• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TForce 550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I see.. so its NOT a function of the [auto] setting .. in other words, 'auto' doesnt mean to dynamically alter the voltage supply as needed, but rather to automatically ascertain what the default vcore value is. In that case, if I selected a manual reading of, say, 1.35, it would probably pop up some during max load also, just like it does now under 'auto'.

Ive read other peoples' experience with this CPU-Z voltage readings also, and it seems most people, under full load, experience a raised voltage reading in cpu-z when compared to their 'normal' readings.

BTW, I see in your sig that youre able to hit 3 ghz stable but require a 1.45 vcore boost in the bios to do so. Do you know how hot my cpu would run at 1.45v? Id probably be somewhere near, or over 60 degrees! So I keep it at 2.78 ghz which keeps max temps no higher than 50 under full Orthos load, and vcore fluctuating between 1.328 and 1.364..

Yea, I wouldn't try for 3ghz without upgrading your cooling first. Myself I run slightly over 50C at 3ghz, mid 40s at 2.9 with 1.4V, and high 30s at 2.8ghz (stock voltage), you would probably be pushing 60+.

If I can find a VCore read point that is easily read while the computer is still in the case I really want to find out how accurate the CPUZ readings are, otherwise I am actually running 1.5V at 3ghz.

funnyperson1 said:
Yea, I wouldn't try for 3ghz without upgrading your cooling first. Myself I run slightly over 50C at 3ghz, mid 40s at 2.9 with 1.4V, and high 30s at 2.8ghz (stock voltage), you would probably be pushing 60+.

If I can find a VCore read point that is easily read while the computer is still in the case I really want to find out how accurate the CPUZ readings are, otherwise I am actually running 1.5V at 3ghz.

why don't you just try random points with a DMM? i did that on my dfi ultra-d and found some points that seemed to be vcore. :)

though, be very careful... i used a VERY SHARP point as my positive lead... and had ground stuck in a molex.... just kept tappin' away til i found something reasonable.

nookuwn said:
i dont think so. The biosstar tforce 570 (sli) is cheaper from that etailer you linked. I would go for the 570 if cant find this board everyone in this thread are discussing. I would imagine the Tforce 570 should have same overclocking options (if not more) as this TF550. I am just an interested party here viewing this thread. So, Better get more feedbacks from tfoce experts here.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=17060BD4573&vpn=TFORCE570SLI&manufacture=BIOSTAR

The TForce550 SE is just another revision of the 550,it seems to behave and overclock similarly to the 1.3 revision.

But ochungry makes a good point, might as well get the 570SLI for 10 bucks less, more features and still a great overclocker.

Has anyone got this running with linux? I had read in the newegg comments that someone had no problems, but since this seems to be THE thread, just wanted to see if anyone could comment? I have a dual boot Ubuntu/WinXp setup, and hoping this will be my fulltime Ubuntu box with just a vmware XP for some necessary newsgroup/video programs...

I'm thinking of getting this board with an X2 3600+ , some cheap 555-12 capable memory, and was hoping to get by with the sonata 2 case Power supply which I heard is pretty crappy... but budget is as it is, hoping until I can invest in a better one... any problems with that setup? I feel like I'm getting into this pretty late.

Where do you see the 570 SLI for 10$ less? next step up from the 550 @ 80$ is the 570 @ 105$ If the only difference is the SLI capability for multiple video cards, dual nics, and some windows features, I think those would be lost on my ubuntu setup...

I'm moving up from an i865 P4 3Ghz chip which has been rock stable for me for the past ~2 years. hopefully see a big improvement... Thanks for all the good info.

I was running Linux on this at some point and I don't remember having any issues, you shouldn't have any as long as you use a distro with a newer kernel.

The $10 less was from the Canadian site nookuwn was ordering from.

Just an update on the fix shroomer suggested for the realtek audio panel pop, worked a treat

Thanks

IMPORTANT CONCERING RAM VOLTAGE JUMPER

I'm sure most of you are aware of the voltage ram jumper that can be set to 2.2V. On my board this jumper caused the voltage to be bumped to 2.49V!!!

Be careful!

Yeah, mine says specifically on the board now it's 2.4v not 2.2v ... and mine came with a sticker on the bios rom chip 207... which I thought was the newest one? Maybe not modded, but looks like they are always improving things... just got mine a week ago, haven't flipped it on yet though.

I believe the 1.2 and higher revisions changed it to a 2.4V jumper although it does overvolt a little.

The 207 bios is the newest version for the TForce550, but the 550SE has a couple newer ones and they can be used on the 550 afaik albeit with some quirks.

rebel's forum has some great info, I didn't realize SE really was second edition, that's what I ended up with, glad I checked before flashing!

Looking forward to the 550/3600+ combo coming in for a friend next week. Anyone buy a 550 off the Egg very recently? Are they shipping out SE's now are or they still unloading older revisions?

Can someone please take a look at their manual for the TF550 SE and confirm whether if it can take upto 8gb of memory or upto 4gb? My Patriot 4gb kit is looking for a new home :) . Hopefully this mb can take 2gb stick per DIMM.

PS. 8gb on Biostar's website but 4gb in it's manual :shrug:.

Thank you so much! :D

Some help guys...

I've got my new rig together and have hit a wall.
tforce 550se (feb 07 bios), 3600x2, corsair VS 667 (2gig kit).

I'm able to run 285 at default Vcore but no amount of extra Vcore gets me to even 290 (I've tried up to 1.45). I've kept my chipset voltage settings at 'auto'. My ram is spec'ed at 1.8v, but the board defaults to 1.95v
I was able to buy 5MHz of HTT speed upping the memory divider from 400 to 533 (having read of issues with the 400 setting). I've tried both 3x and 4x HTT multis. Memory timings are set at 'auto'.

I'm running watercooled, and the brisbane is uncapped.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Suprchargd said:
Looking forward to the 550/3600+ combo coming in for a friend next week. Anyone buy a 550 off the Egg very recently? Are they shipping out SE's now are or they still unloading older revisions?

I got my SE from newegg jersey last week.

Ruiner said:
Some help guys...
Memory timings are set at 'auto'.

There is your problem, you're going to need to set those manually to get some speed.

The auto memory timings just set the SPD timings at 533 (or whatever divider you are using) and never loosen up no matter how much higher you go.

Try these timings that Polygon suggested (they are pretty loose and should give you some extra headway overclocking).
http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sisubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=53;t=000255;p=21#000307

Back