• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TPower I45 Voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterG

I swapped out my D2-A7 for an I45 and I've mostly been pleased with the results so far. However, the voltage required for overclocking the chipset worries me a bit. I've been about as high as 1.3V, but more than that just seems insane. That said, there are images out on the web of people running their I45 at 1.44V. I did install the extra heat-pipe cooling and fan on top of the voltage regulators and replaced the crappy thermal tape they had on there with some nice AS Ceramique. There is also a good amount of airflow around it. The temps have been pretty close to case temperature, but I'm still afraid to push it too far.

So, how far could I take the chip and not worry about burning it out?

Also, I've noticed that my CPU voltage fluctuates between 1.312V and 1.376V while it is at idle (mostly close to 1.312V). When I start running Orthos for example, the voltage moves quickly up to 1.376V (BIOS setting), and then settles down at 1.368V where it stays pretty solidly. I didn't encounter this on my old motherboard. Any thoughts on this?

Intel says no more than 1.4 or it may degrade processor. Probably should water cool if going above 1.4 for any length of time.

Also, I've noticed that my CPU voltage fluctuates between 1.312V and 1.376V while it is at idle (mostly close to 1.312V).

Do you have Speed Step on in BIOS? You may want turn it off. Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) : [Disabled]

Intel says no more than 1.4 or it may degrade processor. Probably should water cool if going above 1.4 for any length of time.

Also, I've noticed that my CPU voltage fluctuates between 1.312V and 1.376V while it is at idle (mostly close to 1.312V).

Do you have Speed Step on in BIOS? You may want turn it off. Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) : [Disabled]

This is for the chipset voltage not the processor voltage.

@MasterG:

I find that the amount of chipset over voltage can vary with the type of overclock and how your brand of memory interacts with the board/bios and RCOMP settings. Certain high fsb overclocks with high memory speeds may require more chipset and ddr voltage to reduce memory errors and to help gain stability. I've also found that sometimes increasing the chipset voltages may actually increase errors in MemTest. I don't think I would like to run my board 24/7 with 1.3v+ on both chipset and fsb but I don't mind running benchmarks and exploring overclocks sometimes even up to 1.4v. I use an open bench station and like to monitor/touch the heatsinks and I"ll use an extra fan(s) if needed. For 24/7 lower voltage type overclocks I like to try and get the chipset voltages as low as I can.

1.312v idle
_______
1.376v idle
-1.368v load
= .008v (vdroop) I sometimes see idle voltage fluctuation on my boards but not often. I think you should assume the higher voltage is what your chip is set at.

Back