• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this amd cpu computer good for games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leni3107

i want to know if this PC is worth the 999euro and will it run witcher 3, ac unity,gta v, on high. tell me any problems with this pc.any help is appreciated.

Processor manufacturer AMD
HDD capacity 1TB
8GB RAM Memory
DVD-RW unit
SSD 120GB
Case Aerocool Xpredator X1 Midi-Tower - black / red
Dimensions 190 x 482 x 475 mm
MSI Motherboard 970 / SB950 / AM3 + ATX / 970A-G46
Power supply Fortron HYPER 700W 12cm, Active, 8 * SATA, PCIe-2 * 6 + 2, 2 * 4 + 4pin, 2 * 4 pin Molex 85+ Black
Processor AMD FX-8370, 8 cores, socket AM3 +, 64bit, 4.0GHz (4.3Ghz Turbo), 8MB cache
RAM type Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866MHz Fury Blue, 2X4GB KIT (8GB) Dual Channel
Hard Drive 1TB SATAIII 64MB 7200RPM Western Digital Blue
Transcend SSD 128GB, 2.5 "SSD370, SATA3, MLC, 560MB / 460MB / s
Video card MSI GeForce GTX 970 Twin Frozr GAMING 4GB V
Sound Card 7.1
Gigabit NIC
Output / input ports 6xUSB 2.0 4xUSB 3.0, 1 x RJ-45, 1 x PS / 2 Optical audio out, 1xDVI, 1xHDMI, 3xDisplayPort, microphone and headphone output

Your biggest consideration needs to be the resolution you're gaming at. At 1080p, that PC should be able to keep up nicely. I wouldn't feel comfortable overclocking the CPU much (if at all) on that motherboard. But it can probably run that CPU at stock fine.

Are you buying this as a pre-built PC? You might be able to save some money (and learn more) by building it yourself. If you are building it yourself, you should let us know a couple stores that you can buy from online, and let us piece something together for you.

Hi there leni3107, in my experience any AMD FX6300 and over should run just fine Witcher 3. I run The FX8350 and seems not to have any issue running any high demanding games. I have it pair with a 290X GPU which the GTX 970 should handle just fine. As far as the price go I am not experience with euro currencies. Sorry.

Also my best friend who is a gamer runs the AMD FX8350 pair with a MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr GAMING 4GB GPU and he has not complain about any game what so ever. we both run 1080p setups though, so I believe you will be fine running the FX-8370. Good luck!

Two problems I see are the MSI motherboard and no mention of a CPU Cooler which are probably the most important parts of an AMD FX system along with the power supply which the Fortron HYPER 700W could be questionable as to quality. Not easy to find any "good" review on it.

Agreed, the few reviews i picked up on the PSU are all more or less this "The Hyper 700 is a budget PSU. It's currently priced at 60EUR, being one of the few PSUs of this calibre available a this price. Sure, the build-quality is average at best, but considering its efficiency, it's more than worth the asking price".

The motherboard is in my opinion, of dodgy quality BUT like the PSU, It SHOULD hold you up for now until you have the budget for something better as long as you don't try overclocking :)

Two things here Kenrou the OP is using an 8370 CPU this board is 4 phase on top of that it's MSI. This is just a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Check this thread, it's a response from MSI about putting an 8 core FX in one of these boards. MSI is notorious for blowing up.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/330572-30-970a-warning

I agree with Johan that motherboard should not be in the same sentence with an FX8XXx cpu. Not sure if it could handle it at stock clocks let alone OC at all, mind you there is no mention of a CPU cooler so I would have to assume it is using a stock cooler.

I agree that either a 6300/6350 CPU or a 990FX motherboard is the way to go. But this combination is definitely less than ideal.

"a recipe for disaster". this is so very true of the motherboard/cpu combo.
I don't think 999 euro is to fer off base, part by part, but as a whole i don't think it will live 6 months of hard gaming, hence, thumbs down from me.

The motherboard is in my opinion, of dodgy quality BUT like the PSU, It SHOULD hold you up for now until you have the budget for something better as long as you don't try overclocking :)

I think this sentence sums up everything that the OP should know, it is well thought out and has all the advice i know you would give to him short of "don't buy it", as i am assuming it is a pre-built comp from a store (by the price), if anything goes wrong he can just return it and get a new one, correct ?

The motherboard is in my opinion, of dodgy quality BUT like the PSU, It SHOULD hold you up for now until it blows and takes the CPU with it :)

Fixed that for you, if that was a decent ASUS bord I would agree but personally I wouldn't run that CPU in that board period. Too risky IMO especially given MSI's reputation for blow outs

I didn't even look into that just answer the question about the game but yes I agree I won't run an FX on nothing less than a 8+2 phase board. I would say that, so far for the money the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is one hard to beat other than going even higher on the top end ASUS board. I would make sure to have a very good power supply since when overclocking these chips sometimes like a lot of power. On top of that I won't run anything less than a Noctua for Overclocking on air or a closed loop cooler with a fairly big rad. Most people would say at that point go water kit cooling but I myself like to stay on air for now. If you plan not to overclock the Hyper 212 is a good cooler choose for the money. Other than that pretty much you should be all covered.

Last edited:
So again, is that from a store or not ? because that changes everything IMO, and the fact that everything is decent except the MB and PSU, would tip the edge into YES BUT change those components ASAP ? again its all in my sentence without the redaction.

- - - Updated - - -

Took the liberty of building a new Pc for you, I like this build better and it's only 800 euro. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/yBdXwP

PS : Switch that Windows 10 for a 7 pro and its a good deal.

PPS : Comment a bit below says that apparently is ok to use a 8320 because of the speed/heat difference, he can just downclock this one ?

Exactly, if I were spendin $1500 on a new PC I definitely wouldn't cheap out on the PSU and motherboard. Those two parts can take that shiny new PC experience and ruin it in a hurry. Even if it ran and didn't blow up you'd be getting throttling, shut downs and be spending a lot of unnecessary time chasing your tail trying to get it to run right. If it's a matter of budget drop to a GTX960 and spend the extra where it is needed on the core of the system.

Or a GTX 950, heard they are very decently rated atm at 1080p. Which reminds me, monitor ?

Two problems I see are the MSI motherboard and no mention of a CPU Cooler which are probably the most important parts of an AMD FX system along with the power supply which the Fortron HYPER 700W could be questionable as to quality. Not easy to find any "good" review on it.

Two things here Kenrou the OP is using an 8370 CPU this board is 4 phase on top of that it's MSI. This is just a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Check this thread, it's a response from MSI about putting an 8 core FX in one of these boards. MSI is notorious for blowing up.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/330572-30-970a-warning

Agreed completely.

A 4+1 power phase design is not good. Definitely not good enough for an FX-8370, or a 6350 or 6300 for that matter. It's just some low-cost low-end motherboard, that just isn't robust enough to support that CPU. And with it being an MSI board it's probably junk, based upon their quality issues as of late.

Power supply is also questionable, as I recall Fortron/FSP units not usually being very good. Barely acceptable in a lot of reviews I've read for other products they've made. Couldn't find hardly any reviews of that particular model, which worries me a bit. No mention of it at JonnyGuru's site, or any other reputable site that I would normally trust.

The case is a rather low-quality part, and according to some reviews I read it was overpriced for what it was when it came out. Shoddy build-quality and a lack of space for wire management rather ruin the product, and the pricing just makes it worse. I'm really amazed by this but it's being sold at Newegg for $80.20 USD (about 70.87 EUR), and you can get a lot better cases for a similar price. I'm not surprised by this, as Aerocool has a tendency to sell products that are utter rubbish. I remember some power supplies they made years ago that were fire hazards that didn't output anywhere near their rated wattage, their fans were similarly junk as well.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/aerocool_xpredatorx1/

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2012/10/05/aerocool-x-predator-x1-review/1

Prices below are based upon cost for these parts new at Newegg.com.

FX-8370: $199.99 (176.71 EUR)
MSI 970A-G46: $79.99 (70.68 EUR)
Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866MHz Fury Blue, 2X4GB KIT (8GB) Dual Channel: $48.99 (43.29 EUR)
Fortron FSP Hyper 700W: $? no idea on price, couldn't find one on sale
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB: $52.99 (46.82 EUR)
Transcend SSD370 128GB SSD: $68.12 (60.19 EUR)
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GTX 970 GAMING 4G: $334.99 (296 EUR)
Totals: $785.07 USD (693.69 EUR)

No, it doesn't really seem like a good deal to me. I notice you don't mention an Operating System, so I assume it doesn't come with one and didn't add value of OS into my calculations. Frankly, I think you could build a better computer with better components for 999 Euro's or less.

Last edited:
Agreed completely.

A 4+1 power phase design is not good. Definitely not good enough for an FX-8370, or a 6350 or 6300 for that matter. It's just some low-cost low-end motherboard, that just isn't robust enough to support that CPU. And with it being an MSI board it's probably junk, based upon their quality issues as of late.

Power supply is also questionable, as I recall Fortron/FSP units not usually being very good. Barely acceptable in a lot of reviews I've read for other products they've made. Couldn't find hardly any reviews of that particular model, which worries me a bit. No mention of it at JonnyGuru's site, or any other reputable site that I would normally trust.

The case is a rather low-quality part, and according to some reviews I read it was overpriced for what it was when it came out. Shoddy build-quality and a lack of space for wire management rather ruin the product, and the pricing just makes it worse. I'm really amazed by this but it's being sold at Newegg for $80.20 USD (about 70.87 EUR), and you can get a lot better cases for a similar price. I'm not surprised by this, as Aerocool has a tendency to sell products that are utter rubbish. I remember some power supplies they made years ago that were fire hazards that didn't output anywhere near their rated wattage, their fans were similarly junk as well.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/aerocool_xpredatorx1/

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2012/10/05/aerocool-x-predator-x1-review/1

Prices below are based upon cost for these parts new at Newegg.com.

FX-8370: $199.99 (176.71 EUR)
MSI 970A-G46: $79.99 (70.68 EUR)
Kingston HyperX 8GB 1866MHz Fury Blue, 2X4GB KIT (8GB) Dual Channel: $48.99 (43.29 EUR)
Fortron FSP Hyper 700W: $? no idea on price, couldn't find one on sale
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB: $52.99 (46.82 EUR)
Transcend SSD370 128GB SSD: $68.12 (60.19 EUR)
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GTX 970 GAMING 4G: $334.99 (296 EUR)
Totals: $785.07 USD (693.69 EUR)

No, it doesn't really seem like a good deal to me. I notice you don't mention an Operating System, so I assume it doesn't come with one and didn't add value of OS into my calculations. Frankly, I think you could build a better computer with better components for 999 Euro's or less.

I'm not sure about the euro, but British pricing on PC components is about $1=£1 so I assume that wherever he is in Europe, is similar to Britain.

I'm not sure about the euro, but British pricing on PC components is about $1=£1 so I assume that wherever he is in Europe, is similar to Britain.

He said it was priced at 999 Euro, so I converted the pricing into Euro's.

He never mentioned pricing in pounds.

Back