• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
quick question here, but i would like to know what solar panel or set of batteries i can use to power my bitcoin miner. here are the specs

Core 2 duo 8400
Intel DX48BT2
MSI AMD Radeon 7950
500 watt power supply be lepa

i have a solar panel, but its small and my dad uses it to charge this set of batteries he has. like, he puts them in a box and then charges them by sunlight. i was thinking that maybe i could hook the batteries and solar panel up to the computer. would i need to buy an idea or some sort of device?

Last edited:
It seems like it would need a few hundred watt solar panel to run a computer like that. There are losses in converting to the proper voltage. Depending on the wattage of the solar panel, it may be pretty easy to mine on a raspberry pi, or something similar. Use an car cell phone charger off of the battery- to the raspberry pi.

man this is weird.
every ~2-3 days, 2 blocks lol.

So far its been over 30 hours and 0 from both PC miners. :eh?:

I setup my x4 620 this morning and have it chugging away on one of the yPool workers. Getting something instead of nothing seems better to me. And at this rate, I may just go back and make all 3 work on yPool. I didn't keep good track, but I seemed to get around 4+ XPM a day.

It seems like it would need a few hundred watt solar panel to run a computer like that. There are losses in converting to the proper voltage. Depending on the wattage of the solar panel, it may be pretty easy to mine on a raspberry pi, or something similar. Use an car cell phone charger off of the battery- to the raspberry pi.

so your saying its impossible to hook up my bitcoin miner to solar panel even if i had solar panels powering my house?

so your saying its impossible to hook up my bitcoin miner to solar panel even if i had solar panels powering my house?

He mostly say that you would need TONS of solar panel to power the computer 24/7. 60-80w panel cost much more than what your father could be using to charge batteries. Then you will need more then 1 panel to feed what the PC is using. AND Then again ... you will need more batterie ++ even more panel the get through the night.

500-1000$ of panel/batterie to feed your little mining machine... worth it ? .... get 3-4 more 7950 at that price !

Last edited:
He mostly say that you would need TONS of solar panel to power the computer 24/7. 60-80w panel cost much more than what your father could be using to charge batteries. Then you will more then 1 panel to feed what the PC is using. Then you will need more batterie ++ even more panel the get through the night.

500-1000$ of panel/batterie to feed your little mining machine... worth it ? .... get 3-4 more 7950 at that price !

send me another board and ill get those 7950s on it.

just took another look at the bitcoin difficulty. i feel sick. like stomach sick.

I'm mining feathercoins for that reason...

I also bought 28 shares of LabRatMining, as soon as he gets all the hardware in, it should be about 300mhash per share... with a weekly dividend pay...

I'm also still waiting on my 30GHash ASIC miner...

just signed up for ypool.
want to see if i get any more in 1 day than solo'ing.
and yeah, still with middlecoin, but i might go back to LTC only, as payouts have been crappy lately...

just signed up for ypool.
want to see if i get any more in 1 day than solo'ing.
and yeah, still with middlecoin, but i might go back to LTC only, as payouts have been crappy lately...
It's been almost 46 hours, and still neither miner has found a block, while my yPool miner keeps chugging away. So far, solo mining doesn't seem worth it to me.

Does anyone know the best catalyst drivers for mining bitcoin/altcoin? I'm currently using 13.1 with my 6950 flashed to 6970. I searched google and found a couple threads over a year old talking about drivers and sdks. At the time 2.1 was apparently the best sdk to use. I didn't know if anything changed.

I ordered two msi 7950 twin frozrs to run on my main rig and want to get the best performance possible. The video cards were on sale for ~210 after 20 rebate, will only be getting one rebate. I noticed after I ordered the msi cards they had the sapphire dual x for 10 more.

just foundout that if i keep it at -i 13 i wont get any hardware errors, if i raise it to 14 i start losing profit to HW.

Somehow reading guides seems to NOT be your thing eh...
Intensity is linked to thread concurrency, you can't go over i 13 without upping thread concurrency from 8192 with 79xx cards.

Does anyone know the best catalyst drivers for mining bitcoin/altcoin? I'm currently using 13.1 with my 6950 flashed to 6970. I searched google and found a couple threads over a year old talking about drivers and sdks. At the time 2.1 was apparently the best sdk to use. I didn't know if anything changed.

I ordered two msi 7950 twin frozrs to run on my main rig and want to get the best performance possible. The video cards were on sale for ~210 after 20 rebate, will only be getting one rebate. I noticed after I ordered the msi cards they had the sapphire dual x for 10 more.

Nice, use 12.8 for mining, the stock sdk is fine, but some say 2.7 will yield better results.

Somehow reading guides seems to NOT be your thing eh...
Intensity is linked to thread concurrency, you can't go over i 13 without upping thread concurrency from 8192 with 79xx cards.

i just found that out a while ago. i had to use gpu alloc setx whatever it is to get it to work that high.

right now im having my two 7870s and 7950 mining at high clocks with high settings. i do that to software that keeps running slow at me. its like my way of saying "IF YOUR GOING TO DRINK MY WATER THEN HAVE THE WHOLE BOTTLE" *throws water bottle at person*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back