• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best route to go these days, monitor or TV?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

Ok so after having a few years of mainly using a laptop for my computing and light PC gaming I am having a desktop renaissance. I stopped using my HTPC for it's use and have started using it as a desktop.

Anyway I haven't bought a monitor since 2004 so it's been awhile. Right now I'm using a 17" 4:3 D-sub only monitor. My question is does it make more sense to buy a LED TV rather than a monitor?That way you can always use it for other things and hook up a console if need be. I'm looking at probably 22" or 24"

Most time when people want to use a tv is because you want to play game on big screen, i currently run 2 40" tv for my gaming pc because i don't like gaming on 2 small 27" monitor.
But if you only want a 22 to 24" tv than i suggest you go with monitor you will find a lot of good quality 1920 x 1080 monitor for around $250
I have find this monitor to be very good, buy this for my wife to use in her office last year
HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor

7155ANrraZL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/HP-2711x-27-I...TF8&qid=1366302106&sr=8-5&keywords=27+monitor

the only thing i dont like about gaming on tv's is the input lag. its very noticeable to anyone who plays fps's or anything that needs fast response times.

You don't need to buy a TV monitor, so to say. If you get an LED monitor it will come with multiple inputs for different sources. For example, DVI for your computer and an HDMI for your console.

Ok thanks for the input....it also seems that smaller size TV's won't have the quality needed to double as a monitor. You need to go at least 30" to get any real performance TV it seems.

Here's a suggestion that's more than a little off the wall, but something I am seriously considering.

Seiki makes a 50" 4k2k 120Hz TV for $1299. It includes a HDMI 1.4a cable and the AMD cards support 4k2k resolution.

However, there is a LOT of confision over whether a single card can run this TV at 60Hz as a monitor or whether it is limited to 30Hz.

What I do know is that eyefinity can be used to drive that TV at 60Hz

I already bought a second 7970 so I am seriously considering dropping another $1300 to get the TV.

At worst, I don't like it and have 7970s to drive my U3011, and a 50" 4k2k TV

At best, I have a really nice monitor with hella rez...

Still though...seiki...for all I know it'll work for 31 days and then explode.

Here's a suggestion that's more than a little off the wall, but something I am seriously considering.

Seiki makes a 50" 4k2k 120Hz TV for $1299. It includes a HDMI 1.4a cable and the AMD cards support 4k2k resolution.

However, there is a LOT of confision over whether a single card can run this TV at 60Hz as a monitor or whether it is limited to 30Hz.

What I do know is that eyefinity can be used to drive that TV at 60Hz

I already bought a second 7970 so I am seriously considering dropping another $1300 to get the TV.

At worst, I don't like it and have 7970s to drive my U3011, and a 50" 4k2k TV

At best, I have a really nice monitor with hella rez...

Still though...seiki...for all I know it'll work for 31 days and then explode.

The op only want a 22 to 24" tv or monitor and if i were to spend $1300+tax on a tv, i would go with Samsung or Sony, not some no name brand tv, i haven't heard of Seiki before

Back