• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Booting issues after a power outage (need assistance)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bernersick

Registered
To start of with, I did read the sticky "Help my computer wont boot" (in the general hardware section) and it seems like that is related to issues when first assembling/building a computer.

My new set up has:
Case: Antec 900 (V2)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (black)
Mobo: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 880G
RAM:Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2000 (PC 16000) (4 x 2GB)
GPU: HIS 6950 IceQ GDDR5 2GB
Storage:Crucial M4
PSU:Corsair modular HX750
Misc: ASUS cd/dvd drive, extra 120mm fans to fill case and Win-7 64bit, Samsung 42"

First time building it, it booted just fine with no problems, I've been using the set up for 2-3 months now. The breaker in the house overloaded and my computer was in sleep mode. When resetting the breaker, I checked all other electronics (including an almost exact computer set up that was off) in my basement (that turned on just fine).

But when turning on my computer in my bedroom, it doesn't boot, no beeps and TV says signal not found.

So far, I've moved the tower downstairs to see if plugging it in a monitor that uses a DVI connecter would change anything, and I turned off the "core unlocker" and "turbo unlocker" (asus mobo features).

I'm concerned/paranoid that the computer fried when the house surged.. I have not done CMOS reset (yet). What could be the issue? What parts are best to start swapping out (as I mentioned, I have an almost replica tower)? Does my computer being in sleep mode while the power surge happened have any relevance?

Thanks in advance guys
-B

Also, another questions, I see the "MEMOK" button on the mobo and from reading the manual, it seems like that is for when checking compatible memory. Regardless, I held the button down and the tower powered up but still no booting.

Just black screen saying no signal.

Well today I had a problem with booting to where it wouldn't even come up to the motherboard splash screen. I reset the CMOS and it booted just fine. If you have a lot of personal settings in your BIOS you don't want to lose, wait for some more reply's. But if not, why not give it a shot? It couldn't hurt.

Well today I had a problem with booting to where it wouldn't even come up to the motherboard splash screen. I reset the CMOS and it booted just fine. If you have a lot of personal settings in your BIOS you don't want to lose, wait for some more reply's. But if not, why not give it a shot? It couldn't hurt.

All bios settings could be redone in a few moments. But yes I am not even seeing that mobo "splash screen". Iattempted to reset CMOS right after I posted the thread and I checked my manual to find out how to reset CMOS but there's nothing in there. Only thing I see "sort of related" is changing a pin configuration to reset RTC Ram...

Thanks for the input Jake

No problem. I have an MSI 785GM-E51 and to reset my CMOS there is a jumper I move from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3 for 5 seconds and it clears it. On some motherboards there is also a CMOS clear button. In the manual, look in the contents for "Jumpers" or something. That's what mine was under.

Before you do it, power down, unplug the computer, and press the power button to rid of the left over power. I'm sure you might have known this already, but I don't want to be that one guy who leaves out that one critical detail haha

No problem. I have an MSI 785GM-E51 and to reset my CMOS there is a jumper I move from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3 for 5 seconds and it clears it. On some motherboards there is also a CMOS clear button. In the manual, look in the contents for "Jumpers" or something. That's what mine was under.

Before you do it, power down, unplug the computer, and press the power button to rid of the left over power. I'm sure you might have known this already, but I don't want to be that one guy who leaves out that one critical detail haha

Nope, didn't know that. Thanks for being very clear. I will check my manual when I get back to the house for this info.

Thanks Jake

So I wanted to do a follow up on this. After I reset CMOS (RTC Ram in ASUS manual), it didnt work by just moving the pin configuration.

I unplugged my video card, RAM, turned off the turbo unlocked switch and overclockinbg switch and then took out the battery on the mobo while it was in the reset configuration. Put it all back together and it booted..

Does anyone have a reason while this would occur after a power outage to a computer that was in sleep mode?

So I wanted to do a follow up on this. After I reset CMOS (RTC Ram in ASUS manual), it didnt work by just moving the pin configuration.

I unplugged my video card, RAM, turned off the turbo unlocked switch and overclockinbg switch and then took out the battery on the mobo while it was in the reset configuration. Put it all back together and it booted..

Does anyone have a reason while this would occur after a power outage to a computer that was in sleep mode?

Giorgio.jpg

ALIENS

Last edited:
More info on next page of manual.

When you look at the next page of the mobo manual.

Attachments

• 1RTC Ram.jpg
    1RTC Ram.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 338
Back