• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best way to network this setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trip0d

ok this is more of an orgazational thing than anything else.

in my dorm room i have 2 ethernet jacks(1 for me and 1 for roommate). i have no roommate so i have both jacks to use to my advantage. i have NO crossover cables at will.

i have a laptop, a server desktop(file server, ftp,mail,web), and an xbox and 1 router

the xbox cannot plug directly into the ethernet jack.(anything pluged into the jack must be registered to the schools network via mac addy and login)

so the xbox must be connected to the router in order to transfer files..used as my media center.

would it be possible to have 1 jack connected to the server(the server has 2 netowrk cards) and the toher network card going out to the router..and the router has the xbox on it?

should i put the lappy on the router too or just go for main jack( i was thinking main jack)

not sure why i was asking this..but i needed more opinions :D

Why don't you want the server behind nat? You serving stuff to people outside your lan?

You could have both nics on the server plugged in, just don't screw up your ip addressing like some people do.

XWRed1 said:
Why don't you want the server behind nat? You serving stuff to people outside your lan?

You could have both nics on the server plugged in, just don't screw up your ip addressing like some people do.

He/she is in a DORM, on the 'campus net', not his/her lan and most, if not all campus nets prohibit said services as he/she is attempting run. (EULA - upon signing on to campus net) Many here could tell him/her how do do it, but IOHO, is not the appropriate thing to do, as he/she is on 'their' network, and 'they' own and say what goes and what doesn't.

Not all schools prohibit it. That's why I'm asking if that's what he's doing. Its unclear the way he said it.

XWRed1 said:
Not all schools prohibit it. That's why I'm asking if that's what he's doing. Its unclear the way he said it.

I agree that it was a bit unclear. If 'not all schools prohibit it' then their IT staff are a bunch of doofs, to allow ftp, web, and smtp externally acessable. Huge liablility if a internal (campus geek not knowing what they were doing, not patched etc) server were comprimised.

XWRed1 said:

I agree that it was a bit unclear. If 'not all schools prohibit it' then their IT staff are a bunch of doofs, to allow ftp, web, and smtp externally acessable. Huge liablility if a internal (campus geek not knowing what they were doing, not patched etc) server were comprimised.

Back