• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best GPU for running a Two way SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dynamite

Registered
hey guys,
im planning a build for the next month.
i was just trying to select GPU's for running a two-way SLI
currently i have chosen the following specs ( everything about this build can be changed) -
AMD FX 6300
8 gigs of RAM
700 W PSU (or above)
MoBo - Suggestions please ?
GPU's - Suggestions ?
1TB HDD

You're much better off going with 1 more powerful Gpu then 2 lesser Gpus, especially when using an AMD cpu.
What screen resolution are you planning on running?
Are you planning on overclocking?
What exactly do you plan to use the rig for?
You do not need a 700W Psu for 1 card and make sure you get a quality unit.
What is you overall budget and we can be more helpful in your build.

the screen resolution im going to run is a full HD 1080p with most games on medium-high setting. looking to get about 50-ish average FPS on graphic demanding games. I mostly plan to use this for gaming as i already have a laptop for other purposes. my overall budget is about 600$.

I'll save time, you are in most cases better off buying a single more powerful card.

Radeon 290x comes to mine, or a Nvidia 780.

EDIT: Ninnnnjaaa'd

I'll save time, you are in most cases better off buying a single more powerful card.

But the thing is that right now with my budget i only have about 150$ to spend on GPU. SO, what i thought was that now i will get an entry level Gpu and then in the future get another GPU and run a dual setup.

But the thing is that right now with my budget i only have about 150$ to spend on GPU. SO, what i thought was that now i will get an entry level Gpu and then in the future get another GPU and run a dual setup.

You'd be better getting a 750Ti with that budget then selling it later when you can afford a better single GPU.

The issue with multi-GPU setups on low-mid range cards is memory bus width and memory amounts.

Also, multi-GPU doesn't always scale well (and in some cases doesn't get used at all).
Most games are around 70-80% scaling, with some as low as 50% (assuming the game actually uses the second GPU)

+1
On those cards, the only games you'll get below 60fps on MAX settings are games like Crysis 3.

Edit: oops thought $600 was GPU budget only. Follow ATMs advice then.

You'd be better getting a 750Ti with that budget then selling it later when you can afford a better single GPU.

The issue with multi-GPU setups on low-mid range cards is memory bus width and memory amounts.

Also, multi-GPU doesn't always scale well (and in some cases doesn't get used at all).
Most games are around 70-80% scaling, with some as low as 50% (assuming the game actually uses the second GPU)

OK, so I should get a gtx 750ti and then sell it later and get a higher end card . but instead of a 750ti I saw that the r7 260x performs better when paired with Amd 6300....

Last edited:
BIG +1 on the bigger single card, my sli 760's will never match a single, bottom of the line 770.

so,
just for comparison,
which GPU performs better under -
no overclocking
only gaming ( nothing else as i have a secondary pc for that)
mainly shooters ( medium-high setting)
full HD 1080p

the two GPU that have been recommended to me are -
Nvidia Geforce GTX 750ti
Amd Radeon R7 260X

which one should i go with?

Dynamite, what I like to do is Google reviews for cards (so those two for you) and cherry pick the benchmarks for the types of games I play.
The big reviewers will run like 15 different games at multiple resolutions and post the results. Look for the top couple of games you'd play at the 1080p results and see which card is better.
Maybe one tends to run shooters better, and the other runs racing games better, well then you know which to choose.

so,
just for comparison,
no overclocking
full HD 1080p

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750ti
Amd Radeon R7 260X

The R7 260X performs a hair better, but the 750 Ti has half the power draw (and therefore half the heat output) of the 260X.

As GearingMass said, which games specifically do you play?

The R7 260X performs a hair better, but the 750 Ti has half the power draw (and therefore half the heat output) of the 260X.

As GearingMass said, which games specifically do you play?
after going with gearingmass's advice i checked some benchmarks for both the cards.
What i could make out was that the r7 260X performs better in more open-world games ( Assassin's creed 4) while the 750ti performed better at graphic-intensive shooters (battlefield4).
the types of games that i play mostly are bioshock - infinite , arma 3 , bf4 .......
the r7 265 also performed very well with the same price tag..

now, i just need some help choosing a motherboard that-
has 4 slots for ram -
a gpu PCI-e x16 slot
no overclocking
preferably full size ITX form factor but any will work.

after going with gearingmass's advice i checked some benchmarks for both the cards.
What i could make out was that the r7 260X performs better in more open-world games ( Assassin's creed 4) while the 750ti performed better at graphic-intensive shooters (battlefield4).
the types of games that i play mostly are bioshock - infinite , arma 3 , bf4 .......
the r7 265 also performed very well with the same price tag..

now, i just need some help choosing a motherboard that-
has 4 slots for ram -
a gpu PCI-e x16 slot
no overclocking
preferably full size ITX form factor but any will work.

Sounds like the 750Ti is more of a fit for your game choices to me.

You say "full size ITX", but we typically either see ATX, mATX, or mITX.
Which were you looking for?

so,
just for comparison,
no overclocking
full HD 1080p

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750ti
Amd Radeon R7 260X

This will serve as a very good reference point. Read the whole thing. Its very interesting. I've done SLI several times in the same manner that you mention. Buy one card then SLI it later when I could afford a second card. It never really panned out for me. The best advise is really to buy the biggest badest card that you can afford. To answer your question: the best card to SLI or cross fire, it the biggest badest card ever made time 2. Now you're talking about 2 grand for graphics.

Sounds like the 750Ti is more of a fit for your game choices to me.

You say "full size ITX", but we typically either see ATX, mATX, or mITX.
Which were you looking for?
Oops,
im really sorry.
It was "Typo".
I meant 'ATX' is what i preferred but any size is fine.

Back