• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

boot screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phungilax

Alright i recently tried to install XP on my computer. HOwever, the install didn't work because my hard drive is corrupted, not a problem i'm getting a new one. Anyways, now when i boot i get a boot screen that gives me two options.

1. Boot windows ME
2. Install XP

i don't want this, i just wnat to boot right into XP. it comes up everytime too. is there a way i can get rid of this?

You don't have winme anymore?...anyways, here's how to do it the easy way:
- Right-Click my computer.
- Properties
- Advanced
- Under startup and Recovery click settings
- Make sure winXP is selected on your scroll down menu.
- Uncheck the first box "Time to display list of OS blah blah"
Click ok all the way, reboot and your done :)

it sounds like you had Me on your computer, and you tried to do an upgrade or an install from Me to XP, but the XP install didn't finish. So, your boot screen is asking you to boot up to Me (which is already there) or finish the XP install...

mighty mouse said:
it sounds like you had Me on your computer, and you tried to do an upgrade or an install from Me to XP, but the XP install didn't finish. So, your boot screen is asking you to boot up to Me (which is already there) or finish the XP install...

that is correct. but i don't want it to ask me. i just want it to boot into ME. XP won't install cause HD is corrupt

Try finding boot.ini and see what lines are added concerning XP, and see if there are any files added to C: that mention XP. Editing should get you where you need to be. Remember what you changed, just in case.

stool is on thr right path. check your boot.ini file, and delete the line that says windows xp installation, or you can change the boot time out number to 0 so it doesn't ask at all. i have a question, though. if you got winme on your hdd, why wouldn't xp go? are you sure it isn't your install disc, or maybe your ram? do you have 1 stick of 256, or 2 sticks of 128? if you have 2, try taking one out. unless you are aware of a hdd problem that i don't, then i am sorry for bringing this up.

I'm positive that its a hard drive problem. XP doesn't allow the installation because of a corrupt hard drive. Right now i have some bad sectors and a lot of system instability.

I can deal with the boot screen for a few more days while the hard drive is in the mail. however i would like to get rid if it if its easy.

thanks for the info. how do i get to boot.ini in dos?

It should be right off the c: root. most likely a hidden file. just type edit "c:\boot.ini" without the quotes. Should work just fine.

oops That should have read just type "Edit c:\boot.ini"

thansk for the help

i fixed the problem another way though. i just booted with a boot disk and did sys c:.

Back