• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

big base clock jumps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
my board seems to be picky when i change the base clock from 200mhz right to let's say 250mhz. even though i know the 250mhz setting, along with other oc settings, is perfectly fine; bootable and stable. when i do this it never lets me boot into the OS. the only way it works is if i go in 20mhz increments, boot to OS, restart , go into bios, increase again.

is this normal mobo behavior or is it just my board?

is this normal mobo behavior or is it just my board? = H*ll no it is not normal on a good motherboard. I thought you were thru messing with that thing?

I can "see" how it might happen, but it is totally way off base from how motherboards should work. If you chose RE-start and not shut-down and reboot the motherboard bios is not testing fully all parameters in the bios and is changing some setting in the back ground that you likely cannot see. It (bios) is making some aUtO adjustment that is not fully pushing the clock and then windows will boot. That is what I suspect.

Nothing about that board that does not fully recognize the cpu as it really is, is subject to any sort of crap as a possibility.
RGone...

funny rgone, yes i am probably just about done messing around with this board :)

have to work with what i got.

have to work with what i got.

I know about working with what you have. I cannot afford to upgrade a single part right now. Thankfully, the last purchase was made wisely though and I am not hung out to dry with a dorky motherboard.

So far nothing we have seen reflected in how that mobo works has been logical compared to the AMD chipset boards most of us use when we make plans to overclock and AMD cpu. The Nvidia NF4 chipset motherboards were awesome, but since that time, there has been little to know progress made by Nvidia. I guess if one wanted to shorten the naming of the Nvidia chipsets for ease of remembering the NF4 was awesome. The NF5 was sort of so so. The NF6 like you have now was never seen much but on entry level boards. Nvidia could sell those chipsets to board manufacturers cheap because they have not done anything to bring out new AMD chipsets since the release of the NF6 some 5 years ago. Not overly expensive if you just keep turning out the same chipset with no R&D expense to amount to anything.

I used to have to support those NF5 and if I remember correctly a few of the NF6 AMD boards when I worked for a mobo manufacturer. It was never much fun and nearly none once the subject of overclocking came up. And back at that time 4.5 years ago there was no Phenom2 to try and use.

I know you could DO much better if the board and cpu had made a good hand-shake with each other, but they do not. Nothing we can do about that. I would even hazard a guess that a different cpu might do better. Certainly a cpu that was fully recognized by the motherboard. But buying another cpu to patch up the motherboard seems rather foolish in light of the weakness of the mobo to begin with.

If you are getting even a miniature overclock with what you have, then it is about all that one can expect considering the overall scope of things. You just do not have a grouping of components that allow for much overclocking success. And you are left with oddness because it seems the cpu and board are not good friends.
RGone...

i bought the board about a year ago to update my gateway PC i bought WAY back in 2000! it was my first attempt at a mobo and CPU upgrade so i was just going cheap and i really did not know much about hardware at the time or that i would ever be overclocking. but i soon got hooked on the hardware - upgrading, case modding and building.

i first saw signs of trouble with this board when i bought my first SSD recently. board (nvidia chipset) doesnt support AHCI so i have to run sata in IDE. i think the nvidia sata drivers do not support TRIM either.

hey live and learn... by the way i got the cpu up to 3.7ghz. im pretty happy with that.

thanks for all the feedback rgone.

one more thing...what do you mean the CPU and board really don't talk to (or recognize) each other well?

my board seems to be picky when i change the base clock from 200mhz right to let's say 250mhz. even though i know the 250mhz setting, along with other oc settings, is perfectly fine; bootable and stable. when i do this it never lets me boot into the OS. the only way it works is if i go in 20mhz increments, boot to OS, restart , go into bios, increase again.

is this normal mobo behavior or is it just my board?

May just be acting funky because of Vdroop.

I had the same issue before, but on the Intel X58 platform, so dunno how relevant it is. But the exact same thing, failed boot if it was too big of a BLCK change. Same settings would work if you incrementally went up to them.

It was also a relatively power hungry board on a cheaper motherboard though.

Back