• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crofty83

I've got an IBM thinkpad laptop but now when i boot it up i get the error

0271 : Check date and time settings

then it goes to a blank screen where it askes for a password.

Any idea's

Thanks, Anthony

I think that you have two issues. 1) The CMOS battery is dead. If this were a desktop machine, it would be a simple watch battery. It still may be a watch battery for the laptop but I don't know. 2) Some one put in a BIOS password that you need to disable. This is usually done by resetting the BIOS. Again, on a desktop machine, this is a simple jumper setting. It may be that simple on the laptop but I don't know. The problem with both items is that you may have to take the machine apart to some extent to reach the battery and/or the BIOS reset.

I think both cases would require to reset the cmos battery, most laptops and notebooks having the cmos battery easy to get to, but without seeing a picture of this portable computer, I am unable to say with a certainty if this is the case for yours.

Back