• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD with G.Skill memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crusher112

I recently bought myself an upgrade, a z77x-d3h,2500k and 8gb of F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL G.Skill memory.

I've been having some BSOD's ever since, they happen a few times a week and usually happen while having just alt-tabbed out of an application or while watching a stream.
I've done memtest and checked my HDD, but neither have given me any errors.

I didn't actually check if these memory sticks were supported by the motherboard, but figured they would be out of common sense.
So today I checked the the "Memory Support List" on Gigabyte's website for the D3H and there was no "F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL", "F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL" and "F3-12800CL9D-16GBXL" however were supported.
Could this really be the reason behind my BSOD's?

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z77x-d3h.pdf link to D3H supported memory list

Try running memtest86 maybe a stick (or both) could be bad.

Have you gone into the BIOS and manually set the rated speed and timings?

Yes, passed both sticks separately a few times and have set correct timings in BIOS.

They should have a XMP profile where it automatically sets the proper timings, you should double check the voltage though.

G.Skill PC12800 RAM: made from PC10666 chips

Samsung and no-heatsink Crucial PC12800 RAM: made from PC12800 chips that gave zero errors during testing

I've gotten loads of different errors, but PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES is the most common.

Hmm....IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a more common memory error. You mentioned the sticks had passed individually, how about as a pair? Have you overclocked the CPU at all?

These would be what errors would come up at the bottom of the BSOD.. http://www.overclock.net/a/common-bsod-error-code-list-for-overclocking

These are shortened but for examply the first one 0x101 would show up on the BSOD as 0x00000000000101

Have you ran memtest for both of these stick sat once?? how many passes did you do?
Also, was memtest ran before or after you set the timings and voltage etc??
Have you done any overclocking at all?

Although it may not be the same issue, I had some issues with my GSkills with screen tearing and lockups. I read around the web and found some commentary related to the voltage. I up-tweeked mine a couple of ticks and the issue has gone away. Just my experience.

G.Skill PC12800 RAM: made from PC10666 chips

Samsung and no-heatsink Crucial PC12800 RAM: made from PC12800 chips that gave zero errors during testing

I agree with this. I have the same ram sticks only I bought a 16gb kit. At least one stick is very bad and is coming up with severe errors, another might be bad too because it was causing me to freeze. I am currently running only two sticks in my quad channel board.

Take a look at this thread here on the g-skill forums that I made:

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=11323

At least three other people are having the exact same problems.

Raising the raise the DRAM timing tRFC to 156 might fix the BSOD (it did for me) but I still got freezing issues. Check page 3 to see all the errors I got testing one of the sticks.

In the second thread linked in my g-skill thread, the guy rma'ed it and got back an even worse kit. I really don't think this ram should be advertised as 1600mhz. I for one am a bit pissed at g-skill about this ram. Hopefully the RMA goes well because I am on the verge of buying a Corsair kit just to get a stable system.

Some advice: My errors didn't show up till I tested each stick individually, so that's what you might need to do.

Back