• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best folding (p35?) mobo for all these new C2Q's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pscout

Senior Newbie Cannon-Fodder - R. I. P. good budd
With prices now reduced at my local retailer for Q6600's (but no supply till Tues) I thought it best to to a bit more mobo research for what will be best to house them for a dedicated folding rig.

I had bought a p5k a couple of weeks ago without much research to replace a dead p5b-d that was running a 6400. It oc'ed fairly well running the 6400 at 470x7 and balistix 6400 mem at 1128.

But i thought before i buy another one, some research was in order. I limited my research to a few manufacturers' p35 mobo's that are on my shortlist having both experience with them and good reputations for ability to OC and reliability.

So the ones i have focused research on so far are asus p5k family, gigabyte and a litttle on abit. Since my farm is all asus and gigibyte atm split almost 50/50 they are my incumbents. I used abit 478 and some as8 775 mobos but my primary mobo retailer dropped them after I bought my last as8 due to their takeover etc. And abit seems to have only recently started getting back to their old 478 levels recently with c2d.

One thing that spurred me to research more was the p5k's lack of a ps2 mouse port. Maybe not a big deal for some unless all you have is kvm's that support ps/2 which is my case. Yeah, there are adpaters but i saw some evidence of use mouse problems with linux, and usb interfaces are not nearly as built in as ps/2 to virtually every bios and mobo. I try to avoid unnecessary complications especially on folding rigs.

I read a few threads yesterday that lead me to think about the p5k-se and p5k vm as cheaper alternatives to the base p5k after reading one thread that the p5k-vm appears to oc at least into the high 400's fsb, although not tested with integrated video enabled. I couldn't find any results on the p5k-se on oc'ing but it looked like the main difference was prolly all the pwm and chips heatinks/heatpipes are missing - not sure it is worth paying $10-20 less for it..

But then today I read this article which shows ~ 30 Watts higher power consumption at load :eek: on the asus p5k (deluxe)!
http://techreport.com/reviews/2007q2/p35-mobos/index.x?pg=16
If this holds at OC, that is a serious consideration for 724 folding rigs if all else is equal!

Looking at a few of the reviews, it looked like all the the asus p5k, giga ds3r and abit ip35 hit close to 500 fsb by several reviewers and their test cpu's appeared to be the limiters. Since i don't expect (m)any of us energy/heat conscious folders are going to be running fsb>500 for 724 folding, they all appear to meet the oc'ing requirement.

so i looked back at my retailers' mobo pricing/availability and my list is now shortened a bunch since they don't carry the abit ip35, in fact it isn't listed at any of the 3 retailers i use regularly.

So my list is narrowed to to either one of the p5k's or the giga GA-P35-DS3R.
The ds3r is actually cheaper, yet has raid capability with the ich9R vs the ich9 in the p5k's non-deluxes under consideration. While most dedicated folding rigs aren't likely to be running raid, I do run 1 wxp folding rig as a backup to my main rig and so i like to have a small raid 1 on it. The ds3R also has a ps/2 mouse port.

Linux considerations next ... I already have 1 p5k and it loaded ubuntu 7.04 fine. and has been folding fine over a week. The only issue i have had with it is the kernel reported that it 'lost' and disabled the usb mouse once.

I have a bunch of giga ds3 rev 3.3's that have a hard time running the onboard marvel nic in 7.04. 6.10 couldn't even use the newer marvel lan chips on them at all. Out of 6 mobo's only 1 seems to run it at all, and even it's lan connection seems to come and go regularly. For the other 5, I put old pci nics in since they wouldn't even keep the lan active long enough to setup folding etc over the lan. This is a linux driver/kernel problem since the nics all work fine in wxp.
... Fortunately the p35-ds3r has a realtek onboard nic so i am hopeful.

The only other unknown for me with the ds3R will be if it has any issues loading 7.04 with the ich9r. I will not be trying to run raid in linux so hopefully that will not be an issue.

That is where i am at so far ... ds3r will be my next folding mobo. I will also validate that power consumption test using my ups to measure it. Hopefully no linux issues.

If the power consumption test confirm that review i linked, then i will not bother testing a p5k-vm. It still has some appeal, especially if the mobo will oc with the integrated video enabled. Not sure if i would want to pay a 40% power premium to replace a $10-20 pci video card even with the added bonus cleaner caseless setup with NO expansion cards required (assuming it oc's well with integrated video enabled). The p5k-vm might still be interesting to some since it is cheaper than the ds3r if the to-be-confirmed higher power consumption is not an issue. If it oc's with integrated video enabled, that would just be a bonus.

I would not say i have done exhaustive research, so please feel free to comment :)

I can see myself buying 1 or 2 of the winner in the next few months before the p38's come out. It is soundiing like the luxury version of the p35 so unless the preformance is substantially better, i expect the p35 will be the new folding rig base for a while. Of course there is also the nvidia 650/680 chipset mobo's, but other than the ability to run the memory speeds decoupled from the fsb speed, I haven't read much that would make me want to seriously try them out for my folding farm.

/update ... the P35-DSR3 testing is underway with a q6600 SLACR G0 stepping. The cpu is very nice hitting 350 fsb limited testing stale with only 1.275 V. However, this mobo has huge vdoop :eek: so I though i would post this as a warning till I complete my oc'ing of it.
It also seems to take a lot of MCH V to oc the memory much ... and this increase in MCH (aka MB) V is very noticable in power draw under load.

Also, the ds3r, as with my other ds3's will not post with 2 sticks of some older ballistix 6400 ram I have ... but this appears to be a problem only with my older ballistix 6400 ... the new stuff shows up on giga's QVL list should should work fine. All testing so far with OCZ 8500 platinum.

The P5K vanilla seems to suffer high vdroop as well, and my preliminary conclusion is the i will buy more ds3r's before i will buy a nother p5k vanilla.
P5k deluxe may be ok since it is not supposed to have the vdroop issue. but for a stipped down folding only rig it is too expensive to include in my comparison. I am sure others will get the deluxe so we can include their results here if they want.

Last edited:
dfonda said:
So a BIOS update won't allow say a PB5 to work with these?

I think it will although I haven't checked.

The reason i wrote the thread is for those needing a new mobo to house the quads.

I have 4 non-c2d/c2q capable farm rigs to be retired soon, so I am looking for new ones.

P5b is also likely a good choice. I have one and am not planning to upgrade it now other than potentially putting a q6600 on it. But when I do need to replace a mobo, I like to move to newer chipsets rather than spending more on the n-1 versions. Its my way of keeping the 16 rigs fairly current. 9 of my current farm rigs are 965 based, and i am not planning on replacing them anytime soon.

The $ advantange of the p5b vs the lowend p35's is not that large for me. But for those on a tighter budget needing a new mobo, it is pretty close (here) in price to the p5k-vm.
I am not sure if there is any significant folding perf advantage with the p35 vs the 965 mobo's.

ok, I would share my thought.....

I have a DS3R running Ubuntu 7.04 w/ a Q6600. and I actually never had any lan issue w/ either DS3 or the newer DS3R under Ubuntu (6.10 or 7.04). in fact, i do encounter lan problem (can't get it install) under WinXP Pro tho!

the DS3R (will most likely be my next folder choice of mobo) is fine w/ Ubuntu, did not have any issue (at least for me), and lm-sensors works fine too.

I too thought 'bout trying out the IP35 or P5K to try too, but for a pure folder mobo, I think I would still choice the DS3R over them from the price & performance point of view tho. plus as Pete pointed out, PS/2 is important for farmer or people who use KVM to control their folder.

I believe it was vrzone that had a DS3R that hit 575 with a X6800 and hit 450+ with a Q6600..

(I didn't read your whole post, as its difficult to read these forums in a text browser (links).)

the 965 chipset supports quads too. Just a bios update away.

As I see it the 16% ram bandwidth advantage the P35 chipset has over the P965/75 chipset could gain you very a significant production boost running two SMP instances on a quad. If you only intend to build one rig and have a big budget, you should consider motherboards supporting DDR3. With DDR3 memory now available @ 1600 MHz (The new Super Tallent stuff will run @ 2000 MHz), 7-7-7 the ram bandwidth is about 30% greater than that of DDR2 1067. This advantage won't work for farmers due to the high cost of the motherboard and ram but could have you making a bit over 4000 ppd from a single rig.

LandShark said:
ok, I would share my thought.....

I have a DS3R running Ubuntu 7.04 w/ a Q6600. and I actually never had any lan issue w/ either DS3 or the newer DS3R under Ubuntu (6.10 or 7.04). in fact, i do encounter lan problem (can't get it install) under WinXP Pro tho!

the DS3R (will most likely be my next folder choice of mobo) is fine w/ Ubuntu, did not have any issue (at least for me), and lm-sensors works fine too.

I dunno what it is with gigabyte and onboard nics :shrug: ... but that makes me feel better about the ds3r and 7.04 since I am going to pick one up today.

The lack of a ps/2 port on the p5k's can be overcome with a $5 adapter in terms of plugging into the kvm, but it still bothers me that you even need to spend anything, and extra piece of cabling, + the fact that liniux/wxp still sees it as a usb device.

BTW i just ordered 2 q6600's :D ... $290 cdn online from ncix.com. A bit of shipping cost is more than offset by the 7% prov tax savings, and is $30 less than my cheapest local before tax :)
... they are backordered tho but hopefully they end up shipping the G0 stepping.

LandShark said:
:bang head can't you just give me a break and let me have my seat a bit longer? :argue:

:p

:eek: ... well .... they are backordered :D
+ they ship from vancouver ... that should buy you a week or more :)

pscout said:

Well that should make you feel alot better Gary! ;):):)

/thead-jack/

Will the DS3 PCB v.1.0's run a Q6600?

pscout said:
oh, tks buddy!! :eek: :D

man, I started wondering do you guys work for my local power company or they are paying you to do that huh?? :rolleyes: :p
ihrsetrdr said:
Well that should make you feel alot better Gary! ;):):)

/thead-jack/

Will the DS3 PCB v.1.0's run a Q6600?
yes, it will. just flash to the latest BIOS and it'll be fine.

ChasR said:
As I see it the 16% ram bandwidth advantage the P35 chipset has over the P965/75 chipset could gain you very a significant production boost running two SMP instances on a quad. If you only intend to build one rig and have a big budget, you should consider motherboards supporting DDR3. With DDR3 memory now available @ 1600 MHz (The new Super Tallent stuff will run @ 2000 MHz), 7-7-7 the ram bandwidth is about 30% greater than that of DDR2 1067. This advantage won't work for farmers due to the high cost of the motherboard and ram but could have you making a bit over 4000 ppd from a single rig.
Damn you!

You now know that I'm running Gary's X3210 @ 400x8, with RAM @ 1000 and timings in the vicinity of 4-4-3-8. That's on a P5B Deluxe.

But I also have a DS3R in my gaming rig.....would it be worth it to switch boards? It's not that big a deal for me, just got vista ultimate and planning to do a format and reinstall shortly anyways.

Edit. And two SMP instances on a quad? It's that something in Linux?

cw823 said:
Edit. And two SMP instances on a quad? It's that something in Linux?

You can run 2 smp clients in linux.

I think it can be done in win too but it would be pointless I think (no pun intended) since win smp runs the cores at 100% with 1 client. The other problem in win smp is you can't stop each client by itself ... stop 1 they both stop, or so I have read. I didn't try it myself because of the 100% utilization on 1 instance. Apparently due to the mpiexec implementation they has to do on WIN. I have read they will try to fix this.

In linux, few of the wu's will run all 4 cores near 100% ... 2608/9 get close.

get 2 2604/5's on a linux box and you will get ~ 4k ppd at 3 ghz.

But 2 x 2608/09's will get the lowest ppd vs any single or 2 instance mix and it is better to run them through 1 at a time.

also on linux quads you can get a lot of 305x's and if you run 1 with a 2608/9 the 305x will not meet its preferred deadline, at least not at ~ 3 ghz that mine run at.

So be careful with 2 instances in linux, cuz not meeting the 1 day preferred deadline on 305x is very bad for the science.

Last edited:
/me hopes ChasR sees my question about swapping my DS3R with the P5B Deluxe (P5B is currently running my quad). He mentioned better bandwidth.....

cw823 said:
/me hopes ChasR sees my question about swapping my DS3R with the P5B Deluxe (P5B is currently running my quad). He mentioned better bandwidth.....

My guess is it might do a little better ... not sure how much tho since it depends how fast your memory will go. The comparisons i read on 965 vs p35 mobos didn't show any significant performance increase at same clocks, at least on the benchmarks they ran including sandra bandwidth. But the p35 will run memory faster if your memory will do it.

I should be firing up my new ds3r this week with a G0 q6600. I never got around to trying an x3210 in it so i won't have a more direct comparison until i do some testing of the q6600 at the 8 multi. I will be trying some ocz 8500 and ballistix 6400 in it ... both of these have run >1100 in a p5K.

Hey Pete when you establish a list of best boards, will you be putting that in your first post?

Mobo, Price

Then we can just buy the one thats number one on your list.;) Or pick the one in our price range.

Last edited:
dfonda said:
Hey Pete when you establish a list of best boards, will you be putting that in your first post?

Mobo, Price

Then we can just buy the one thats number one on your list.;) Or pick the one in our price range.

That was my original intent.

While I focused mostly on what I have shortlisted for me to actually try out myself, I can also include other's recommendations for mobo's I haven't tried myself.

Since it looks like I will have to get 1 more new mobo in the short term I may try out a p5k-vm if my power consumption tests on the p5k vs ds3r indicate the p5k isn't too far out of line. I am still a bit leery of it tho due to lack of some of the oc settings.

Also, I expect to only be testing base models, but it would be a pretty good bet that the enhanced/deluxe models of the same mobos would be at least as good.

I have a P5K on the way, with the intention of it trying a quad with Corsair Dominator ram @ x7, 1:1, 942 MHz, 4-4-4-12 (assuming a G0 will hit 3.3 GHZ like my B3). If that proves to boost quad output, I'll try a P5KC and some fast DDR3 and see what happens. There is no point moving to the p35 chipset if your ram maxes out at 800 MHz. I don't think it would be prudent to upgrade a P5B to a P35 chipset motherboard either. I'd build any new rig with the P35 chipset.

I am testing the P35-DS3R now with a Q6600 G0 ... cpu is very nice ... I am forming some reservations about the ds3r tho due to high vdroop, and needing a lot of NB volts for memory OC.

I edited the first post with a preliminary warning just in case someone decided to buy it based on my analysis. Further research indicated vdroop is common to this mobo.

I haven't compared it yet with the p5k and the same q6600 so it may still win between the 2 :shrug:

Back