• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best thermal compound on the market

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have been using MX Diamond because of reading positive reviews of it (bought 2 tubes 6months+ ago, haven't had much use for it yet.)

I remember testing it against some Intel OEM paste, it was obviously better in terms of temp. under max load but a few degrees. I have to agree that most thermal pastes work plenty.

I've tried Arctic Silver 5, Ceramique 2, Arctic Cooling MX-2, and OCZ Freeze.

I definitely like MX-2 the best. It spreads easily, cleans up without too much effort, has better temps than AS5, and you can get big and gigantic tubes of it for relatively low prices. I picked up a 65 gram tube of it for $30 USD, and a 30g tube for $20 USD, the 65g tube lasted about two years, and I've had the 30g tube for over a year now and am just now getting low.

Hate Ceramique 2, when I got it the stuff was already dried up in the tube. I bought the Ceramique 2 and MX-2 at the same time, MX-2 still spreads easily, can't get the Ceramique out of the tube hardly at all now though.

AS5 is really messy to clean up, and the electrical conductivity/capacitance is too much of a worry for me since I've seen it kill boards and CPU's from spillage. There are better pastes out there nowadays anyway. This stuff was developed in what 2004/2005?

Didn't like the OCZ Freeze, it dried up in the tube with the cap on really quickly.

Last edited:
Diamond tends to be quite tough like that when you try to squeeze it out the tube, especially IC diamond was really difficult to squeeze out the tube but you have to be quick, use the dot method and push the heatsink down on it quick without moving it and bolt it down, and if it dries up before you push the heatsink down you should probably start again lol. I think the antec 7 surpassed it simply because it was a more spreadable solution and maybe due to the 'nano' technology who knows.

Ic diamond won't dry out if you don't do it fast...in fact, I can't think of a paste where you have to apply 'quickly' either...

I mean, I wouldn't leave it out for days, but minutes are surely not an issue by any stretch.

Last edited:
Besides Indigo Xtreme , there is also Coolaboratory Pro/Ultra and they even have pads for GPUs. IX & CL Ultra are the best performing "special" TIMs out there.

That being said... waaaay tooo much value is being attributed to TIMs.
You can spend a small fortune on the quest of that 1°C "better" TIM, but it is all useless if you cannot mount your HS or block correctly... or if the "bow" conflicts.

You will get a LOT better results with lapping both CPU & HS/Block to an almost perfect mating finish compared to any TIM out there.

Also IvyBridge & Haswell will run hot, courtesy of Intel wanting to save a few cents by not soldering the IHS to the chip.

Back