• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Between these two cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kado

I am trying to decide between these two cards.
Sapphire 7950 HD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102991
or
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

I have done some research and alot of people suggest the 670. But my use for this machine is 99% gaming. But am also looking for a card that in the future if i want more power can SLI or crossfire and get the most bang for my buck out of it.
All information and feedback is appreciated,

Thank you

The 670 is a faster card. That said, your board, I believe is only good for CrossfireX (AMD) not SLI (Nvidia).

+1 for the 670, either that or the giga card (here) Its $20 cheaper, but then again thats not a lot to pay for evga customer service, lifetime warranty etc. but i would say that the giga card has a better cooler than the evga one and will most likely run cooler ( at a guess).

Its entirely up to you though there are pros and cons for both. I wouldnt even factor in the 7950 at this point. But then again issue with your mobo being the primary concern as ED highlighted. Do you plan to crossfire/sli at any point? If you do then the 7950 might be the route for you. Just as a side note the 670 will munch up any game maxed out@1080. i play bf at 1080 and never drop below 60 fps. Same with skyrim ( +101 mods, including all the high rez ones). Actually the only card i have seen below 60 fps in is shogun 2 when i have a 10,000 man battle and even then in the thickest bits of fighting i only dropped to around 35-40 fps. Not too shabby i must say

i need to update my sig. This is for my new build in which my parts are coming tomorrow. I decided to trade up last minute on my MSI board that was gonna get the Z77-G45 and ordered an Asus Sabertooth Z77 instead. Going to be going with my 3570k chip. Goodbye AMD and hello Intel once again!

i need to update my sig. This is for my new build in which my parts are coming tomorrow. I decided to trade up last minute on my MSI board that was gonna get the Z77-G45 and ordered an Asus Sabertooth Z77 instead. Going to be going with my 3570k chip. Goodbye AMD and hello Intel once again!

clear choice then, the 670. Not only is it faster, its a breeze to OC, although it is limited to the fact you cant tweak volts really. Having said that a lot of people are getting 1300mhz + which puts it in the ballpark of a 7970 overclocked in terms of performance. If we ever get the volts unlocked past 1.175 people are going to be looking at 1400mhz easy in my opinion. Also it draw MUCH less power and runs a lot cooler.

I am in the process of getting my rig set up. jumping through some hoops to get windows 7 loaded up. but once that is done then i am ready to rock and roll!

My EVGA 670 FTW will be here middle of the week. From what i got to use of it while the 7950 worked it is amazing, cant wait till its all together.

My EVGA 670 FTW will be here middle of the week. From what i got to use of it while the 7950 worked it is amazing, cant wait till its all together.

Nice choice. Enjoy, and make sure to post your OC's.

DD

+1 for the 670, either that or the giga card (here) Its $20 cheaper, but then again thats not a lot to pay for evga customer service, lifetime warranty etc.

I just wanted to point out that EVGA discontinued their lifetime warranty when they introduced the 6XX series. Their service is still excellent though.

Indeed. No reason to go EVGA if there's no more legendary warranty. Go ASUS DC-II or Gigabyte.

Unless you want the 4gb version, almost nobody else makes them... I was thinking about getting the ASUS DC-II but it's only 2gb. Why 4gb? 2560x1600, might not hit the 2gb limit that often but it just might in a year or 2 and if I'm gonna drop over 1k in video cards, I'd rather not have to do it again before 3 years. I usually skip a generation.

Its a solid card and it will fit in with what i want to do. So long as it will last me two years between my builds I will be more than happy so long as the darn thing functions unlike the two 7950's i have chewed up in the past three weeks.

Back