• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios doesn't detect NVMe M.2 ssd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thursil

Hello!
My storage space was running out so I wanted to buy a new ssd. My decision was the Samsung 970 evo.
After I properly installed it in my mainboard and started the bios it didn't show up anywhere. I tested all settings I could find regarding a M.2 ssd and googled for an answer but couldn't find anything.
I read somewhere that you have to leave the first and second sata port empty, so I did that as well. My best bet would be to update the bios since it is old (from around 2016). I was told though that it is risky and I should only do it if I have to.
Could an outdated bios be the problem in the first place?

Here are my specs:

CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: gtx 1070
Storage: 1 x 250GB ssd / 1 x 1TB hdd / (problem is with the new 1TB 970 evo)
Mainboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Bios version: 0311

If you need any other information just tell me. Thanks for reading this!

Update the bios, absolutely. It isnt risky.

Your manual will tell you which sata ports are disabled when using m.2 ssd.

Tip: Disconnect your other drives from the mobo. You will need to research how to setup your bios for the M.2 drive if you plan to boot from it. If for storage your bios will see it once it is the only drive installed. After you can see it in the bios, save and exit and confirm it is still showing. Shutdown computer, re-attach the other drives and boot, should be fine.

Back