• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bought an old netbook..which os to upgrade to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glockjs

bought a dell mini 1010 netbook today and i would like to upgrade. looks like its has a single core 1.6ghz atom z530 and a gig of ram. question is which is lighter? win 7 32bit or win 8.1 32bit?

i don't trust xp at all :/ any input is welcome. thanks!

Never ran 8.1 on an old machine, however it feels slightly lighter in my day to day use.
XP is a great OS you should give it a try if you haven't experienced it yet.
For a little workstation like browsing, emails, office maybe a Ubuntu distribution could be interesting for you as well.

Best way would be to take some time and make use of the 30 day test periods MS is offering on the OSs. Wouldn't expect too much of a difference between 8.1 and 7 in terms of light weight though.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with XP... that's my recommendation if you have a key for it. Otherwise, I'd go with a lightweight linux distro.

Personally, I've run Windows 7 on a system with 2gb of RAM and it was mostly fine. I wouldn't pay for a key to run a new OS on a system with only 1gb of RAM. If you don't have a key lying around, I'd use linux. Get another gig of RAM, and then maybe upgrade to 8.1.

With those specs, I'd probably give lubuntu a go. It's a lightweight version of Unbuntu using LXDE, so the system requirements are very low.

However, 1GB is the minimum RAM requirement for both Win7 and Win8, and you're above the CPU speeds minimum requirement (there's not a minimum core count requirement listed). So, you should be able to run those OSes, but when you start running current applications, your RAM could run out quick...

Look for threads of W8/W8.1 on your netbook.
I have an HP CQ60-220US. No sound drivers available (HP has none, W8 not compatible).
Other minor glitzes a pain to resolve.
Used a USB sound out, worked on W8, does not work on W8.1 (yet?)
W7 may be less trouble.

thanks for the feedback. looks like i might give lubuntu or xubuntu a go first. if it doesn't work for me ill go 8.1. xp isn't secure enough for what i need :/ thanks again.

Back