• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought a laptop yesterday for $1130. Did I get a good deal? (specs listed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegreatgate

Sony Vaio F Series VPCF126FM; $1130 + tax (usually $1350). I haven't had a modern laptop in over 10 years so I am blown away by the speed. I am a desktop person but wanted to add a laptop to my collection. Is this an ok machine? Would you modify it or upgrade it in anyway (I bought a screen protector that is in route but that's it so far)?

Here are the details:

Watch stunning, high-definition movies on the go with this laptop that features a Blu-ray-enabled DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support, a 16.4" display and Intel® High Definition audio with Dolby Home Theater.

What's Included

* Sony VAIO Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 16.4" Display / 6GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive
* Lithium-ion battery
* AC adapter, power cord
* Software: Sony Creativity Suite PMB VAIO Edition; VAIO Media Gallery; Microsoft Office 2010 Starter

Product Features

* Intel® Core™ i7-740QM processor
Features a 6MB L3 cache and 1.73GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz.
* Intel® Core™ i7 processor
Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't.
* 6GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
* Blu-ray Disc-enabled DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
Features full read support for next-generation Blu-ray Disc (BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE). Double-layer support using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
* 16.4" widescreen display
With 1600 x 900 resolution delivers intense detail and clarity.
* 640GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Offers fast read/write times.
* NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Features up to 1GB of dedicated video memory. Intel® High Definition audio with Dolby Home Theater delivers a lush soundscape. HDMI output for flexible connectivity options.
* Built-in MOTION EYE webcam with microphone and face-tracking technology
Makes it easy to chat with and send video mail to family and friends.
* Multimedia card reader
Supports Memory Stick PRO and Memory Stick Duo formats with MagicGate functionality. Also features a Secure Digital media card slot.
* i.LINK (IEEE 1394) port and 2 USB ports
For digital data transfer and mobile digital imaging capabilities. One eSATA/USB combo port.
* Built-in Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n)
Connect to the Internet on the go.
* Built-in Bluetooth A2DP (2.1 + EDR) interface
Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
* Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T Fast Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for a wired Web connection.
* Weighs 6.4 lbs. and measures just 1.6" thin
For portable power.
* Good battery life
Of up to 3 hours.
* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
* Best Buy Software Installer
Personalize your PC! Discover and install just the software and services you want. Learn more.
* Software package included
With Sony Creativity Suite PMB VAIO Edition and VAIO Media Gallery. Microsoft Office 2010 Starter also included (product key card required for activation; sold separately).
* ENERGY STAR qualified
Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.
* Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Did I do good for the price?

The deal is ok but you probably could have gotten better. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114904 This laptop seems to be a little more but has a bigger screen and a better video card. Upgrade wise, all you could do is put an ssd and more RAM. Unless if you are gaming, and doing some serious rendering you will be fine. If you went the desktop route you really could have gotten a kick *** system.

Looks good. i7, and 3 hours of battery life. THat's not too bad.

The rest is averageish for laptops. A bit better, but nothing hard core. I wouldn't expect it to run Crysis at max at full HD res.

I guess perspective is everything. 3 years from now this laptop won't sell for more than $200 on eBay/Craigslist.

But if I could rewind the clock 3 or 4 years back and list the specs back in 2006-07 you guys would be blown away by the specs, right? I think they just came out with Blu-Ray back in '06...Time flies!

Looks like a decent spec to me. I recently bought a Lenovo W510 with a 720QM, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Quadro FX880M and I'm very happy with how smooth and responsive it is.

I've been playing games with no issues, including Unreal Tournament 3, Borderlands, Dawn of War 2, etc. My Quadro FX880M is very similar to the GT330M.

Looks like a decent spec to me. I recently bought a Lenovo W510 with a 720QM, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Quadro FX880M and I'm very happy with how smooth and responsive it is.

I've been playing games with no issues, including Unreal Tournament 3, Borderlands, Dawn of War 2, etc. My Quadro FX880M is very similar to the GT330M.

Hey David, how much did that end up costing you for your new Lenovo? Are there coupons/discounts I should be looking out for, I've been eyeballing up around the same thing. Glad to hear it's treating you well though.

To the OP: I think all that really matters is if you are happy with it, I think you got a pretty nice spec'd laptop that will be able to suite all your needs with flying colors.

Hey David, how much did that end up costing you for your new Lenovo? Are there coupons/discounts I should be looking out for, I've been eyeballing up around the same thing. Glad to hear it's treating you well though.

To the OP: I think all that really matters is if you are happy with it, I think you got a pretty nice spec'd laptop that will be able to suite all your needs with flying colors.

There are occasionally coupons floating about for ca. 5% off the UK site, but I don't know about the US site.

Mine costs about £1300 ($2k) so they aren't cheap. It's built pretty solidly, runs lovely and smooth, games well, and still gets ~3.5 hours on the - 9 cell - battery.

i have the vpcf115fm i payed $1400 and another $600 putting a good ssd and ram into it.it came with the same specs as yours its a great laptop and games very well.i would defiantly get yourself an SSD into it tho,it will make it tons faster,quieter(silent) cooler and longer battery life. btw they over estimate the batter life 3 hours is pushing it they get more like 2 and thats with a SSD.and i would also pull the two gig stick of ram and put in another 4 gig stick so it can run duel channel.but yes you got a good deal=))

Back