• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Nvidia Driver for GTX 970/Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Production seems low for my GTX 970...Or maybe I am expecting too much(250K?)...What should I expect from this GPU with the best driver on Windows 7?
Thanks

Trying out the 373.06....PPD is less than 40K.on on 353 driver

373.06 will not install...

Last edited:
In linux with driver 370.28, my expectation for overclocked 970 is about 330K ppd, but lately the current wu have been more like 360-400K ppd. FAHControl is estimating 388K ppd on the currently running project 11719.

Do not have any first hand knowledge on 970 in windows, but suspect 10% less for windows and maybe another 10% less for driver newer than 373.06. Recollection is that most of the earlier drivers had fairly similar folding performance as linux 370.28 and windows 373.06.

40K ppd sounds like something wrong.

Does the log show any issues? errors, bad state, restarts, bad work unit.

What does GPU-Z show?
In Linux, my 970SSC on project 11719 is currently running at 96-99% utilization, with settings +50 GPU=1417, -100 memory=6008, 70% fan = 72C. Windows utilization will likely be a little lower than linux, but I cant say how much.

373.06 running fine on my w10 notebook with 960m. Windows 10 home has caused much grief with updates and removing components needed for folding, even while in use. Last time, made clean install of 373.06 using driver file downloaded from nvidia (notebook-W10-64bit), rebooted, windows auto updated to newer driver, then I rolled back the driver in device manager and 373.06 has stayed working for past few months.

If your copy of the driver file not working, perhaps try download from another source. Think guru3d keeps copies of all the old drivers available for download.

Check to see if you are using the right driver, Win 7 64bit 373.06 900 series, I've tried to install Win 10 driver on Win 7 before and ooops wrong directory :) Also I have 3 PC's running Win 7 with 373.06.

Also you can use this to stop Win 10 from over writing video drivers (Orion posted this in another thread) I have not had Win 10 update at all after doing this. cut and paste in CMD window with admin privileges.

Kill updates:
Code:
cd /d "%Windir%\System32"
takeown /F MusNotification.exe
icacls MusNotification.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
takeown /F MusNotificationUx.exe
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
rem

Undo:
Code:
cd /d "%Windir%\System32"
icacls MusNotification.exe /remove:d Everyone
icacls MusNotification.exe /grant Everyone:F
icacls MusNotification.exe /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"
icacls MusNotification.exe /remove:g Everyone
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /remove:d Everyone
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /grant Everyone:F
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /remove:g Everyone
rem

Last edited:
This windows install has never been quite right when it was eligible for win 10, win 10 wouldn't install. So its time to do a clean install. This is the #2 rig in sig.
I do not think I need this machine to be a gaming rig anymore...I don't think GPU's folded under Linux when I built this thing.

Do we still have to use an older version of Linux or can I install the latest? i have a spare ssd I'll probably install on that...How many hours do i need to get GPU working is it any easier(On linux)? My time is sort of limited...

WhiteHawk Bingo...it was definitely the Windows 10 version, I only had a few minutes to try to get a new driver installed and its a pain anymore to get Nvidia to present you with old drivers.

I am going to need a lot more production to get into the red again....:comp:

Last edited:
Turns out it wasn't necessarily the driver...Much more serious issue... ME... I expanded the client enough to see the GPU and its was a GTX 560 :eek:(I do not remember why it was in there) I found the box with my GPU's, identified the GTX 970 and picked up the wrong GPU... 460's and 970's are about the same length. Installed a 460 and booted it up. After the driver installed opened client saw it was the wrong GPU and finally installed the correct one...:eek:

I do not know at what age you become to old and feeble minded to work on PC's....but my time has arrived:rain:

I'll have to wait a few frames to see what the PPD is (Win 7 installed the 353's again)...I want to see what they do before I switch to the newer ones.

EDIT: That rig is up to 260K now so we are making progress.:beer:

Still interested in knowing the best Linux build to use...Question answered
When I get back home next week, will try making fresh install using Ubuntu 18.04 and see what it takes to get FAH running on nvidia cards and what drivers can be used.

All my hosts are running Ubuntu 16.04.1 with nvidia cards. The 1080Ti using newest driver installed from the driver ppa. The other cards are using 370.28 installed from the .run file downloaded from nvidia. The old driver 370.28 has been more productive on all the supported cards than the newer drivers, but was removed from the ppa about a year ago due to issues with versions of Ubuntu newer than 16.04.1, requiring installation using the .run file from nvidia.

Last edited:
Still interested in knowing the best Linux build to use...Question answered

Was able to get Ubuntu 18.04.1 desktop version folding with nvidia 396.54 from the driver ppa. After running for about a week, folding performance on 1080Ti appears about the same as on Ubuntu 16.04.1.

Was not able to get nvidia 370.28 to install on 1804.1. (370.28 is no longer available in the driver PPA and has to be installed using .run file from nvidia). Thinking the issue is related to the newer kernel, but could be some other packages. My Linux is not good enough to resolve the issues.

With Ubuntu 16.04.1 desktop, either driver can be installed, but the .run file is a bit more complicated to work with.

Will be glad to help if you want to give either version Ubuntu a try. Takes me about 35-45 minutes to make a fresh Ubuntu install, apply updates, and get folding running on a small SSD. That is with a little practice and existing copies of the installation media, applications, configuration and some crude notes.

Was able to get Ubuntu 18.04.1 desktop version folding with nvidia 396.54 from the driver ppa. After running for about a week, folding performance on 1080Ti appears about the same as on Ubuntu 16.04.1.

Was not able to get nvidia 370.28 to install on 1804.1. (370.28 is no longer available in the driver PPA and has to be installed using .run file from nvidia). Thinking the issue is related to the newer kernel, but could be some other packages. My Linux is not good enough to resolve the issues.

With Ubuntu 16.04.1 desktop, either driver can be installed, but the .run file is a bit more complicated to work with.

Will be glad to help if you want to give either version Ubuntu a try. Takes me about 35-45 minutes to make a fresh Ubuntu install, apply updates, and get folding running on a small SSD. That is with a little practice and existing copies of the installation media, applications, configuration and some crude notes.
That 18.04 sounds good, Its good to see the newest version working. I'll give it a try and see if I can get a boost on the GTX970. I might than move the 1080Ti to it.

Hays have you documented it all for the sticky? I can write something as well from a probationary novice perspective...

That 18.04 sounds good, Its good to see the newest version working. I'll give it a try and see if I can get a boost on the GTX970. I might than move the 1080Ti to it.

Hays have you documented it all for the sticky? I can write something as well from a probationary novice perspective...

Why don't we continue in this thread for now.

Will clean up my notes and see how you do installing Ubuntu 18.04.1 desktop with ppa driver 396.54, folding and boinc.

My install notes for Folding with 18.04.1 Desktop using nvidia driver from PPA. Some extra stuff included. May not be best setup for everyone, but works good for me. Good luck.

Code:
# Linux 18.04.1 Desktop Install with PPA and Folding, updated 09-26-2018

# Ubuntu install from Live CD or USB drive
# Make fresh install ubuntu 1804.1
# select minimal install
# unselect download and apply updates during installation
# enable autologin

# Ubuntu defaults to downloading updates, but prompts for installation.
# The auto update feature will be disabled to avoid issues while folding
# Do NOT apply the updates when prompted at startup.
# Updates will be applied manually after the nvida driver is installed.

# boot into Ubuntu desktop
# remove extra items from favorites launcher (menu bar on left side of screen)
# add terminal, settings, software updater and software & updates to favorites (menu lower left corner)
# edit settings for display timeout and disable screen lock
# settings-power 10 min, 
# settings-Privacy screenlock off

# modify Nautilus Preferences - Behavior to restore the right-click create link
# open Nautilus file mgr, select File in menu top left corner - Preferences, Behaviour tab, check box for "show action to create symbolic link"

# copy Folding folder to home (notes, folding client, FAHControl and config.xml files) 
# make shortcut for linux notes file and drag to desktop

# share Folding folder, enable guest access
# samba installation includes python version required for FAHControl
# edit /etc/samba/smb.conf to enable 18.04 to access to network shares on older hosts 
# under workgroup line, add line "client max protocol=NT1" 
sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

# use gedit to make grub visible and reduce timeout
# unhide grub boot menu by adding # at start of line GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
# adjust the 10s default for the grub menu in line GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
# the default progam can be adjusted in line GRUB_DEFAULT=0
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
sudo update-grub

# install nvidia driver PPA
# sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
# update the software list
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

# use software & updates - additional drivers to install newest nvidia driver, currently 396.54
# reboot (menu, top right corner)

# add nvidia settings to launcher sidebar
# view gpu info in terminal
nvidia-smi

# install opencl index detection
sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev --fix-missing

# create xorg with coolbits for all gpus
# reboot after creating xorg
sudo nvidia-xconfig -a --enable-all-gpus --cool-bits=28
reboot

# Boinc installation
# install boinc and boinc manager
# add boinc manager to sidebar
# change view to advanced
# attach projects to boinc manager using project URL
# overclockers has teams for Rosetta, Seti and World Community Grid
# Rosetta URL:  http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta
# World Community Grid URL:  www.worldcommunitygrid.org
sudo apt-get install boinc-client boinc-manager --fix-missing

# install sensors
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors --fix-missing

# optional - detect the motherboard and device sensors
# sudo sensors-detect
# reboot

# run software updater
# reboot

# run terminal update, upgrades, autoremove and clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade --fix-missing
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean
# reboot

# run the software updater again and the terminal updates to comfirm all up to date.
# set software updates: check "never", "download", "every two weeks", "never"

# use sudo nautilus to change property of usr/bin/update-notifier to not executeable
# sudo nautilus

# use sudo nautilus to copy folding files to system folders
# copy fah config file to computer etc/fahclient
# copy gpu.txt to computer var/lib/fahclient
# sudo nautilus

# FAH installation
# confirm config.xml file in etc/fahclient to ensure client starts paused
# confirm gpu.txt in var/lib/fahclient to ensure gpus detected
# install the FAHControl and FAHClient deb files
# install python deb file for FAHControl to work if samba not installed
# enable autostart for fahclient
# add FAHControl to launcher sidebar