• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best MB for my new server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hop5uk

Registered
Planning to build a new server. My current server is basically a normal PC with IBM Serveraid M1015 SAS/SATA Controller and lots of Hard disks. This time i am going to build a server with server parts! Any recommendations for a motherboard to start me off. It will be running headless on CL Ubuntu. Is it normal to use certain MBs for a server or are the desktop variety the norm? I am planning to use a 4U rack mounted server case with 20-24 Hotswap disks

It will just be a simple fileserver and i don't mind paying that bit extra if its a good solution. With regards to upgrade-ability, this is not really a concern as i will simply replace it in a few years time.

For my file/tor/i2p server I'm just using an old Intel Atom netbook and a cheap usb hard drive for automatic nightly backups :) Doesn't take hardly any processing power to serve files. I don't need the kind of storage space and disk read speed you seem to have though.

I've heard TYAN makes good motherboards. But, wouldn't a NAS be more appropriate if only serving files?

Last edited:
Are you going to be running ZFS with this setup? What are you going to run on this, specifically?

We can suggest an all around decent one, but if you are running something that requires specific features or more memory, then you will likely be looking at a different board/setup.

I hadn't planned on ZFS. My main reasoning for upgrading my server is that everything is 'stuffed ' into the case at the moment. I have been looking at one of these large 20-24 HDD rackmount case where i will have a lot of space. I will use my IBM M1015 controller card for the first 8 HDDs and buy another one to take my tally up to 16. I shall probably get some more 3 TB drives and retire the 2 and 1 and half TB drives which are getting a bit old now. I will then use SW Raid 5 in Ubuntu. The question is : Do i replace the other components whilst i am changing the case to something a bit more server based?
What will ZFS give me?

Back