• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 6800 GT OC Troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acrobatikdan

Registered
I just got my BFG 6800 GT OC yesterday around 6 pm EST yesterday. I played Doom 3 with it after installing the card and the 61.77 nvidia drivers just to see how great it will perfom stock, well it was great. So then I overclocked it using PowerStrip to 412/1108 and ran 3DMark03. I scored 11428, I was very pleased =P. So then i go into Doom 3 and apply all the high settings with 4xAA, ran great I had 60 fps 90% of the time with a few spikes down to 30 once and awhile. Played Doom 3/OC'd some more until 2pm last night. This morning I wake up play some Doom 3 again (runs just fine). Then decide to run 3DMark again for the hell of it and I get a 5904! I tried lowering the clock speeds and running 3DMark again, but I couldnt score anything above 6100, I eventually lowered it to stock speeds but still no luck. Weird thing was that Doom 3 was still running perfectly. So later on I try using Coolbits 2 to OC it instead, maybe PowerStrip was messing up. So I go back to about 410/1100 and I still scored a crappy 6000. And then, I played Doom 3 and my fps stayed around 40, and when I started shooting it dropped to around 20-30, with spikes of 15 here and there. What the hell is going on!? Could someone help me somehow and explain how this could be happening/what I can do to fix it? I'm almost positive cooling is not an issue, and I have re-seated it also.
I have a 480 Watt ThermalTake PSU
512MB PC3200 OCZ Enhanced Latency Platinum Edition
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (unlocked/oc'd to 2.1GHz)
MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR (Nforce2) mobo
Any help?

edit: I just thought of something... I did install DX9.0c today, and perhaps (I can't remember) my slower speeds started after that? Even though Doom 3 is an OpenGL game perhaps this is my reason for lower 3DMark scores? I had DX9.0b installed previously.

Last edited:
Well the problem was indeed DirectX. Just for future refrence of people who may have the same problem, DirectX 9.0c lowered my 3DMark03 score about 6,000 points, and cut my Doom 3 fps in half. I just searched for a DX 9 uninstaller and then re-installed DX 9.0b, then the 61.77 drivers on top of that. Even though this should (hopefully) be fixed in the next nvidia driver, maybe someone else will have the same problem as me before that release.

i think you should install drivers after you install dx9.0c, im running with dx9.0c SP2 and 65.62 drivers fine

Yeah, I spotted a post saying that elsewhere when I was google'n. I just decided to do it the other way for some reason. Does DX9.0c have any advantages over 9.0b right now?

Back