• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best free and best paid antivirus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, that would remove the ads.

Just read the setup options and don't allow it to install any Toolbars.

You can always buy Avira Pro, otherwise, (I think you have Win8 Pro, right?), just do this to remove the ads:

To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > [in Windows 7/8, click on (view by Category) System and Security first] > Administrative Tools [fourth from bottom] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies SO THAT ADDITIONAL RULES SHOWS UP UNDERNEATH > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe

> Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

Post what happens and if this new version has anything you don't like, or notice about it.

The configuration wizard will have this UNCHECKED: Application, Games, Jokes, Programs that violate the private domain, and Unusual runtime compression)

DO NOT CHECK THOSE.

Otherwise, Avira will bug you all the time for everything you want to do or install. That's too paranoid. So leave those things UNCHECKED.

ESET Nod32 and call it a day, try to catch it on sale on newegg. I got a 3 license 1 year pack for $20

ESET is not fully integrating with system what means that virus can disable process what can't be done in Kaspersky or Norton. The same some free AV are not integrating with system.
On the other hand it's good enough for almost everything and price isn't high.

Logically speaking - the products we are talking about are only as good as their post zero day definition updates. We have to worry about system hogs too because what good are stellar definitions if they slow down the system and affect actual computer use?

And finally ease of use. Best example is MSE. Super easy to use, better-than-nothing product that a lot of people use the term 'good enough' to describe... but MSE definitions cannot compete with alternatives...

For the average, competent user, MSE will be fine. If you're not-so-tech-savvy and visit dozens of nefarious sites and click any/all banners haphazardly, then you might consider something with a subscription.

But for probably 90% of the userbase on this forum, MSE is perfectly adequate, IMO.

I've used it since it released and haven't had a virus on any of my machines.
Its spanned 2 laptops, 3 desktops, and my server.

Not to count all the friends and I've recommended it to that use it without issue.

Excuse me...

Just because you was unable to detect a virus doesnt mean there is no virus. Bitdefender is able to detect probably around 95-97% of all malware, so just counting on the scanners results got no meaning, there is still a realistic chance that a malware is able to sneak into the system and the Bitdefender is telling you "all clean". ;) So just dont be foolish,... a scanner isnt a "know it all" and you shouldnt put the entire trust on it. Kaspersky is more or less at the same level such as Bitdefender. But way more important than that is its improved detection against rootkits. Numbers are just guessing, no one knows the exact number! MS Security Essentials is at the very low end and cant be compared to most of the other programs. A lot of stuff would be able to sneak into the system by using MSE, it wont have a high protection but its better than nothing.

In order to detect around 99.9999% of all Virus and Malware someone would be in need of around 50 virus scanners at once, however, thats impossible because not compatible (no matter how powerful a machine is). There is not a single "perfect" virus scanner, but its true that some are more powerful than other scanners and its not necessarely a question of price. Although i think that Kaspersky is a pretty good scanner and i use it myself. The 100% detection ratio isnt realistic and doesnt exist, such a program only god would be able to create. Another difficult thing is to have a scanner as balanced as possible. Its possible to have a better detection ratio in term even more PC ressources used but that means to draw a lot of performance and many of the weaker mainsteam PCs simply arnt powerful enough in order for smooth execution. So a virus scanner program is in need of a certain balance. However, the more options for scanner strenght available the better, because that way a powerful PC would be able to improve detection ratio by adding more powerful scanning mechanism. So a good virus scanner have to to scalable... so it can be adjusted to the power of a certain system. Kaspersky is pretty good doing so, there is a lot of options in term a PC is more powerful.

I have to add, the most dangerous stuff nowadays isnt a virus, its a rootkit. So the power of a virus scanner is coming down to its rootkit detection abilitys, not its primary virus detection. Rootkit can be infused with a virus but a rootkit itself isnt a virus, its a special malware with unique behaviour, a lot more critical than a "raw virus". Once a rootkit was able to "root" itself inside a system, it can be almost impossible to remove properly because it can hog down almost every single system file, the system is basically permanently damaged (in that term the system is "compromised"). Its critical that a rootkit will never be able to even come close to the system, else it can be to late. Some of the compromised systems are unable to be accurately controlled anymore and it can act as a "zombie" PC, so that means another entity or source is able to remote control that PC, every single action that PC is doing (the possibilitys are near endless). Anyway, dont want to go into details, just important to know the most dangerous stuff.

Of course, at least there is a website scanner able to use 50+ scanners at once, but its only usable for website scanning and files up to 64 MB: www.virustotal.com
In term someone is not sure about a websites security, it can be good just to use the virustotal scanner, because there is usualy 2 ways in order to get infected:

1. Clicking on a infected website
2. From local mails (outlook express and such) and/or downloaded files. Although most websites able to pass the virustotal scanner should be free of infected files.

Its not as easy as many of the people do believe. In order to reveal only the peak of that matter, it would need a entire book. MS Security Essentials might be OK for the more experienced users who know how to prevent a system from becoming vulnerable, but any users not experienced enough may have improved security by using a dedicated scanner such as Kaspersky.

Last edited:
Btw: Made a mistaken, was mistaking Bitdefender with the MS Essentials. Of course Bitdefender is at a very high level but MS Essentials is simply a emergency tool that can be used as a backup in term no other scanner available, or for the users who got in mind that they are supreme to any scanner on the planet... its theyr own choice and risk. Some of those users probably got theyr system hooked up/down by Rootkit-like DRMs and they may not even know about and are praising the game companys even if the system is magically acting a bit to slow (thats always the hardwares fault of course). ;)

But most important: As long as a scanner is causing problems with a certain PC or spec, its never good to use. A scanner always should act in the background in the same way such as a sneaky assassin and as soon as another assassin is sneaking into the system it should be assassinated in a gently and quick manner. So as long as a scanner is acting sneaky and powerful at the same time, its a great addition for improved security, but that matter is very important. A scanner permannently causing problems because to harsh or always trying to interfere with user actions is no good... When it comes to Kaspersky (2012, 2013 and 2014) i had very good experience, absolutly no issues at all, its running absolutly sneaky in the background and i wouldnt know its even activated in term im not gonna check. I have no demand in order to switch to another scanner... 20 $ each PC a year (i use a 3+ place version because i got several systems) for a program thats working absolutly silent and smooth is fine for me.

Besides: In term a Scanner is becoming mean because of a certain DRM mechanism from a game there is 2 options: Praise the scanner from becoming mean and give the game back to the company (no one need a DRM) or second option: Allow the game from running (Kaspersky got such a option) without being blocked from scanner and get a free DRM rootkit able to decrease system stability and decrease performance, everyones own choice! Rootkit is a dirty word for good reasons... cant say more than that because it will fill a entire book. But be aware: Once inside a system... most kits wont be able to be removed properly anymore, the system will be bloated and slowed down. I had a similiar problem when i tried to remove a burning program once... after uninstall, i was able to detect countless data still left inside the system and it was absoutly impossible to make a proper removal, the entire system was bloated up by a immense amount of misguided bits because it had a behaviour similiar to a rootkit. Final solution was to make a clean reinstall of the entire system... yes thats sad, so i rather avoid such programs. All that stuff is able to decrease overal system stability... and thats not fun.

Last edited:
Yes, do not use more than one anti virus program the same time, they can be incompatible with each other and (I found out the hard way a long time ago) might cause major performance problems...

As a general rule ALWAYS uninstall existing anti virus program before installing another one.

One last question- before I install Avira, do I have to remove MSE? Thanks.

The above poster is correct about MSE's defintions.

I personally resolved the problem Ivy is talking about by installing all my Operating Systems on relatively small SSD partitions - then once in a while I just boot from Windows 8 to Windows XP for example and nuke Windows 8 and in a couple of minutes I am back inside a custom Windows 8 image from which everything that might have gotten through got nuked.

This takes me less time than a short bathroom break does so I do it regularly.

I found it unnecessary to pay for Anti Virus software because Avira freeware's definitions compete with Norton and Kaspersky.

General rule: Scanners arnt compatible with each others, same for firewalls. But the truth is a bit more delicate: There can be exceptions but such stuff have to be carefully investigated and without advanced knowledge i would stay away from "combining" scanners and/or firewalls. More important than that is that the scanner and firewall is protected against "disabled condition", so it should be able to merge itself with the system for improved security against such "disable hacks". Although its totaly safe to use a hardware firewall and a software firewall at once, they should not conflict with each others and many modems already got a hardware firewall enabled.

In general being logged in into a system without admin rights may improve security because it may be harder for the malware to perform a critical execution, although its not impossible. So in term someone is in need of the functions admin rights are offering, they should not be to shy from using it. Its simply a additional layer of security (same counts for using scanner, its a layer of security but not foolproof).

Btw: The Avira definitions may compete with paid programs but usualy free editions got many "cutted down" functions and arnt fully functional. Some of the cutted down functions may even hinder a powerful PC from using a more demanding setting in order to improve detection to even higher levels. But just as i said, those programs are called Virus Scanners in everyday language, but the truth is that there is many malware not falling into the category "virus" but can cause even more damage to the PC. A good scanner is a broadband scanner able to detect any sort of malware, not just a virus. Well a virus is kind of a core, but there is different APIs in order to inject a virus into the core. The problematic spot is to be able to avoid the injection because once detected it may be to late. So a good scanner is having some advanced heuristics implemented in order to detect a injection-behaviour without even knowing the core (it may create lot of "false positive" but decision comes down to the user, scanner will simply report a suspect). So what i want to say is that it doesnt only come down to the "definition" but to the detection outside of the definition. Another sometimes underestimated spot is the correct configuration of the firewall, some users are allowing way to many stuff and kinda got some unnecessary holes, so that means they offer some improved opportunity for injection. Some scanners are offering a firewall (included) with better and/or easyer customization of the firewall and its programs allowed, so the windows firewall is good to have but not necessarely the only choice or the first choice. I dont say free edition of Avira is bad, but i just want to say that its truly important to check out every single spot the use of a scanner is able to provide and some functionalitys may be worth to pay for.

Final Conclusion: Yet, there are people still paying for a OS and/or Antimalware programs. The reason? Well, i guess 90% of all PCs would be able to run fine without any money spend on neither OS nor Antimalware programs (because majority of people dont play games*), but like 80% of the people either pay for OS and/or Malware programs. But what they pay for?! I would say the main reasons is:

1. Improved customization for people who simply want the best, OCers may understand (mainly Antimalwareprograms)
2. *Improved compatibility (mainly OS, especially for gamers)
3. Easyer to use (mainly OS, some people still struggle to install a Ubuntu**)
4. Because the OEM vendor was already selling a system with Windows and/or paid Antimalwaresoftware (Norton was pretty popular doing so) included, that (bind vendor to our OS) stuff is surprisingly effective. Majority of people wont even think of getting a "free OS" because they simply pay a entire PC with OS already included (and cost was artificially raised). To make decision even easyer many OEMs are including a paid virus scanner with around 30-60 days free of use and because majority is to lazy to remove, they may continuing using that scanner.

**Although Windows 8 is such a hassle to install and all the dirty app functions, personally i may find it easyer to install a unstable Archlinux with incompatible PC parts gathered from a pile of electronical junk and nailed/soldered together with the cheapest soldering tin ever found paired with the worst soldering bolt found on wallmart and made with the worst light bulb on the entire planet in the middle of the night and with a custom water cooler attached on a dated CPU that would never be able to fit. ;) Long life WIN7! IMHO: Best OS: WIN7, Archlinux (advanced users not gaming) + Ubuntu (everyone except gamers). Best paid Antivirus: Kaspersky (prehaps Bitdefender or Malwarebytes is just as good). Free Antivirus: Really hard to say, because i lack testing (i simply didnt use so far). Its probably Avast! and Avira on top of the ranks.

Last edited:
On the gaming rig in sig..... No Anti Virus. N/A nothing don't need it. My PC only and it goes to gaming only. Hack half the time posting in forums happens on mobile or the second floor PC.

everything else - Avast. Peer gaurdian and malware bytes. I suggest purchase of malware bytes, it's pretty hardcore.

Indeed, Malwarebytes is probably one of the most powerful scanners, personally i count those 3 paid scanners as the most powerful: Kaspersky, Malwarebytes and Bitdefender. Kaspersky is probably the one with the best interface, Bitdefender is pretty balanced and Malwarebytes is a bit tricky but its "hard drugs" with one of the most powerful scan engines ever made.

But there is many paid scanners very close to them, the market is huge. Im not a tester, i stick to my scanner and as long as its working well i wont switch around, im autistic and love a stable approach.

From the free versions Malwarebytes got a free version too (with less functionality) and of course Avast! and Avira was already brought up by other users, they surely are outstanding stuff. But paid scanners may offer more functionality and general options, which can be of advantage dependable on needs and hardware. There is no need for paying but the very best stuff (the peak no one truly needs) may have a price. The Malwarebyte may have the highest detection, however, as a free version its not as powerful such as the Avast or Avira because it will have to be updated manually, so it may not have up to date database because no one can be bothered to update it daily (truly a disadvantage). It may be good for users who arnt online a lot and want to update the scanner as soon as they go online... so many of the scanners may have different uses. ;) But for majority of free users i would say either go for Avast! or Avira.

Btw: A virus is a (specified) malware (or part of a malware), there is no difference, just because a program is called "Malwarescanner" its exactly the same functions such as a "Antivirusscanner", they just use different name tag.

Last edited:
Ivy, the systems in question are clean to both the bootable Bitdefender and Malwarebytes scans.
Thanks for the novel though

When used both, they surely offer very high security because both of them are pretty powerful. Not sure about the compatibility but it may work to use both of them (it depends on the mechanism of the scan engine).

I always write novels, else there is no meaning. The only thing im better at than any animal is at writing a novel... all the other stuff animals can be more supreme (black humour: and i am better at destroying the earth but got no interest). :)

Ivy, the systems in question are clean to both the bootable Bitdefender and Malwarebytes scans.

All of Ivy's posts are novellas. I enjoy them. He doesn't leave anything out. If only all posters were as dilligent and generous with their time and thoughts.:thup:

There is something to be said about clear and concise posting... especially when there is a language barrier to be overcome as it makes it easier to understand the point of the post. One can be thorough as well as clear and concise. :)

Last edited:
From my experience, I just know that longer post = less readers and barely anyone will answer for most of the post or use any tips included. Even though it can give best answers, most forum users just move to the next post.

The thing is and i will be harsh on that matter, so just excuse me for being to honest: Im not a fool, i do know reality and that means that im well aware of the way how 90% of humanity is acting. Thats why we have so many problems or low education on many spots. So excuse me for being destructive to a lot of peoples feelings but they should know what i feel because they deserve my honest view because i do still respect them all, no matter theyr mentality and approach.

However, me and prehaps around 10% of the people are truly dissatisfied with the way how most topics are made: They are usualy made of around houndreds of "single sentence" entrys... and most topics are somewhat handled kinda like a chat, a chat that will just never fade... And like 90% of all those entrys are nearly useless because almost no real content to me. Yes just point at me, call me a witch or whatever but thats how i feel.

Because for that reason, i write a lot of blogs and are becoming less and less active on forums. Just very few people may read my blogs but i just dont care. I value those 10 people reading my blog way more than 1000 people reading single sentence related posts theyr whole day. Although the overclockers forum isnt the most extreme case. I know some swiss forums they have like a few words every single post... and there is like 1000 pages and probably 10000 posts (yes one thousand pages and ten thousand posts!) and no one can really be bothered to read all those 1000 pages filled with 90% crap, yet people dont really read them all. There is usualy around 10-20 (changing) users permannently "attacking" each others by countless "chatting words" filled in a lenght of over 1000 pages (just as i said this forum isnt that crazy, its still OK regarding that matter) and majority of people are having fun... just writing countless 1 sentence posts year after year...

But at the end of the year, most of them just was seeking for cheap social interaction, they wasnt seeking for genuine knowledge, else they just was able to read a book or a good blog, probably better deal than most of the forums. Thing is, they dont care... they just want a cheap social interaction, so take reality how reality is meant to be but do not blame me for being to stupid to understand, i was thinking about that matter for over ten years already and i just take it how it is, i have to accept reality just as everyone else.

I write my stuff for the 10 or prehaps just 1% of the users who really care what i write... and im proud if just 1% of all users are reading it, i dont need more than that... because i do actually care for minoritys too and not only majoritys. And because majority of users didnt read the current post they may not even know how i feel and nobody should feel offended, thats very good... i simply loving it when there is minoritys instead of majoritys, so im perfectly fine, thanks all for reading it or for "leaving it out" too. ;)
And to inform you about another issue: Some people say that my stuff is hard to read: I dont really care because lets say my stuff is easy to read, any reader would just "fly over my words" and they may not investigate the meaning properly. Those who are truly interested may have a "hard time" but if they truly try hard to understand, they may achieve a even better understanding. So... human mind is simply shaped like thise: It need a special settings else the brain will easely forget way to many stuff. But ultimately... i give my best to make proper spelling but im well aware that the content is more important than proper spelling. It doesnt really matter to me if 90% of the users are valuing it or not... in term it really does, i would have to backup the majoritys decision on how they treat the earth but i dont (excuse me for being mean). Im perfectly fine serving minoritys... so i tell to the minority: Thank you for reading it.

Guess i already told once? I was able to win a price on a US website for writing a text with my bad spelling, because the people did care my content and i was even able to drag a majority to my side... so its even possible to touch a majority too but its usualy not including a forum. Its meant to entertain people who truly are interested into reading novels and blogs and i do really value those people. Ultimately, people like you, even if they got blue or green tagged names, simply arnt my readers... and im perfectly fine with that reality. And im well aware that i would never be able to own a "shiny tagged name" because of spelling, and once again, i dont truly care. I only care the words content, no matter hard to read or not. And in term im interested into someones words, i would travel to the moon and back, no matter the cost... i will overcome the hardship handling it, thats the "old US mentality" at least, but unfortunately not the "new age US mentality". In term i have no interest, spelling isnt a matter, i would not even be able to travel to my nightbours door next to my home. Prehaps majority of people should eat lesser gentech food (its not a special shape, its a genetically normalized standart shape, thats why all corn or apples will soon look the same) and it may help providing some better mental power... i dunno, but at least im honest with everyone, i can afford to be honest because im not seeking for self centered advantage, i could care less my personal gain. In term im self centered i would probably meet a very expensive and knowledgable english teacher able to tell me how to make "sentences for dummys", so they have it easy to read. Then i would execute countless 1 sentence posts with perfect spelling and may even become a colorfully tagged name too... but i truly could care less. I would lose my unique identity, the identity im proud about, because thats simply how i am and i can afford to be different, i dont need to be praised by majority. In term it would be the case i feel something is wrong! Oh noes my tea is out... yet majority of people isnt drinking my special tea and either i should worry (because coca cola is probably better for health) or i should enjoy... i definitely enjoy.

Sorry for off topic but it seems like a very people was seeking for a statement and in term no one did i will take the blame. Anyway, thanks for entertaining me, i really love those comments above, im not mad at all.

However, once again, i would stop telling the people that theyr systems are perfectly clean in term they find nothing (any meaning equivalent to that). In term someone cant handle my novel regarding that matter its theyr own choice but they should not misguide other people out of "believe", its not a believe its a exact science. The people who are truly knowledgable, way more than me, far more even, arnt bothering posting inside that forum or most other forums because they know themself that theyr knowledge wont be praised at all and they got other interests rather than trying to knock down a wall of people heading a different way of approach (some sort of easy minded single sentence entertainment). However, i did already meet many of those people and i was very impressed about the huge knowledge many of them was able to offer to me. In this forum, Bobnova was the only one truly able to impress me, i know im blunt and i probably shouldnt reveal my truth another time (i dont want to offend).

Last edited:
Back