• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 6800 GT OC - Need a little help, performance drops with OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

canadianpsycho

FX 53 (using 12.5 multi for 2.5 GHz)
1 Gig OCZ Plat Rev. 2
Neo 2 Plat 1.51B BIOS
BFG 6800 GT OC
74 GB Raptor
Audigy 2 ZS
200 GB Seagate SATA
Powerstream 520W PSU

6800GT is on its own cord (one of the shielded power cables for vga/hdd)

CS:S Stress tests:

Stock: 110
400/1.00: 115.15
405/1.00: 118.36
405/1.05: 118.13
410/1.00: 117.83 then 98.76 (test "hiccuped" basically locked up for a second or two during the run)
410/1.05: 107.78 (hiccup)
415/1.00: 101.76 (hiccup)
425/1.10: 90.81

So basically, after I hit 410 core/ anything over 1.00 GHz mem my fps start to drop, along with an occaisional hicccup.

Other info:

-vAGP is at stock
-stock cooling (have 2 120mm intake and 1 120 mm exhaust, system temps seem OK)
-Original reference cooler, not the bling bling 2 fan cooler on later BFG cards
-2D/3D are at different settings
-Fastwrites are ON
-NO ARTIFACTING is visually present.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking about trying to turn off FW, but I'm wondering if upping the vagp will help at all.

Okay i have the same card as you. except mine has the bling, bling dual coolers and copper bottom. I think that cooler makes a difference, cause i have had no problems at all, and i can hit 426/1170 mem no problem. i play cs:s like its a religion and i average 132 fps at 1280 res and everything on high and 2xAA and 4xAF in stress test. so i think its the cooler. try getting a aftermarket cooler. does your 3Dmark05 score drop at all?

by the way my name usually on here is jtracc20, i just had to register another acount cause i am at school. anyway, i think you just might be at your thresh hold. A lot guys on here i have talked to get a little less from that card then you do, so consider yourself lucky i guess. :clap:

I just find it kind of had to believe that I can run all the way to 425 core without artifacting, yet my performance decreases. I think I might try disabling fastwrites.

What motherboard are you running BFGBOI/jtracc20?

well every card has it's thermal limits, just because your card doesn't artifact at those levels doesn't mean that it can handle them. What temps are u seeing? Have you taken the HSF off and applied as5? Fastwrites sometimes affects performance, try it without and with it on to see. Uping the voltage may help or it may make things worse than they are.

canadianpsycho said:
I just find it kind of had to believe that I can run all the way to 425 core without artifacting, yet my performance decreases. I think I might try disabling fastwrites.

What motherboard are you running BFGBOI/jtracc20?

check sig.

well every card has its sweet spot so you should just find the clocks that give you the best performance (they dont have to be the fastest) and if temperature is the problem (and even if it isnt) just slap a big *** heatsink on the core and make nice tall ramsinks:attn:

cooler is better...so they say...

I can run my 6800 all the way up to 450MHz on the core without artifacts, but I get the best framerate at 430MHz, after that, FPS begins to drop.

Back