• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS temps dont match software temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewFrag

Have a water cooled PC and CPU idle temp is ~65 C IDLE. Use CAM and HWMonitor software to monitor components and both agree that CPU is around 60 C idle, However, when I enter ASUS BIOS its readings indicate about 30 C idle. Who do I trust? And if the programs are correct, then why the h*ll is my water cooled CPU 65 C at idle?!

Additional Info:
- Using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste and recently replaced it
- Using 120 mm radiator to cool
- No components are overclocked

Please list the full system components, including the cooling and ambient temperature.

This told us nothing except the CPU and GPU.

Again, please list all system components. And please list the ambient temperature.

CPU = A10 7870k 3.9 Ghz---------------Stressed: ~80 C, Ambient: ~65 C
GPU = GTX 970--------------------------Stressed: ~70 C, Ambient: ~38 C
Motherboard = ASUS A88x Pro----------Stressed: ~30 C, Ambient: ~26 C
RAM = Corsair Vengeance 8 Gb
Storage = 3Tb 7200rpm
Case = NZXT Phantom
Cooling = NZXT Kraken x31
Power = Antec 720W 80 bronze

Ambient temperature = room temperature.

What does AMD Overdrive list as your temperature at idle and load for the CPU?
What are you using to stress the CPU?

replace "ambient" with "idle" in my last post, sorry I am Russia.
overdrive is saying ~65 C idle and around 80 C under stress

Cpu stress program is GTA V

I'm not sure what you want with this info, but my original question is should I trust BIOs or my other programs?

Trying to see what's going on with they system.
Is the air coming out of the radiator hot?

newfrag, we are thousands of miles from you, all the info we can get helps up help you.
let pick one software to monitor with, take out all of them but amd overdrive please.

Is the fan spinning?
Is the air exhausting from the case?
Can you tell if the pump is running on the X31? I'm assuming you plugged the cables from the waterblock in.

Fan is spinning, and air is blowing out. I can hear the faint sound of water flow and all the connections are secure.

If you're running a stress test, and there is no hot air coming out, then that means one of two things.
One; the block isn't making solid contact with the CPU.
Two; the pump isn't working.

Since you can hear the pump moving water, that only leaves one real option... bad contact with the CPU.

thank you millions for your help, but how do I know if the contact is tight enough? I don't want to bend my motherboard. Is there a rule of thumb?

Back