• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best for my E8400 and DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
its an easy overclocker i manage to do 4ghz at 1.3v on a p35 with very comfortable temps should be a fun overclock for you 4.2 shouldn't be hard.

if you've had the 8400 for a while im surprised you've waited so long to oc it has so much potential

I was able to push my E8400 to 4GHz on a EP45-UD3R on stock volts with ease, 4.5GHz with a slight bump, and 5GHz with a little more bump. Gotta love the ease of overclocking on these Gigabyte boards.

Can't wait to hear what you are able to achieve.

u guys make these p45 boards seem like godsends lol wish i had gotten a p45 but I knew less back then and i wont bother getting one now since this board does me enough for now i don't think it wise for me to invest in a 775 platform anymore

its an easy overclocker i manage to do 4ghz at 1.3v on a p35 with very comfortable temps should be a fun overclock for you 4.2 shouldn't be hard.

if you've had the 8400 for a while im surprised you've waited so long to oc it has so much potential

It's kinda a funny story really...... I picked up the E8400 in a combo deal for my wifes computer with at G31 board over a year ago.... I also picked up a new P6N Diamond Pro for a 65nm quad core rig I wanted to build. The 8400 was basically an impulse buy, but when I got home I did some research and said.... Um, ya I think I'll keep that chip for myself and loaded it on the G31 for a gaming system and pretty much forgot about the Diamond Pro, thinking I would use that at a later date....

needless to say... the Diamond Pro is sitting in the corner of my desk collecting dust.... shame really. I wonder if anyone can use one around here...LOL.

Oh well, I have the right mobo, chip combo now, I'm happy.

It's kinda a funny story really...... I picked up the E8400 in a combo deal for my wifes computer with at G31 board over a year ago.... I also picked up a new P6N Diamond Pro for a 65nm quad core rig I wanted to build. The 8400 was basically an impulse buy, but when I got home I did some research and said.... Um, ya I think I'll keep that chip for myself and loaded it on the G31 for a gaming system and pretty much forgot about the Diamond Pro, thinking I would use that at a later date....

needless to say... the Diamond Pro is sitting in the corner of my desk collecting dust.... shame really. I wonder if anyone can use one around here...LOL.

Oh well, I have the right mobo, chip combo now, I'm happy.

I've got that same board sitting in this garage machine I'm posting from now. It took a Q6600 that my 780i could barely get stable at 4.0GHz up to 4.3 with no issues. I was using 1066ram for the overclocking headroom too. Crucial Ballistix they are I believe. And I have a 8800GTS in here. I also run with the 8800GTZ and with an 8800GT as a secondary Folding card. But I swapped the 8800GT into another rig so I could run two of them out here.

Anyway, the good thing about that Gigabyte board is that at higher overclocks, I seemed to get less voltage droop to the CPU and Memory than I do with the 780i. Also, the 780i tends to overheat on the chipset even though I've got a couple of good 30CFM 40mm fans blow on it. But the Gigabyte board just takes the heat and does great with it. I think you'll hit 4.2 easy. 4.5 is going to need some close temp monitoring and a lot of voltage. My Q6600 took 1.475 to hit 4.2GHz. Something my 780i wouldn't get it too stably. So you've got a great base to work with to over clock that 8400. I have an 8400 on a cheapo mobo. But I might yank that, update the BIOS on the 780i and then see what damage I can do with my Corsair Dominator 1066 ram.

Good luck to ya! My Hyper 212+ is keeping this Q6600 well under control temp wise.

You believe that the Q6600 is going for $150.00 on fleebay????? That's crazy. I knew I waited too long ..... Oh well, maybe I can get lucky and find a good deal on here once I hit 100 posts again..... you know, I used to have over 200 posts, and then things got crazy with my email and I got booted down to noob status again.....

Too funny.... Joined 2006 and only 26 posts now.... LOL

Back