• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broken W10/Gigabyte Z87X-OC BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BroncosXR8

Registered
G'day OC'ers,

It's been quite a while since I last posted here - probably when I built my PC back in '13.

Anyhoo,

I have:

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Motherboard (running F8 BIOS)
Intel i5-4670K @4.0 (with NZXT AIO)
8GB RAM, G-Skill F31600C9D-8GBAO
Gigabyte AORUS RTX-2080 AIO (yes the rest of my system needs upgrading to match haha)
Corsair AX760
Samsung Evo 1TB (Windows 10 Installed)
Samsung Pro 256GB
WD 1TB
WD 2TB

So my issue started Friday when I updated iTunes and was prompted to restart (it now says its at 12.9.3.3 which I'm pretty sure is the latest version) and upon restart my display was blank. Nothing not even the Gigabyte logo at POST.

After a few hard reboots no difference, still a blank black screen. I checked all my connections from display to IO's and even disconnected my HTC Vive just in case it was playing silly buggers.

The MB is/was showing A6 (Detect and Install all currently connected SCSI devices). I can't remember exactly what I did, possibly playing around with the MB onboard buttons (Direct To BIOS maybe) but I got it into the BIOS at some point, however my Keyboard and Mouse wouldn't work and weren't powered up.
After many restarts and unplugging different devices, such as ALL the HDD's and GPU and then plugging them all back in I managed to get it to boot and it went to Windows Repair.

I'm now stuck in a Windows Repair loop where none of the options work, not even Reset this PC (both options). I turned off Windows Repair by CMD and now I just get a blue error screen saying that windows needs repairing. At this point I can't get any further on the Primary BIOS.
Since my MB has a Secondary BIOS I decided to try that - even though it SEEMS to be a Windows issue right? Wrong. Secondary BIOS boots with no issues whatsover, I'm into windows and operating with no issues (I'm typing this on it now).

I've tried going back to the Primary BIOS with the same Windows Repair Error. It is also impossible to boot into the BIOS when using the Primary BIOS, although I can using the Secondary.
I flashed the Main BIOS up to the lates F9c (Beta) BIOS with no difference to outcome.

This has me confused, is it a Windows Error or is it a Main BIOS error?

Almost sounds like your Primary BIOS is trashed, I have had some luck recovering them by flashing back to an old (one that shipped with the board) and then bring them back to a current release.

Back