• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Graphics card???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimbob7

Looking for the best grphics card i can buy.....

The g force 5900????

or is it the ATA 9800???

are there any others???

Thanks ;)

Thats a question I've been asking myself to lately and after reading several hardware reviews this is what I came up with. The benches are so close with thoes 2 cards it's hard to pick a winner. So if I were you and had a wad of cash to drop on a new vid card I'd find the cheepest site that has eather of them and go for it. And if by chance someone out there has seen a hardware review that clearly showes eather of the 2 cards stomping the crud out of the other one please post a link so I can see it and know the truth myself.

i have a ati 9700 pro and a ti4600, in my opinion the ati blows nvidia out of the water, its not so much the speed of the card as it is the control you have in games and picture quality. The ati doesnt oveclock very high but you dont need to overclock it to see the difference. ALLEN

What is the best card on the market? or is it neck and neck with different companies...?

-yelizaveta

both are about equal. for the record you don't need 256MB of video ram and you won't need it for quite sometime. by the time you do need it DX10 will be coming out so don't make that a deciding factor.

as far as performance in gaming goes the FX5900 ultra and the R9800 are about the same. one's stronger in some tests while the other is stronger in others.

what i did was bought a 9800 non pro and flashed it to a pro BIOS. the card runs 400/360 (stock clock is 380/325). so for $270 you'll have a 9800 pro. this card uses the slower 3.3ns samsung memory too so don't worry much about what memory you get.

Molybdym said:

It says 'CoolFX' but it looks like it's on an ATI? Is this an aftermarket thing?

That's a Gainward 5900 Ultra. Red PCB doesn't automatically mean ATi ;)

I an going to get a 9800P soon. I chose ATI because, although benchmarks with the 5900 are too close to call, the Radeon just seems to be a better quality card. I mean how it is normal size and not extra long and take up an extra PCI slot. Also the price difference with the Radeon being cheaper.

Oh yeah, ATI is sexy too :D

The 5900 Ultra may be just a bit faster, but the 9800 Pro has better image quality, and is a little cheaper. So bang for the buck the 9800 pro is what I'd choose.

I think it's one of those, " Each card can do atleast one thing better than the other" in other words, there is no best overall, top of the mountain card in every test there is,,,

these are so close it doesn't matter and at the asking price wait a year and it will be 1/2 price,,,,

but if you must have one i say "flip the coin" like previosly mentioned :)

been using nvidia for years (at least since 3dfx went bust) but just recently purchased the ATI 9800 pro AIW and its pretty awesome..........allows for a lot of fine tuning that the nvidia didn't.............but i haven't seen a 5900 personally so i cant' diss nvidia totally - i can only tell you ATI has it together........

Back