• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bring me up to speed on current day overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

I have been out of the active overclocking game for a while now since I decided that my computer does not need an upgrade every 3 months.

Current specs in my sig are still pretty much accurate and I've been gaming on my GTX260 for quite some time now. Whilst it is a pretty decent card and still manages to play many of today's current games on medium/high settings, it is starting to show its limits (especially when NOT overclocked, although I do keep it at max stable OC almost all the time).

Currently thinking about either going for the AMD R9 270x or the HD7870(cheaper by 30 euro's). The 7950 is sold out everywhere and about 70 euro's more expensive than a HD7870 on the 2nd hand market.

Now from back in my days of overclocking, finding a max stable clock is what you did by pushing the hardware, testing stability and repeating that process until max clocks were found.

Voltmods were done either by means of a pencil mod, hard mod or softmod(if even possible) through a BIOS reflash (losing warranty in the process though).

My experience with current day overclocking programs such as MSI Afterburner and the likes is that you cannot go over a specific "safe" overclocking range and that range is determined by MSI (and in the case of my laptop set way too low). Appearantly you can also adjust the voltage on the fly but it would require "special" models of a card?

How is overclocking currently achieved? Still by some "locked" safe maximum setting?

Will be buying the card in 1,5 months and would like to be up to speed by that time to make an informed decision. I don't want a card that can barely go past stock clocks and is regulated with too many restrictions. They already started that trend way back with the intel 2xxx and 2xxxK processors and I would like to know if that stuff has caught on to video cards as well.

Overclocking in my experience has recently gone toward a "turbo mode" method that dynamically overclocks components based on load, temperature, and TDP. Manual overclocking, using static values for clock rate and voltage, seems to be less efficient in that more heat is generated at idle and under light loads, causing heat soak and preventing higher burst speeds when they are actually useful. So first maximize cooling, then raise voltages and set a higher turbo clock if you have the option. That option depends entirely on the software you have at your disposal.

Overclocking in my experience has recently gone toward a "turbo mode" method that dynamically overclocks components based on load, temperature, and TDP. Manual overclocking, using static values for clock rate and voltage, seems to be less efficient in that more heat is generated at idle and under light loads, causing heat soak and preventing higher burst speeds when they are actually useful. So first maximize cooling, then raise voltages and set a higher turbo clock if you have the option. That option depends entirely on the software you have at your disposal.

Is it possible to adjust the boost frequency? For me it makes no sense to downclock a card during a game but then again, I have no experience with these cards.

Older cards had profiles (voltage and clock) for 2D, light 3D load and full 3D (games), I'm guessing this is similar?

I will be going for the card with the best stock cooler, since I just can't justify it anymore to spend $35 on a 3rd party cooler anymore (and with the GTX260 I didn't even have to due to a pretty good reference cooler).

Sandybridge and Ivybridge overclocking guide, as well as Haswell overclocking guide (modern Intel CPUs)... they are there...

Sandybridge and Ivybridge overclocking guide, as well as Haswell overclocking guide (modern Intel CPUs)... they are there...

Haha, now I get it. It's not the processors I have difficulty overclocking with (in fact, the 2500K is by far the easiest processor I've OC'd), just wanted to know how that stuff with current day "turbo" and voltage mods is done on video cards, and if it's worth getting the R9 270X model over the R9 270 :D

If you have a 2500k @ 4.7ghz then your cpu is still quite good for gaming , So as you may have already guessed Video card Would probably be your only good bet for upgrades atm that are worth while. also adding a SSD is nice if you don't already have one even a caching 64gb ssd works wonders.

I hear you on the 260 core 216 getting a bit long in the tooth now But you may want to go for something a little meatier if your upgrading from a card released in 2008 to now and I'm speaking purely for longevity reasons here.

The AMD pricing currently is quite out to lunch so to speak and If it was me i wouldn't really look towards the 7870/270x cards as to be fair they are last gen and were mid range last gen and now they are low range cards imho.

And the 280/290's pricing is so far gone cant really recommend AMD atm and that sucks because usually its best price per dollar around.

The pricing on the 770's atm are pretty good / great re branded and slightly improved 680's @ 320-340$ on newegg Gigabyte Windforce 3 Zotac ZT series to name a few good deals their id go that route over a 270x or 7870 any day of the week.

Their is even some Great deals on the GTX 780 at the moment Priced at around or below 500$ Here

And to be fair i usually recommend AMD but as the pricing is right now its really out of whack and i think your mileage would fair better with the above recommended cards for sure.

That said overclocking is easy just use MSI -afterburner and move your clock speed and voltage up until it artifacts or fails or stops scaleing. set a fan profile and if you scale to the end with headroom to spare you can unofficial mode afterburner or offset the voltage limits on its startup.

Back