• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best new racing game!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NFS:HP2 would have been SOOO. MUCH. BETTAR. if they would have ONLY used the same replay camera controls and angles from Porsche Unleashed. That angle in PU where you're looking at a section of track from a very short distance, and next thing you see is yourself drifting in / fishtailing around the corner in extreme closeup, damn that was beautiful.

Too bad I can't get my Porsche Unleashed to work on win2k, even with compatibility mode.

Anyway, every rally racing game I've ever played has just plain sucked, until I installed Rallisport Challenge. For me, it's usually the controls that make or break rally games (well, break them ALL), but in RSC they are not at all painful. Countersteering works properly, the cars are beautiful... The only thing I don't like is how just about all the tracks are earth-toney and washed out looking. Cars are insanely detailed and tracks are... not. Gameplay is good until you get to the really really friggin' hard races, though.

i used to play porche unleashed so much, but then my microsoft ff steering wheel broke :( but it definately lived for 2 yrs so i guess im happy..
i put pu on my xp system now and for some reason i crash sometimes.. anyone wanna give multiplayer of this a go? :)

max

best thing still worth mentioning about PU is the great car physics. it's the best one of the racing games I played.

InThrees, you can't play it under W2K due to your swap file size. try changing it to some different sizes until you get the game to run. that's a known problem about the game actually.
then try out my car!! I thought someone would try it out...... won't anyone let me know how good it is??

Whoa! I had no idea. I have 512mb of ram, so could I just disable the swap file, or set it to like, 128 or 256mb or so? I'm assuming the problem lies in large swap files, since my 2k install likes to have about 2gigs of pooled memory available.

NFS Unleashed dont work on my Win XP unless i wack it into compatibility mode....Then it skips like a mofo :( under 5fps...Any1 know of a XP patch plz :D

A reply to Grunjee's signiture... :)

Help keep the OC forums clean and respectable. Oppose trolling and intentional spreading of bad information! Newbies: {{{{{Ti500's do NOT own.}}}}}

My Ti 500 owns any Radeon 8500 :) 3d makr now @ 9877 and increasing (stock cooling on card). :D

gazzrawly, im sure an 8500 would do better than 9877 with an xp2100, infact im certain. Hell, im only 1000 point below you and im running on a celly-T 1.2ghz ('cept im using a moddified r9500 lol)

InThrees said:
Whoa! I had no idea. I have 512mb of ram, so could I just disable the swap file, or set it to like, 128 or 256mb or so? I'm assuming the problem lies in large swap files, since my 2k install likes to have about 2gigs of pooled memory available.

I wouldn't recommend you to disable it because some programs require a swap file to run ok.
the correct procedure about finding out a good swap file size is monitoring how much you really need but this can take some time, and will also take you some effort on setting up the monitor task. this one is a good guide to find out how much you really need of swap file.

but if you think thats too much work, I guess a permanent swap file of 256MB would be ok for ya. I'm sure this is more than you'll ever need but as long as you have enough free disk space it should be ok. make sure you set it to be a permanent file size.

btw gazzrawly, I beleive this issue also affects WXP, so you may also try setting your swap file to some different sizes and check if the game runs.

Actually, win2k's internal system monitor has a peak swap file usage, and mine is almost never very high.

I'm also not opposed to changing this on-the-fly and rebooting just for a good old session of PU.

Wh000t, wish I didn't have to go to work 5 minutes ago, hahahaha. =P

okay, I installed Porsche Unleashed, changed my swap to a 1:1 with my ram, and during the initial "Loading" PU crashed :( Anything else I can do? is 768 page swap too high?

wow I think it's way too high.
are you sure you really need that much?

you may try setting it to 256-256MB just to make sure the game will run or not then you could try it a little bigger if you think 256MB is not enough.

128-128 and 256-256 don't work :(

128 says not enough virtual memory, and 256 does exactly what 768 does :( I see the intro movie, I get the "Loading" screen, it sits there, crashes to desktop at 800x600 reso then goes back to my desktop settings

I set my swap file to 128-128 on my 512mb box, and I have yet to get any messages about not enough virtual memory.

Boot into as little swap usage as you can, right click on porsche.exe and drag-release-to-whitespace to create a shortcut.

right click on the shortcut and try enabling compatibility mode.

Are you using XP or 2k?

try it as 128-256MB if you just want to make sure the game runs or not. that's not a permanent swap file though.

Its not the swap file at all that you need to mess with in Porche Unleashed. To make it run in Win2K and XP you change the file name GIMME.dll to something else, usually I just change it to DONTGIMME.dll and it works just fine for me. Heck, that has worked for me and all of my friends for the past two years. Try it out and let me know how it works.

Last edited:
I can't suggest you any more things as I only know that there is this issue relating to the swap file under 2K and XP.
Did you notice if the OS re-sized the swap file before giving that message? It should take some time re-sizing it to 256MB at the loading screen before the message. You told that with a permanent 256MB file you get the same error as with 768MB, which probably means the OS hasn't re-sized the file this time (128-256MB).

I have, on several occasions, got PU working in W2K by setting the virtual memory to 200-250. I haven't tried WinXP yet... any suggestions?

e laursen said:
I have, on several occasions, got PU working in W2K by setting the virtual memory to 200-250. I haven't tried WinXP yet... any suggestions?
Guess that you didnt read what I wrote two posts before yours. "sigh":rolleyes:

Back