• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to wire this for computer and home theater?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

Im thinking about buying the Logitech Z906 speakers. I would like to connect them to my computer and my TV. What would be the best way to wire them to produce the best sound?

My TV:
Vizio D650i-B2
CONNECTIONS:
HDMI input, LAN, USB 2.0, audio line-out, composite video / component video / audio input, digital audio output (optical)
19 pin HDMI Type A, 4 pin USB Type A, RCA x 2, RCA x 5, RJ-45, TOSLINK

My Motherboard:
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming PRO Carbon
7.1-Channel High Definition Audio
Supports S/PDIF output
CONNECTIONS:
1 x HDMI,1 x Optical, 5 RCA Ports
Ive put a screen of the connectors in the back of the motherboard in case I missed something.
ports.jpg

Get something that supports HDMI input, since HDMI supports uncompressed surround.

S/PDIF supports compressed surround and analog surround is also supported with that motherboard, both inferior choices to HDMI. USB can handle uncompressed surround, but not very many USB audio devices support that mode.

Note that you can run HDMI separate from whatever you're using to run the monitor in case you're concerned about the receiver adding lag. (Not all do and ironically, the *cheaper* ones are less likely to do so.) You can also use a HDMI splitter if you're short on HDMI ports. Using HDMI ARC on the TV is another possibility, but some TVs have problems passing through surround.

S/PDIF supports compressed surround and analog surround is also supported with that motherboard, both inferior choices to HDMI. USB can handle uncompressed surround, but not very many USB audio devices support that mode.

Note that you can run HDMI separate from whatever you're using to run the monitor in case you're concerned about the receiver adding lag. (Not all do and ironically, the *cheaper* ones are less likely to do so.) You can also use a HDMI splitter if you're short on HDMI ports. Using HDMI ARC on the TV is another possibility, but some TVs have problems passing through surround.

Full disclosure, I'm not really interested or knowledgeable about surround sound. That said I'm not really sure that the OP is going to hear the difference between HDMI and S/PDIF or analog on the system he is buying. Furthermore I'm not sure he is going to hear it on any other system or combination of receiver and monitors/speakers for $250. Does your experience differ from the assumption?

I only ask because, "Get something that supports HDMI input" sounds and awful lot like "get something substantially more expensive." Even Pyle receivers (which may be actually lower quality than what the OP is purchasing) cost around $100, and then there would be purchasing 8 speakers for $150. There is a chance at getting something nice used in that price range, but really 7.1ch receivers that don't suck seem to start at $200. Of course we can talk sound bars for $250, but I assume the OP would have shopped for a sound bar if that was the desired product.

If I'm going down the wrong track here, then please let me know and suggest a different product for the OP. This is also a good time to ask, HeatM1ser2k4 is your budget flexible from the components you've selected and are you willing to consider different components?

If you're set with the ones you linked, I do agree with NiHaoMike that you shouldn't expect anything earth shattering from those speakers. However for the price they don't seem like a bad deal.

Do you plan to listen to them without the TV on (music from computer)? Do you plan to play media through the TV without the speaker set on, using the TV speakers (not ideal, but I imagine some people do this for times when the extra noise of a sub is not desired). Do you want to use the TV as a source as well (listen to things not being played on the computer?) I would suggest choosing a configuration based on your usage and then go from there. To me the best configuration seems like connecting the PC directly to the speakers and the TV separately, and also connecting the TV directly to the speakers. Yes the HDMI cable carries the signal to the TV, but I'm not sure if there would be problems passing it back to the speakers as a digital signal, so you could try that but I think direct would be preferred.

Use the digital from the TV to the speakers. Use either the digital or analog from the PC to the speakers, see which sounds better. I imagine the DAC chip (that converts digital to analog sound) is similar quality in both parts, but onboard motherboard audio can be surprising, so done rule out analog just because onboard audio used to suck.

Just my $0.02

There might be deals on receivers that don't support 4K, especially used from those who are unaware of the existence of downscaling splitters. A sound bar with a subwoofer and surround speakers is another choice.

If the PC supports the front channels on S/PDIF and the rest on analog, a cheap way would be to get a used amplifier or receiver with S/PDIF input and use that for the front channels. Then get some cheap amplifier modules for the remainder.

Full disclosure, I'm not really interested or knowledgeable about surround sound. That said I'm not really sure that the OP is going to hear the difference between HDMI and S/PDIF or analog on the system he is buying. Furthermore I'm not sure he is going to hear it on any other system or combination of receiver and monitors/speakers for $250. Does your experience differ from the assumption?

I only ask because, "Get something that supports HDMI input" sounds and awful lot like "get something substantially more expensive." Even Pyle receivers (which may be actually lower quality than what the OP is purchasing) cost around $100, and then there would be purchasing 8 speakers for $150. There is a chance at getting something nice used in that price range, but really 7.1ch receivers that don't suck seem to start at $200. Of course we can talk sound bars for $250, but I assume the OP would have shopped for a sound bar if that was the desired product.

If I'm going down the wrong track here, then please let me know and suggest a different product for the OP. This is also a good time to ask, HeatM1ser2k4 is your budget flexible from the components you've selected and are you willing to consider different components?

If you're set with the ones you linked, I do agree with NiHaoMike that you shouldn't expect anything earth shattering from those speakers. However for the price they don't seem like a bad deal.

Do you plan to listen to them without the TV on (music from computer)? Do you plan to play media through the TV without the speaker set on, using the TV speakers (not ideal, but I imagine some people do this for times when the extra noise of a sub is not desired). Do you want to use the TV as a source as well (listen to things not being played on the computer?) I would suggest choosing a configuration based on your usage and then go from there. To me the best configuration seems like connecting the PC directly to the speakers and the TV separately, and also connecting the TV directly to the speakers. Yes the HDMI cable carries the signal to the TV, but I'm not sure if there would be problems passing it back to the speakers as a digital signal, so you could try that but I think direct would be preferred.

Use the digital from the TV to the speakers. Use either the digital or analog from the PC to the speakers, see which sounds better. I imagine the DAC chip (that converts digital to analog sound) is similar quality in both parts, but onboard motherboard audio can be surprising, so done rule out analog just because onboard audio used to suck.

Just my $0.02
Youre right, I dont want to have to spend an additional $100 to make this work. I plan on using them to watch TV and listen to music on my PC as well as play games.I dont plan on using the TV speakers and these will substitute. Im most interested in how to get surround sound from both the TV and computer while using these. My budget isnt flexible, but these seemed like the best available option for using with both the TV and PC. My mobo has 1 HDMI input, but I need that for my monitor. I'll have to look into HDMI splitters. I think I might actually have one already from my last home theater system.

Last edited:
The GPU will have its own HDMI output, including audio output. It's possible to use the GPU HDMI for video and motherboard HDMI for audio, but gives few benefits over using the GPU for audio and video.

So, can it be done with what I already have? Wiring both the computer and TV for surround sound , Or do I have to buy more to make that happen?

If you have an audio device with HDMI input, simply plug it into one of the GPU HDMI ports. The monitor can either plug into the audio device (may cause lag, but hopefully not) or into another GPU HDMI port. Or both plug into a splitter and then the splitter plugs into the PC.

If the monitor is a smart TV, audio from it might already work if there's a HDMI connection between it and the audio device and both support HDMI ARC. Otherwise, connect the S/PDIF output using a fiber cable.

The Logitech Z906 speakers seem to have two optical connectors, that would be the simplest. How are you using the TV, is it connected to a cable box or an antenna? Your cable box probably has an optical connector as well.

If you have an audio device with HDMI input, simply plug it into one of the GPU HDMI ports. The monitor can either plug into the audio device (may cause lag, but hopefully not) or into another GPU HDMI port. Or both plug into a splitter and then the splitter plugs into the PC.

If the monitor is a smart TV, audio from it might already work if there's a HDMI connection between it and the audio device and both support HDMI ARC. Otherwise, connect the S/PDIF output using a fiber cable.

I thought an optical cable only gave to stero and not surround sound...at least thats what I was told. So wil it give surround sound? This entire thread is useless if an optical cable can produce surround sound...

The Logitech Z906 speakers seem to have two optical connectors, that would be the simplest. How are you using the TV, is it connected to a cable box or an antenna? Your cable box probably has an optical connector as well.
I just have an antenna connected to the coax input

Copied from google:
An optical digital audio connection is used to send digital audio signals between devices. It supports stereo audio and Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 multichannel audio for people with surround sound systems.

As NiHaoMike mentioned, it'll do surround, but only compressed. HDMI will do uncompressed surround, so it depends on how much that matters to you.

Really the first question is will it be discernible on the speakers that the OP is purchasing. Second question is if the difference is discernible, does that matter to them.

Too simple. Mobo's got 3 outs: Line out, center/sub, and rear. Those three go to the z906 sub's green ,orange, & black respectively. The speakers will handle any input then from the pc, be it dvd, bluray, whatever. The Vizio gets the 2 rca's on the sub. Therefore the speakers again will handle it. If it has hd audio or whatever coming from the source broadcast.
I'm not too familiar with those 3 plugs exactly, I'm assuming they are the same as the ones on the pc (6ch direct input). Looks like a nice setup once you get all the wiring down.
And then of course hdmi to the tv with the speakers off.
I don't have the center/sub/rear on my mobo so I use plastic optical (spdif).
The only reason hdmi even exists is for content protection. But it is also capable of doing dolby/dts-hd (any newer formats) which spdif can not do.

Last edited:
Too simple. Mobo's got 3 outs: Line out, center/sub, and rear. Those three go to the z906 sub's green ,orange, & black respectively. The speakers will handle any input then from the pc, be it dvd, bluray, whatever. The Vizio gets the 2 rca's on the sub. Therefore the speakers again will handle it. If it has hd audio or whatever coming from the source broadcast.
I'm not too familiar with those 3 plugs exactly, I'm assuming they are the same as the ones on the pc (6ch direct input). Looks like a nice setup once you get all the wiring down.
And then of course hdmi to the tv with the speakers off.
I don't have the center/sub/rear on my mobo so I use plastic optical (spdif).
The only reason hdmi even exists is for content protection. But it is also capable of doing dolby/dts-hd (any newer formats) which spdif can not do.
Thank you so much! That's very helpful info!

They accept digital coax. It's the yellow one next to the 2 spdif's.
1000 watts for pretty cheap with a 2yr wrnty. Saw a review that said 'too bad it doesn't accept hdmi'. That's what the tv is for.

When listening to music you want the specific output that the source music track has. The speakers give you a full room sound while the mobo separates the channels and frequencies accordingly (more speakers do sound better). But, music tracks are mostly just L/R. No need for an hdmi cable, dts decoding, etc.. You could just as easily use the spdif (compressed) from the pc for music, but why not let the audio from the pc simply be transferred to the speakers and let them do all the work? Dolby digital is like pushing a button to where you can enable or not that feature. It sounds incredible too. If the z906 actually has that that is. 30 yrs ago that was very expensive, like a grand.
The movie-wise audio tracks that have center, rear, dts, (video too) etc., are then properly handled by the hdmi cable alone. The rca's then push that audio, uncompressed, back to the speakers, which then by there very placement, and the way in which they can 'decode' the signals so that you get the full effect.
I'd definitely make sure you get some really good speaker wire. Twisted pair stuff. Can't hurt.

Back