• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best free and best paid antivirus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I had Kaspersky but the license expired.

What is the best free and what is the best paid antivirus?

Is there an antivirus I can buy with the option to install it on 2 machines?

My laptop has a full version of Macaffee but AFAIK that's as good as having a roasted walnut as an antivirus.

Is there a free AV that's almost as good as the best paid AV? Is there that much of a significant difference between paid and free?

What would my best course of action be?

I want to do things that will subject me to viruses and malware like downloading torrents.

Just get Microsoft Security Essentials and call it a day.
Its pre-installed in 8/8.1 also.

I have a hard time believing that's as good as kaspersky.

I've used it since it released and haven't had a virus on any of my machines.
Its spanned 2 laptops, 3 desktops, and my server.

Not to count all the friends and I've recommended it to that use it without issue.

Avast!
It's free and I feel like it does a great job.

I've use Avira before, but it felt..lightweight. Avast! works very well for me.

I also came from Kaspersky, and personally I feel Avast! is just as good.

the best antivirus of all is safe browsing practices

bit defender is the best paid antivirus, I vote for AVG for a free antivirus, security essentials is on the low end when it comes to defending against viruses, but it is light weight and not as in-your-face as many others. I personally stay away from Norton stuff.

bit defender does has the option of multiple device installations

what I do is use a combination of security essentials and good backups as my antivirus. the way I figure it, most antivirus is not worth much anyway, so might as well use something free and lghtweight for whatever it is worth, plus you can usually get rid of a virus by google searching the solution, for those times that your computer is truly borked, just make an image of the current system, use a bare-metal backup to restore to an earlier time, then you can mount the virus infested image to recover any files that you REALLY need, which should be few if you are doing daily backups.

the theory is that a good backup can always solve a virus problem whereas a antivirus will NEVER fix a broken hard drive.

the theory is that a good backup can always solve a virus problem whereas a antivirus will NEVER fix a broken hard drive.

+1
And good browsing habits will always be the best defense.

I would venture a guess that 90% of computer issues start between a chair and a keyboard.

I used AVG for years, but switched to Avast when AVG began to act slow and squirrely a few of years ago. A couple of years ago everything began to run extremely slow, yet Avast scans showed no buggies. Decided to try MSE, so removed Avast and suddenly everything ran like new. For some reason Avast was slowing things down. Anyway, I use MSE and Malwarebytes and have had but ine item slip by: The FBI virus last year that I was able to get rid of myself. Funny, it happened on my wife's laptop ONLY. I blame Facebook/facebook related stuff because I avoided Facebook like the clap at that time while my wife practically lived/lives on it to play games. BTW, three other friends had the FBI virus within two days of us and, yes, all are heavy Facebook users. Rather than letting them pay the Geek Squad $200 per computer, I fixed theirs in exchange for steak dinners.

MSE and safe browsing practices. I have been virus free for years. Also never paid for a/v program.

Before that, Avira until it got bloated like AVG did (not sure if either are now).

Most issues nowadays are not because of viruses but adware, spyware etc so best is to get something like Kaspersky with internet security or whatever it's called. I've noticed it's cleaning system better than all free antiviruses and most paid.
For standard gaming PC where you aren't browsing web all the time, Microsoft Security Essentials is enough. I had it on 2 of my PCs and I've never had any issues.
Right now I have free version of AVG and it's running pretty good.
Really good is Norton but it's making system run slower and it's pain sometimes.

Those were my old personal notes. Install the latest version and skip the product update info.

I will help you do this and you tell me if anything is different in the new version. Hold on until I get my laptop with links and instructions; give me a sec to get off the cell phone.

I looked and it appears Avira Freeware now only has the web installer, which is OK, I prefer full downloads so I can save the version, but the web installer should do the job:
http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-free-antivirus

Tell me if anything is different after the setup downloads and starts:

This is the most important part:
To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > [in Windows 7/8, click on (view by Category) System and Security first] > Administrative Tools [fourth from bottom] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies SO THAT ADDITIONAL RULES SHOWS UP UNDERNEATH > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe

> Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

Ignore Avira's warnings to uninstall Comodo Firewall or similar programs which intercept phone-home attempts.

SELECT: Custom and CHECK: I accept the End User License Agreement > Next >

UNCHECK everything when asked to install Avira Toolbars > Next > Next > Next > Next

Welcome to the Configuration Wizard > Next > Next >

Allow the configuration wizard to keep the default Express Setup options. [Do not Select All.]
(UNCHECK: Application, Games, Jokes, Programs that violate the private domain, and Unusual runtime compression.) > Next > Next >

UNCHECK: Performs a quick systems scan after the installation

Next > Finish >

System Scanner (upper left) > Configuration (upper right) > Yes >
UNCHECK: Follow symbolic links (on right) > System Scanner > Scan > Action on detection >
Set for Automatic, Primary action: Ignore [if you want to just scan folders and get a scan report without deleting files or being prompted what to do if virii/malware are found.]

> General > Security >
Disable being notified every time USB drive has an AUTORUN.INF file:
UNCHECK: Block autorun function
> General > Events > Select: Limit size to max. >
> General > Reports > Select: Limit number to max. >
> General > Alerts > UNCHECK everything except Dial-up connection is used

> OK

> Scheduler [on lower left] > UNCHECK everything.

Also block these two files from accessing the internet, using Comodo Firewall or similar software:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnstub.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

The blocked files are to block Ask toolbar check and to block a popup nag.

apnstub.exe is related to a Toolbar check. AntiVir software checks whether the ASK-Toolbar is already installed on your computer. If the Toolbar is already present, AntiVir will not bother you with a slide-up alert asking you to install it. The apnstub.exe utility will do this check three times (the next three times that you reboot your computer). An additional check is done whenever the AntiVir setup dialog is displayed, in order to once again confirm the presence or absence of the Toolbar. If the ASK-Toolbar is already present, AntiVir will not offer you the setup option for installing the Avira-Toolbar.

ipmgui.exe is related to Avira messaging popup nag.

In case you are not using Windows 8 pro, then:
For Windows XP Home or Windows 8 (non-Pro version) you would need to boot into Safe Mode and log in as Administrator, then
go to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
and right click on it >
Properties > Security TAB >
[Under Group or usernames] SYSTEM > Edit button > CHECK: Deny for Read & execute > Apply > OK > OK

Make sure SYSTEM is set to Deny for Read & execute before rebooting.

That seems really complex, and while I massively appreciate the detailed post, most of it was over my head. I will install Avira free and do the first "most important" thing you told me to do. Is it ok if I ignore the rest? I'm not a software person. At all.

Back