• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Mobo for Phenom 555BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beeboy18

Registered
Whats a good mobo for the AMD phenom ii x2 555BE . I plan on attempting to unlock the cores as well as overclock a bit. It's also my first build so user friendly is nice :)
Ps ~110$ price range

Lots of good choices. Are you starting from scratch or wanting to use ram from an existing system? If you are wanting to use existing DDR2 that will narrow it down a bit.

I'm buying new ram, havent decided which yet cause im waiting on some combo deals but most likely something like this:
Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model

If you want to unlock cores, you want something with the 785 or higher AMD chipset. Here's some recommendations within your price range, if you take into account rebates:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128443

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131627

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131627

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366 (This one has an older chipset but is very popular as you can see from the 500+ reviews)

Read the NewEgg customer reviews and get an idea of what are the strengths and weaknesses of each board, keeping in mind that some reviewers are idiots that don't know what they're talking about. Don't consider boards that only have a half a handful of reviews. Look at ones that have sufficient evaluations (20+) to give a good idea of what customers are experiencing. Look for patterns in the reviews. Stay away from ECS (they are poor overclockers) and MSI (they seem to have lots of problems these days).

You will also want to give consideration to getting a good aftermarket cooler if you will be unlocking cores and overclocking. The stock box coolers usually won't cut it with much over stock CPU speeds and voltages and extra cores unlocked.

Last edited:
I'm buying new ram, havent decided which yet cause im waiting on some combo deals but most likely something like this:
Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model

Normally, I would recommend getting higher speed ram (1600) but since your are buying a black edtion cpu and will be able to overclock with the CPU multiplier, fast ram is not that critical.

I always seem to forget to mention that I'm from Canada and cant use the .com version of newegg :/

How are these mobo's, think there quite similar to yours:

and as for coolers go hows something like this... i know its cheap and you get what you pay for but will it get the job done?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

The link about the motherboard doesn't work. Can you fix it so it's hypertexted like the cooler link is?

The cooler is not the best choice but would be an improvement over the stock box cpu. You really should look at going to a 120 mm fan-based tower cooler if there is room in your case for it. You would need a case at least 122 cm wide from outside of case to outside to accommodate it, however.

The cooler is not the best choice but would be an improvement over the stock box cpu. You really should look at going to a 120 mm fan-based tower cooler if there is room in your case for it. You would need a case at least 122 cm wide from outside of case to outside to accommodate it, however.
122 cm? - THAT can't be right. ;)

I think they'll fit inside most 8" (20 cm/200 mm) cases, won't they? The Sunbeam CCT 120mm fits inside my CoolerMaster Centurion cases ...

Last edited:
20 might be enough but the case side panel might be touching the heatpipe tips. The various 120 mm fan-based coolers do vary 1-3 mm in height from one another and that will have a bearing on clearance.

Yep - both those cases should have enough space for the 120mm coolers :) but any side-panel fan might get in the way, depending on where it's located.

Personally, I wouldn't try overclocking with any board missing the MOSFET coolers - that's just asking for trouble. However, you can buy MOSFET heatsinks and add them. Or you can provide some other type of active cooling like a small fan blowing straight onto them or a baffle for the rear fan to direct more air over them ...

I could just remove the side panel fan couldnt I? And how difficult is it to install one of these things?

And I just noticed your comment on the mobos, do motherboards come with that cooler or do you need to buy it like you said?

You can remove the side-panel fan if it's in the way - but some people complain. I don't think it's that big an issue myself. If the fan is in the way then it's not mounted in the right place anyway. ;)

Install one of what things? Those heatsinks? If they're bolt-on some are a pain, others are easy - it's hard to tell. The Sunbeam is a clip-in using the stock clip points.

If you're talking about the MOSFET coolers they're not hard if you get the right ones. As long as they're the correct size it shouldn't be a problem. Most have a sticky pad TIM, which makes it easy. Just clean well with alcohol, make sure it's dry, then stick them on and push ...

Seems simple enough right now, lol. Any mobo recommendations quiteice?

Considering what I just saw on Newegg I think they're having a Price Gouging contest right now! The boards I usually recommend have jumped from $120 this morning to $130 (or maybe it was $140) right now. :eek: The only recommendation I have for now is wait a couple of days on the board until the dust settles.

Edit:
And I just noticed your comment on the mobos, do motherboards come with that cooler or do you need to buy it like you said?
Oops! Missed this post earlier!

Yeah - most mid-range and up ATX boards have MOSFET coolers. A few mATX have them but it's rare ...

Last edited:
Back