• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best liquid cooler for Threadripper 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

resle

Hi,

I feel slightly out of place on "overclockers.com" as I don't intend to peform any overclocking..

I am, however, aiming for the lowest possible temp for my cpu, as it will be working in the neighborhood of 100% load almost 24/7, and I'd like to extend its lifespan as much as possible.
What liquid cooling solution would you suggest?

Thanks,
r.

Optimally, a custom liquid cooling set up would be my recommendation. If a liquid cooling all-in-one- prebuilt setup is what you want, the only one I can think of is made by Enermax. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...80&cm_re=Enermax_TR280-_-35-214-092-_-Product

What are you doing that will put a 100% load on the chip 24/7? Maybe an Epyc server CPU would be better suited to your needs.

Thanks. It's about 30 virtual machines, each running simulations. Well, I wish I could afford Epyc... a TR2 is the best I can afford - not to mention Epyc would restrict me to ECC memory, and that's another steep increase in price as I need to have 128gb.

Ahh, I see. One of our members, caddi daddi, has a couple rigs he uses for rendering that see 24/7 operation for days at a time and he went with a custom water loop.

Do you have the case already? You need to pick a cooler that will fit in the case. What case do you have?

Enermax with 280 rad will be about the same for these chips as the one with 360 rad. On the other hand, if you don't want to play with water then Noctua coolers are great. When I was checking them on 1920X then even the smallest one with 92mm fans could keep it below AMD "max operating" temp so ~68°C.
As trents mentioned, check if you have enough space in the case as the best coolers are quite large.

Noctua and Thermalright make good air coolers for TR4 if you don't want to go the liquid way. If you aren't going to oc, there is no point to going with liquid, at least imo..

So with the case you chose, a 360 AIO water cooler is not an option. 240 would be the best you could do. Last I looked into it, The best 240 AIO water coolers will generally give a tad better temps than the best air coolers, but only like 2-4c.

Back