• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bizarre Crash Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Allute

Registered
I've been working on a client's computer for the last couple of days. I'm still unable to narrow down the specific issue so I'm left to guess based on what I know.

1.) Computer running Windows XP Pro will shut itself off after hours of use without warning.

2.) When the computer crashes (#1) it shows an error message on boot-up that "No bootable drive detected" even with the hard drive selected as the primary boot device.

3.) If all USB devices are unplugged, the error message from #2 is not displayed and the computer boots up normally.

4.) Hard drive fails S.M.A.R.T. with error code:
184 0xB8 End-to-End error / IOEDC
Lower
This attribute is a part of Hewlett-Packard's SMART IV technology, as well as part of other vendors' IO Error Detection and Correction schemas, and it contains a count of parity errors which occur in the data path to the media via the drive's cache RAM.[16]

5.) Computer is only 3 years old. Computer runs fine except for the intermittent crashing.

If you have any ideas, let me know. I've ordered a replacement hard drive and I'll be performing a backup ASAP.

Right, unless this doesn't work. I'm even starting to wonder if maybe the power supply is at fault, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Intermittent failures of any kind are typically the most difficult to troubleshoot; being that you are getting S.M.A.R.T. errors, I agree that replacing the HDD is the most logical first step. If that doesn't clear the problem completely, don't discount the power supply and possibly the motherboard shorting out somewhere (I'm working on a machine now where a populated RAM slot causes the computer to not even POST - other slot works fine). Sounds like you are on the right track though; good luck!

Thanks, I'll keep you posted on the progress once the new drive arrives from Newegg. I planned on using an old copy of Norton Ghost to duplicate the drive. Does anyone have recommendations for a better drive cloning solution?

Norton Ghost is by far the best one out there.

Only now with Windows 7 I am for the first time trying the buildin drive cloning tool.

Back