• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS keeps resetting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PlayerHunter

Registered
I've studied this problem around the web, and am confident that I am 99.9% through the process of figuring out a fix. But I really need help to complete it.

I did the whole "check CMOS battery and jumper" thing. That's not the issue.

So I figured out it must be the RTC resetting the BIOS problem that a lot of people seem to have. I found out fixing it involves a DSDT editing program, checking that "length" says 0.02 and deleting the IRQ line, and doing something with the resultant dsdt.aml file.

But that's where I'm stuck. A lot of the guides are based on apple OS. I'm running Windows 7. Something about patching it, maybe moving the aml file to a specific location? But that's where it grinds to a halt for me.

Please help me figuring out the last bit. It keeps resetting my settings, so I can't oc.

A bit more information would be helpful. What MB, BIOS, list of components and OS. From there it will be easier to help pinpoint the steps to get you fixed up. :cool:

A bit more information would be helpful. What MB, BIOS, list of components and OS. From there it will be easier to help pinpoint the steps to get you fixed up. :cool:

Yeah I figured that might not be enough information. I just thought it might be all the relevant information, since people are experiencing these problems across different os's, motherboard's and all sorts of hardware.

Motherboard: Sabertooth X58 with latest BIOS
CPU: I7 960 3.2 GHz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 560 ti
RAM: 3x4 Gb sticks of Corsair Vengeance RAM
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX

I think that's all. I hope you can help me with a fix.

You say "bios keeps resetting". What are you doing when this occurs? Does it reset when you are overclocking, changing power settings, when does this occur? Does your system run stably from POST if the MB is at default settings? Have you added any new hardware recently? Software?

You say "bios keeps resetting". What are you doing when this occurs? Does it reset when you are overclocking, changing power settings, when does this occur? Does your system run stably from POST if the MB is at default settings? Have you added any new hardware recently? Software?

Some settings can stick, lige memory timing and disabling speedstep and c1e, but any changes to cpu and memory beyond that keeps getting reset. And it's not just when the pc bluescreens, that's just when I don't give enough volts for a specific cpu overclock. It just resets regardles, both cpu and memory values as well as the power settings.

The pc itself runs perfectly stable, it just won't let changes stick. No new hardware or software.

It sounds like you are trying to reset too many variables at once that are non-stable; the BIOS recognizes it and defaults. Have you tried changing one variable at a time, F10, and reboot? Working with OC'ing is something done in small steps at first to determine what your set-up likes, what it is capable of, and then pulling it all together, one piece at a time. Once you've gotten some stability across all your components you can save the profile for later use, either onboard (I don't know if the x58 does this) or write it up in your "cook book".

It sounds like you are trying to reset too many variables at once that are non-stable; the BIOS recognizes it and defaults. Have you tried changing one variable at a time, F10, and reboot? Working with OC'ing is something done in small steps at first to determine what your set-up likes, what it is capable of, and then pulling it all together, one piece at a time. Once you've gotten some stability across all your components you can save the profile for later use, either onboard (I don't know if the x58 does this) or write it up in your "cook book".

I could use some tips regardless, like how to safe en OC profile in the BIOS. But I'm not always trying to change more than one thing at a time. Voltage can be changed in the OS through the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, but when I restart or start up from a switched off state, the voltage have reset. Same goes for other settings. Besides, I'm working with completely safe, stable settings. I'm going for reliability, as opposed to breakneck performance.

For example:
3.6 to 3.8 GHz, Bclk 160, CPU ratio 22x to 24x, RAM ratio 10x, Uncore ratio 20x, RAM volts 1.5, Core volts 2.5.

Doesn't really sound all that extreme, does it?

It's supposed to have something to do with the RTC.

If you change any bios settings through a software utility in windows it will 99% of the time reset to defaults after a reboot/BS unless the programme you use to make the changes has the option to "apply on startup" which is unlikely on a cpu voltage setting.

You will have to make the adjustments in the mobo bios and press F10 to save, then reboot to make things stick :thup:

I would also check the cmos battery. Tho it's rare that the battery goes weak or dead, it does happen. Battery model # CR2032

If you change any bios settings through a software utility in windows it will 99% of the time reset to defaults after a reboot/BS unless the programme you use to make the changes has the option to "apply on startup" which is unlikely on a cpu voltage setting.

You will have to make the adjustments in the mobo bios and press F10 to save, then reboot to make things stick :thup:

That is interesting. I didn't know that, alas, I've also tried adjusting settings directly in the BIOS, and they still won't stick. By the way, I can get the settings to stick sometimes through a restart and play games with those settings, but as soon as I turn the pc off, the settings would have reset next time I turn it back on.

I would also check the cmos battery. Tho it's rare that the battery goes weak or dead, it does happen. Battery model # CR2032

Checked the CMOS battery and jumper first, both are accounted for.

BTW I'm assuming this is a typo :eek:

Yeah, didn't catch that. I mean 1.25.

Any ideas on the DSDT solution? Anyone tried it? I mostly see sites where they are talking about it being used on Apple OS's. But it should be an option on Windows as well. Got the right version of DSDTse. I delete the IRQ line, then hit "compile", and it creates a dsl, and an aml file. You're supposed to do something with the aml file. On the other forums, they are saying something about patching and installing, but that's not an option in the program. Maybe it's supposed to go somewhere?

I just want a simple, one time alteration, that makes the BIOS not constantly reset it's settings. Maybe it's not about the DSDT? Maybe there's a cfg file somewhere where's I can delete something to make it work? Please help, this constant resetting is kicking my ***.

This. OP needs to slow down a bit. Read Miahallen's guide for overclocking x58.

The easiest way I can see to combat your predicament would be to save you're stable oc settings as a profile in your bios, and just boot using that profile everytime you turn on, not ideal I know but a workaround for sure.

I am familiar with the various guides. I have already followed them. And I can run with the settings so long as it's a restart, but a boot from a shutdown state resets the whole thing.

I should also say that the settings SOMETIMES stick during a restart, but never from a cold boot.

What do you mean by "accounted for"? Did you check the voltage on the battery with a DMM to verify it's @ 3V DC?

I can see the voltage from OCCT. The original battery was fine, as was the battery I replaced it with just to be sure. And the jumper is on pins 1 and 2, so that's right as well. I tried again this morning to apply my settings in the BIOS on startup, which had of course reset themselves, but they refused to stick once again.

PLEASE tell me how to fix this bloody problem. I know it must be something so simple like deleting a line somewhere. Does anyone know how to use the DSDT program? It's supposed to be able to fix the problem, but I don't know how.

I can see the voltage from OCCT. The original battery was fine, as was the battery I replaced it with just to be sure. And the jumper is on pins 1 and 2, so that's right as well. I tried again this morning to apply my settings in the BIOS on startup, which had of course reset themselves, but they refused to stick once again.

PLEASE tell me how to fix this bloody problem. I know it must be something so simple like deleting a line somewhere. Does anyone know how to use the DSDT program? It's supposed to be able to fix the problem, but I don't know how.

I'm kind of surprised. You say you can see the battery voltage in OCCT. Didn't know that was possible.........:-/

Back