• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand New Build BSOD on log in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigpappa1983

Hello all, I am having a little trouble with my new build. First off here is what I am running. Asus z87 plus, i7 4770k, 16gb ram, 256gb Seagate SSD, 3tb HDD, Bluray Burner, GTX 780, h100i......

As of right now neither the GPU or the water cooler are hooked up, im on the stock cooler and on board graphics while I was working out the bugs.

I got the system to post and BIOS came up so I went ahead and popped my windows 7 disc in and restarted. Windows seemed to install quite fine. I had no internet yet so I did not do any windows updates quite yet. After windows was successfully installed I put in the disc that came with my motherboard and ran it to install everything but the junk(Google chrome, Norton junk). After that finished installing the system rebooted and when it came to the log in screen I no longer had mouse or keyboard control and I would BSOD about 10 seconds after the log in screen appears.

That is where I am at now. I can get into BIOS. I cannot boot into safe mode. I am almost thinking I need to just reinstall windows to get the BSOD to stop at least then hook up to the internet to update everything?

On another side issue. The DVI link doesn't seem to work on the motherboard. The monitor I got for the new system: http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/27-monitors/products/tempest-x270oc-glossy

anyways when i first put everything together and powered up I wasn't getting anything on the monitor. I know the monitor powers up and works. So i grabbed my old dusty 15 inch monitor with a VGA connection to try and it works. I was thinking maybe the monitor NEEDS to be hooked into a GPU and not onboard for it to work? Is this a common thing for the DVI not to work but the VGA does for new builds until I get it all updated?

Thank you very much for any input.

Update.....Ok so I read that using the general installer for the drivers is a bad idea and I should install the mobo drives manually one at a time with a reboot after each? So im guessing the best thing to do is boot from my windows cd and re install windows. Then install drivers one at a time. Now once I find the driver that screwed it up and I end up BSODing what do you do? Currently I cannot get into safe mode and wouldn't know how to fix the issue once I know what specific driver caused it.

I'd put the GPU in there before even installing Win7, and not use the onboard for starters, personally.

I'd reinstall WIN7 then, do the updates, and create a restore point after reinstalling each MOBO one at a time if it's still acting froggy.

Would increase the chances of everything playing happy together, lately I usually made sure my WIN7 drivers were up to date as there are so many these days for it before I even put the Mobo ones on it.

A lot of my MOBO drivers are really old on this board and were only a couple I even used after putting the XEON in it and WIN 8.1 recently, like my LAN and INTEL ones. A lot of them I don't used like the SAS drivers and a few things, not even using my on board sound this thing so didn't do those either.

This one when I switched to WIN 8.1, and stuck WIN7 on that HTPC pretty much didn't take much updating, but I did that on the HTPC when I put WIN7 on it at any rate and it went smoothly.

Last edited:
Much appreciated everything seems to be firing up appropriately and smooth. Only problem left is I'm not seeing my HDD I'm windows. I have windows on my SSD and but was going to put everything except a few demeaning programs/games on it and the rest on the HDD I have. I see the HDD when I f8 on start up and I can find it in the bios but it's not shaking up sink can save stuff to it. I still have some updates and drivers to install so I'm hoping it might solve its self, if not I'll be back. Thank you again.

If the HDD is new, then you'll need to initialize it via the Disk Management snap-in in Win7. Since the disk is >2TB in size, you'll need to use the GPT partitioning scheme in order for Windows to support the full capacity...

Windows support for hard disks that are larger than 2 TB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581408

... and scroll down to How to initialize a data disk by using GPT

Yup! Found that out shortly after posting. Thanks for the detailed response though!

However I am now back to my old issue! I am getting BSOD before I can log into windows normal or safe mode. I have a system restore point from just before that driver but I have no clue how to launch a system restore if I can't log in before blue death.

Decided since it is brand new I just did a clean reinstall again. I tried to make a windows repair disk off my other PC running windows 7 as well hit it just said it wasn't compatible with my version. So now I am going to do a clean install update and install all the drivers except that ******* one. I'm also going to try and make a system restore disk from this PC just Incase. But I would still like to know if there was something else i could have done?

First off thank you for all the help everyone! I haven't built a system in 10 years so its been a bit wobbly but I am learning a lot.

Anyways now I am back to right before getting the BSODS, it was from the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver. I was reading that it has to do something with eh AHCI settings in BIOS or something like that? I am pretty ignorant about this stuff, but take direction well lol. I found this script "Reset-SATA-Hard-Disk-Mode-in-Registry", the site had a step by step version of how to do the edit manually, but i figured if he did a script it would be less chance of me screwing it up.

Does this sound about right? as far as the BSOD issue it was causing and is this a fix that I have found? Wanted to ask before doing anything further? I really don't want to reinstall windows again, and will just ignore that driver if that is the best case.

I also see that there is a Intel AHCI/RAID driver path on the ASUS software disk, perhaps that has to be installed prior to the IRST driver?

Back