• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue additives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've read about people using highlighter pens. They'd just drop the ink tube into the water for a few hours.

I'm not sure if this will make the water a nice blue or how long it will last, but it is supposed to show up nicely under uv lights.
Highlighter ink may not be so good for your system or tubing, though.

JoT said:
Anti-freeze, when diluted with water, creates a very pale and thin color.
Perhaps not the deepest prettiest blue out there, but mine isn't so bad.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=322171

greenman100 said:
squeaky, the performance aspect has been covered already

but read the post on particulate dye...

are wheels inside of ol' squeaky starting to slip?
Uh greenman, you might want to edit your post as the last line could be interpretted as a personal attack... I understand how frusterating it is to keep explaning that to people, but that's no excuse for attacking people.

teamgreen said:
I've read about people using highlighter pens. They'd just drop the ink tube into the water for a few hours.

I'm not sure if this will make the water a nice blue or how long it will last, but it is supposed to show up nicely under uv lights.
Highlighter ink may not be so good for your system or tubing, though.

Perhaps not the deepest prettiest blue out there, but mine isn't so bad.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=322171

Once again, he isn't looking for a UV reactive dye.

Uh greenman, you might want to edit your post as the last line could be interpretted as a personal attack... I understand how frusterating it is to keep explaning that to people, but that's no excuse for attacking people.

Don't worry about it.

In this instance, it seems to have been some friendly ribbing, and squeeky doesn't seem to have taken offense. Analyse the situation before you put a green cape on ;)

Edit: Blast you, Squeeky, beat me by seconds! :p

Cyrix_2k said:

squeaky and I talk outside the forums.

he knows it's a joke.

to all mods:

what I said was a joke

that is all

Is the UV die non conductive? IE safe to add to Fluid XP without ruining its non conductive properties? Im currently looking for a UV blue die that isnt conductive.

JT

Hmm, that Cupric Sulfate stuff looks very nice, but I'm not sure that I want to wear a gas mask just to put the stuff in my system :) Apparently it's toxic even to simply inhale it... I think antifreeze and blue dye would be a better solution, unless your not worried about getting poisoned from it. Not sure how it affects a water cooling system either. Overall I think that antifreeze is a much safer choice for you and your system :)

Ariste said:
Hmm, that Cupric Sulfate stuff looks very nice, but I'm not sure that I want to wear a gas mask just to put the stuff in my system :) Apparently it's toxic even to simply inhale it... I think antifreeze and blue dye would be a better solution, unless your not worried about getting poisoned from it. Not sure how it affects a water cooling system either. Overall I think that antifreeze is a much safer choice for you and your system :)

I'm not saying it's safe but I don't think there's an inhalation hazard. The stuff I found when I searched was in powder or crystaline form. You obviously wouldn't want to make a line of the stuff on a mirror and snort it.

well i went to the vw dealer today and picked up some blue antifreeze, i got to fix some docs printer tonight ($v$) but can mix whatever % you want and pix it to your hearts content, just let me know.

squeakygeek said:
You obviously wouldn't want to make a line of the stuff on a mirror and snort it.

Damn, why not? =P

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't be all that hazardous if you're careful. The question still remains though: how does it affect a water cooling system? I guess if it's safe for the system it might not be a bad idea.

Ariste said:
Damn, why not? =P

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't be all that hazardous if you're careful. The question still remains though: how does it affect a water cooling system? I guess if it's safe for the system it might not be a bad idea.

I handled it in college chemlab without gloves or a mask/filter, and we mixed it with all kinds of stuff, and boiled it.

(and we were supposed to do this)

Maybe it's just due to the blurry picture, but is the water in your setup cloudy, Lotec25? If so, is it because of the antifreeze?

Other than that, I'd have to agree, the system does look great :) Nice job.

greenman100 said:
I handled it in college chemlab without gloves or a mask/filter, and we mixed it with all kinds of stuff, and boiled it.

(and we were supposed to do this)
We used it in our highschool freshman chem class. It's pretty safe if you don't drink it.

::edit:: I believe anti-freeze is toxic as well....

Back