• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bluetooth to make ANY printer wireless?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

faustus

ahoy folk, first time poster, long time lurker here ;)

i had a question re making non-wireless printers wireless c/o a bluetooth dongle.

maybe this is just a lame first world woe, but i just LOATHE connecting my USB printer to my laptop. it also seems that the only USB port that i have free on my laptop is damaged, and i need to constantly pull out the USB cable, plug it in again, and hold it in a particular position with one hand, all the while clicking print with my other hand. oh! the trials of living in the first world! :p

anyways, after ordering a belkin bluetooth adapter to make my audio speakers wireless, this got me thinking: could i do the same with my old laser printer? it's quite adequate for the time being, so i'd prefer not to buy a new one. also, i'd prefer not to tell you which specific model i have (it's an HP laserjet), because i'm looking for a universal adapter that isn't limited to one particular brand.

so my q: using a USB type B male to type A female adapter (below), to which i plug in a bluetooth dongle, in theory could i cheaply make my printer wireless??

usb-type-b-male-to-a-female-connector-converter-adapter_ojazsh1340166980085.jpg

In theory, you would be right, but whether your printer could process the data, that is the big question.

Now you might be able to connect by Ethernet if your printer has the connection.

This is what I use. My printer sits about four feet from my router just because that's a convenient location for me, but with this, the only limitation is cable length. I can print from any computer on my network. There are also other solutions (one from Trendnet I think) which is basically the same thing as this, except instead of an ethernet cable, it connects to your home network wirelessly, so you can really put that printer anywhere you want with the only restriction being power outlet availability.

Being honest you should just stick with a wired connection for a printer, had to use a Epson wireless printer the other day and it took a good twenty minutes to print half an image!

Back