• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD on start up with new memory installed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdisandro

Hello. On one of my older boxes, I am having difficulty getting new memory to work. It had 2x2GB of PC1600 memory (8-8-8-24 1.6V) running at 1333. It has been about 4 years and one of the sticks went bad. It may have been bad for a while. I discovered the problem when I couldn't install Win 7 to a new hard drive (ran MemTest and found one stick with many many errors but other stick 100% OK). Took out bad stick and Win7 installed without a hitch. Things running fine for a couple of weeks, but had only 2GB of memory, so purchased new sticks with intention of bringing up to 8GB or even 16GB.

Purchased Kingston HyperX KHX16C9B1BK2/8 (PC1600, 9-9-9-27, 1.65V). With 1 stick installed, I can get to BIOS setup, but when Windows starts to load, there is a flash of BSOD before the computer shuts down. With 2 sticks installed, I can't even get to BIOS setup. It hangs right before going into setup (goes through POST routine and says "entering setup", but then hangs).

With 1 stick in, I tried fiddling with the BIOS settings. But not sure what I can safely change. Tried XMP off and on, setting timing from 9-9-9-27 to 8-8-8-24, changed to/from 1333 and 1600, can't change voltage on this MOBO (or at least can't see how since it is on "Auto" and grayed out).

I reset CMOS, but no change. I purchased another set of memory to test (http://www.frys.com/product/6350471?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG), but same problem.

When I put the old single 2GB stick back in, everything works fine, it is just with new sticks (tried 2 different brands/speed).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, thought my system would show up as signature:

MOBO: MSI P55M-GD41
HD: 1TB WD
HD2: 320GB WD
CPU: i5-661 (LGA1156)
Video: Gigabyte GeForce GTX650

I have to ask if you cleared the CMOS before you installed the new ram??

Yes. I just did it again before trying the other set of sticks I just bought to test with.

try setting the voltage to manual and put in 1.65 it might be setting it too low.

I noticed that the settings defaulted to 1.5 so I changed it to 1.65 (it "rounded" to 1.651). But when I booted up, same problem. That is, a quick flash of the BSOD just as windows was starting to load. Then it restarted. Thanks for the suggestion, but no go. :(

Which memory speed did you select, your CPU only supports 1333 ram, so try again and set it to 1333 with the spd timings.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the speed was already set to 1333. Other settings are:

Timing: 9-9-9-27
XMP: Disabled
QPI Frequency: 6400Mhz
DRAM Voltage: 1.651V

I am at a total loss on this one........

Just getting back home from errands. I will try moving to different slots and get back.

Actually, just received a note from a Kingston technician and they are saying that my old MOBO will not support the single rank/higher density of the newer DRAM chips. So now I am thinking maybe it is time to upgrade the board and processor. Or maybe I can find used/old memory that will work........

Back