• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best fans are... what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arbiter Odie

What are the best 120 millimeter fans available from newegg? And are they worth their price tags?

I ask because Bulldozer arrives tomorrow, and if I need to add fans to my heatsink assembly it'd be good to know my options.

"Best" can mean many things in the world of fans.

If you're looking for something with good static pressure, great CFM, but balanced with noise, pretty much everyone would go for some variation of the Scythe GentleTyphoons.

Not available on Newegg, as far as I can tell.

I want best air-flow with low noise. I don't know what the static pressure rating means.

Let me ask in a slightly different way. Are the noctua fans good/great? They cost the most :p

They are decent, but not outstanding by any means. And sorry to say, but Newegg ain't the place to shop for good fans. If you want good solid performing fans you will need to look elsewhere and probably at a better price than Newegg too. I find Newegg to be a bit of a ripoff on cooling pricing a lot of time. This isn't a knock at Newegg, it's just the way they operate.

Do you have any recommendations? Newegg is the only place I buy parts from. I don't know where to start.

Ok, i use to be the same as you, only shopping from newegg, but honestly you need to branch out, especially if you are getting into cooling as they really dont have the best prices on things like fans, cable adapters, and stuff like that. I know sidewinder pc has ap-15 (scythe gt 1850) for like 17 a piece/

Also try jabtech

Yep, those are 2 of the "go to" vendors on my shopping list; both are very good. A few others I have used in the past are FrozenCPU, Performance PCs and SVC. Jab-tech is selling the Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans for $15.95, which is pretty good pricing on them actually.

Last edited:
I'm generally a fan of Scythe fans. Got a few Gentle Typhoons and yes they are good. Got a few of their Slipstream fans running of various systems. I'm happy with them. I'm not one for noise (must be getting old), so prefer 120 mm fans running 800 RPM or slower.

The magic Coolermaster fans folks buy on NE is soon realized, once they get a brain and come and here figure it out.

They suck. As Mpegger said, better to go to other, more informed and better places.

And not much of a beast anymore dude.

Static Pressure is relates to the ability of a fan to move air thru an abstruction(ie radiator/heat exchanger, various punched out grills, etc).
SPCR Slilent PC review has excellent information on fans, be aware their obsession is silent not quiet computing.

I would like to see some comparison of CFM against fan RPM. I have a sneaky suspicion that it wouldn't vary very much between fans of a constant depth.

Air moving makes noise, so high CFM equals more noise. Stay around 1300rpm if you want peace and quiet.

The magic Coolermaster fans folks buy on NE is soon realized, once they get a brain and come and here figure it out.

They suck. As Mpegger said, better to go to other, more informed and better places.

And not much of a beast anymore dude.
LOL It was just a suggestion and only got the fans because they move more air than what i had and are quieter and I only paid $7.00 buck for them shipped to my house..

Everyone here has given you great advice...

Here's what I have for you: When in doubt; check the reviews section of the site: 65 Fans tested on Meghalems. The review is a bit old now, but all the fans that you would be considering are included on it.

Back