• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broadband bridging question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supraway

Yesterday, a friend brought over an unused cablemodem. I have cable service, and am already hooked up through one cablemodem. We had a 6 person lan going, and it was eating my measly 15k of upload, so we decided to see if we could get both cablemodems online. Well it turns out it worked, so we put half of the people on one cablemodem, and the other half on the other. Today, all those computers are gone, but I still have the extra cablemodem. Is there a way I can successfully use the bandwidth from both cablemodems on one computer? I.E. bridging of some kind?

I dont see how it would make any difference. If your upload is 15k well thats all you have. Just plugging in more cable modems won't do anything. And besides when you bridge connections they are two different connections to two different circuts. Not what you are trying to do, there would be no prefomace benifit out of it.

Sence he had 2 modems hooked up, running on 2 diff IP's
His isp might of thought of him as 2 diff uses and accually givin him more bandwidth....
just a thought
My isp only gives me 1 ip tho =(

*edit*

After a bit more research spawned by Nuclear Monkeys reply I find that the bridge CANNOT be used by Cablemodems. (check XP help from start menu).

Apparently the Bridge only applies to peer to peer networking.

Last edited:
This has been asked many times and I believe the answer is "no, not without some very expensive load-balancing hardware". The "bridge connection" feature in windowsXP is not what you are looking for a believe, it will do nothing other than route all traffic from one cable modem to the other

We tested, and we have double the download, double the upload. I decided to stop doing it, because I'm not sure of the legality of doing this. I run Linux, and I believe there is some load balancing there, but I'm guessing I would have to have 3 network cards in that computer to do the bridging of bandwidht.

Back