• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Pump Speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depends upon the loop itself. Without more info on the rad and block(s) being used it is hard to say. The D5 is a good pump but far from over powered, an Apogee XT(rev1) can bring a D5 set at 4 down to the 1/2 gal per minute range with a relatively free flowing rad.

That helps. A D5 at setting 3 can only handle ~2psi at 1gpm. A very quick search didn't yield much info on the restriction of the the 380 but it appears to be a tad better than the 370 which is ~1psi@1gpm.

Assuming a relatively normal loop you should be over the 1gpm mark. Setting 4 should yield between 1.5 and 2gpm.

So long as you are at 1-1.5GPM, you will be fine. Less than that you lose performance, more is diminishing returns.

I have a MCR320 and an old PA120.2 with only CPU and mine is set on 3. Temps have always been in order, even with GPU block on it.

cowboy when I'm pushing to find a stable OC or benching I just crank my pump up to 100% when I'm running for normal usage I usually put it to 50% which keeps my temps in the 40's for my normal usage, such as gaming or for work related tasks. I have mine on a fan controller so it does make it a bit easier to change speeds though.

At 5 I still dont hear it at all even with all fans off
I dont think from 3 to 5 makes that much difference in temps

3 for the loop you have now. 4 when you add the new stuff to it.

What would be the best pump speed for a D5 vari?
Right now I have it set to 3

Temps good under load? Can't say much unless you give data. Your question assumes we know your loop by heart like you do, no we don't.:eh?:

If temps are good under proper load tests, you have run P95 AND Heaven at the same time looping for 30 min and checking temps while stress tests are happening, which I'm sure you have done, then all is good?:popcorn:

It won't. Like I said you want 1.5gpm of flow. Above.that is seriously diminishing returns..

This. Determining the flow rate without a flow meter can be difficult though. I'll stress test, let the system settle in (water reaches equilibrium temp), then futz with the pump speed. If more pump speed drops temps, I know it was set too low. It's trial and error and it takes a bit of experimentation, but it does work.

Temps good under load? Can't say much unless you give data. Your question assumes we know your loop by heart like you do, no we don't.:eh?:

If temps are good under proper load tests, you have run P95 AND Heaven at the same time looping for 30 min and checking temps while stress tests are happening, which I'm sure you have done, then all is good?:popcorn:

No need for heaven to run cause cpu is only on this loop
Temps are real good 4.8Ghz 1.50 Vcore and package temps are 35* and socket temps 45* running prime for 2 hrs fans on rad I have set to only max speed of 70% if temps get over 50* on cpu

Back