• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Microsoft OS for an ocassional user

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonthunder

So been looking at windows and not sure which one to go with......I'm a OSX / Linux fan.

Reason for windows os is I will need it to run a few programs and always handy for testing components on my builds etc Also running a VM is a pain in the arse and uses up precious processing power and still doesn't always do what I want!!

Programs that will most likely be on it will be:

Word or open office - although these days its easier to use google docs.

Adobe CC suite

and anything that won't run on OSX that i may need.

So windows 8 or 10??

Would still use Win8.1, easier to setup, faster, more stable, more secure and you only need Classic Shell to make it look like Win7 again.

Why ? i have never had problems with Win8.1 but have them constantly with Win10, be it drivers or incompatibilities or simply shoddy programming on M$ side. I have to have specific programs or take time to edit the registry/system files to stop background updates/telemetry on Win10. Why would i want a OS that fills the web with horror stories every time it receives a major update :rofl: Not saying Win8.1 is perfect by any standard but it is by far the one that gave me less crashes/hassle over the years :)

8.1 has the same telemetry and update system as 10. You just hear less about it. ;)
W7 does too but it is more easily blockable.

8.1 has the same telemetry and update system as 10. You just hear less about it. ;)
W7 does too but it is more easily blockable.

It might be same same system but Win10 has FAR MORE telemetry then Win7/Win8.1. And Windows Update doesn't force himself on them like it does on Win10. You don't have to jump though hoops to retain some semblance of control over it if you get my meaning. I agree that Win7 is a great OS but Win8.1 is better in every way that i know of (from my own experience). Even for gaming Win8.1/Win10 seems to use multi-threading better then Win7 especially in AMD CPU's, the FX and Phenom II get a nice FPS boost when moving OS because of it's more advanced timing system.

But for mundane tasks like the OP is doing even Win98se/WinXP would do to be fair, i suggested Win8.1 simply because it's much easier/faster to install (no need to pre-program USB sticks with all your drivers) and TO ME AT LEAST far more stable :D

If you're gonna use 8.1 you might as well use W10.
I respectfully disagree with this statement in strongest possible terms.
The difference between using [Windows 8 + Classic Shell] and Windows 10 is the difference between being a bona fide Beta tester (in case of Windows 10) or not.

Second, mining of your personal information (Telemetry, etc.) issues are not just a little bigger under Windows 10, we're talking several orders of magnitude bigger.

Most importantly, modifications to Windows 8 are not reset like they are under Windows 10.
Windows 10 detects and resets your attempts to limit sharing of your personal information. Windows 8 lets you keep them.

As for Windows 7, since Classic Shell gives you better Start Menu / Start Button options than Windows 7, this takes away the biggest advantage Windows 7 has, namely Start Menu / Start Button.
Windows 8 is snappier when compared to Windows 7 and unless you have a very specific reason to go with Windows 7, which is rare, there is no question that [Windows 8 + Classic Shell] is the way to go until 2023.

W7 is fine here currently.

I can't afford to move to W8.1.

W10 is out of the question in too many ways to seriously contemplate.

W10... so long as you dont have the privacy concerns many have about it...

Outside of that, i cant think of one good reason (what has been listed above doesnt concern ME) to go backwards, particularly if you arent already used to 7/8, etc...if you dont like the interface, you can fix it with all the rest.

Caused quite a stir..... lol

Think I'll go for win 10. Not arsed abouy the privacy as far as im concerned privacy laws are a farse these days every ****** is spying on you lol

Only be using it a back up for programs that wont run on OSX

I wouldn't pick anything other than Win10 for modern PC. In not far future will start problems with updates for Win7/8 and some are already limited. There will be problems with drivers and other things ... and it's already starting.

Back