• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BETTER IS JUST BETTER!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
had a little time today so I dug some stuff out of the junk pile.
I got out my ch5-f-z board, my 2 gtx760's, my fx8350, and the normal support staff.
the only change i made was the power supply, i left out the ultra 1050 that i have used for a couple of years with this kit and slipped in an evga 850g2 that i got from oklahoma wolf a week or two ago.
why am i typing all of this you might ask, because it's better.
not one thing in a big way mind you but just a number of little ways.
A little less vcore to allow a little higher clock, a little less cpu/nb voltage with a little higher cpu/nb speed, and being able to tighten the ram timmings just a little.
what have I learned from this????
bigger is not better, better is better

without tweaking around I got from @5.4 to 5.45 om the cpu, gained about 30 on the cpu/nb and lowered the read to read and write to write by one, so some nice little gains without trying any demon tweaks!

kind of strange thing, at modest clocks, 5.0-5.2 with the 2 760's clocked up I have to set cpu, ram and cpu/nb clocks back to where i have been running them but, when i go ahead and turn the cpu on up to 5.45 with the cards clocked up i can tighen the ram back up and raise the cpu/nb back up.

this was caused by running 2 unmatched kits of ram for a total of 16 gigs, with 2x4gig sticks i can tighten it up, drop the ram voltage 3 clicks and run it right up from 4.8 to 5.5, that gives me a full 100 mhz on the cpu here in my 76f room along with the ram and cpu/nb bumps thats a pretty well spent $100!!!

Smoooother Vooooltage. This is why low ripple is nice.

Interesting, I never realized that a quality power supply could also change the voltages needed for an OC. Thanks Bob and C/D for posting this!

manny, you tend to forget that what we take as ho, hum, everyday stuff is bleeding edge to the rest of the world.

I do know that the ultra had 250mv-300mv ac on the dc rails and that is very, very dirty.

That's 2x to 2.5x the allowed ripple on 12v. Enough to cause serious problems.
If that was on the 5v/3.3v, that's 5x-6x the allowed ripple, enough to kill.

Generally speaking going from a PSU with high-but-allowed ripple to a PSU with OMG-awesomely-low ripple won't give you much unless you're at the bitter edge of things.
If however you're on a PSU with illegal ripple, things may improve a good bit. They also stand a better chance of not destroying things, of course.

12v rails.

whats r3eally neat is that i can now p 95 at 5.5 on all 8 and keep to my temp limits!!!

mo-ra, 4x180, fans on 7 volts.

with ai suite installed i can ease it up some, the big shock when when it first loads is the limiting factor so i will try easing the clock up under load when i get some more time.

mo-ra, 4x180, fans on 7 volts.

with ai suite installed i can ease it up some, the big shock when when it first loads is the limiting factor so i will try easing the clock up under load when i get some more time.

Good for you C_D, that's a decent clock, a bit overkill just for surfing isn't it :clap:
I learned my lesson with a Raidmax and trying to run an SLI set-up. According to specs it should have been more than enough but random crashing was driving me over the edge. Swapped it out for a Corsair and all my trouble went away.

what else would we want other than over kill???

around here we like to lead, not follow!!!

we are the rc gang but, that thread is getting so deep a lot of info in it is being missed.

Back