• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blocked ram slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whiteshadow

Registered
Hello.

A friend of mine just bought a new cpu cooler to replace the stock one. He has 2 high profile vengeance ram modules in dual channel out of the 4 available slots.
Stupidly he didnt check or ask me to check if it will block the slots and now the new cooler will block the 2 left slots.
To explain ill use this diagram below.

[cpu] [1][2] [3][4] (1,2,3,4 are ram slots)

Currently the ram is installed in slot 1 and 3
The cooler will block slot 1 and 2

The question is that if i move the ram to slot 3 and 4 will it still run properly or will he need to get some low profile modules.

According to the manual, they need to be in same-color slots to be in dual channel.

SS-2012-09-09_09.22.53.png

According to the manual, they need to be in same-color slots to be in dual channel.

Ok thanks.
I see my config wont work so ill need do get some more.

I might get some G.skill ripjaws@1600mhz seeing as ive ended up having to do this for him and they seem relatively cheap, and have a smaller heat spreader and i may grab some for me while im at it :D

Also would it be better to get a 4x4gb(quad channel) or a 2x2x4gb(dual channel) pack? Btw i have the Le version of the board i mentioned earlier (also in sig)

Thanks again.

There is no difference between buying two "dual channel" packs or a single "quad channel" pack. All they do is match the models. You could buy four individual sticks and it would work the exact same way.

The only difference is pricing and support. What I mean by the latter is most companies will require you send the whole set back to be replaced. If you bought a "quad channel" kit and a single stick has problems, you have to send all four back, which leaves you with a non-working system.

There is no difference between buying two "dual channel" packs or a single "quad channel" pack. All they do is match the models. You could buy four individual sticks and it would work the exact same way.

The only difference is pricing and support. What I mean by the latter is most companies will require you send the whole set back to be replaced. If you bought a "quad channel" kit and a single stick has problems, you have to send all four back, which leaves you with a non-working system.

Thanks for the info. A quad channel is $8 cheaper but ill get the 2x dual channel just in case.
You seem to know your stuff about computers. Im only 17 and still learning and ive built 2 of my friends compters plus my own.
Thanks. Adam.:thup:

Thanks for the info. A quad channel is $8 cheaper but ill get the 2x dual channel just in case.
You seem to know your stuff about computers. Im only 17 and still learning and ive built 2 of my friends compters plus my own.
Thanks. Adam.:thup:
No problem at all. If you enjoy working on/with computers and spend your time working with them (and helping others!), you will learn it just as well. :cool:

Assuming you're in the US, I'd grab the Samsung DDR3 sticks from Newegg. They're shorter than the actual RAM slot, no issues there. And even though the stock specs look meh (1600 CL11 1.35V), they overclock to the moon and back.

In theory the ram should still work in the last two slots, it just won't run in dual channel, it will be single channel only.

Last edited:
Assuming you're in the US, I'd grab the Samsung DDR3 sticks from Newegg. They're shorter than the actual RAM slot, no issues there. And even though the stock specs look meh (1600 CL11 1.35V), they overclock to the moon and back.

Actually i live in Australia so the availability of most products is pretty bad for local stores and im too young (says my parents) to buy online which also means i have to fork out more cash for the same products.

In theory the ram should still work in the last two slots, it just won't run in dual channel, it will be single channel only.

Will this at all change performance and stability at all?

I also bought the ripjaw ram for my friend and fits nicely under the cooler with about 1-2mm spare. He gave me his vengeance ram but now i have a problem of 1 of the slots being blocked. :bang head
Im thinking of getting a stand alone water cooler, either the Corsair H80 or H100. Any recommendations on either of these?

The H80 and H100 are both good for the price, but probably overkill for a 2500K. A Hyper212 Evo should cool it fine to 4.5GHz.

Back