• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot success 50%, new AMD build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

charpour

Hi all,

I’m having some serious problems getting my memory to work at the advertised speed in my new setup and thus wanted to get your opinion. But first the relevant hardware components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x (not overclocked)
Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master (F6 firmware)
RAM: G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ — https://www.gskill.com/product/165/...DDR4-3200MHz-CL14-14-14-34-1.35V64GB-(4x16GB)

Problem description:
Whenever I populate all 4 memory slots on the motherboard and attempt to enable XMP (or set the relevant timings to achieve 3200 Mhz manually) I get something like 50% success of booting the system. When it boots, it runs perfectly fine, I can stress test it and there are no issues. However, when it doesn’t I get a red light on the VGA on my motherboard (for some reason) and it stays there indefinitely.

If I remove the 2 slots, everything works perfectly fine, I get 3200 Mhz and boot success is 100%. However, before buying this memory I checked the QVL of both the memory and motherboard site (https://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-aorus-master_matisse_190812.pdf) where it’s stated that there is 4 memory slot support and XMP can be enabled. Thus, I’m very confused on why it would work half of the time I power on my PC. If this setup with the 4 DIMMs wasn’t supported, would it be able to even boot a single time?

My question to you, smart people, is whether you have some suggestion on whether this could be a CPU limitation, motherboard limitation, memory issue or a combination of all of the above. My impression would be that since the system can actually boot up sometimes, the problem could potentially be fixed with some firmware update in the future ?

Many thanks for your time and help!

I have a similar issue on my x570 Aorus Elite, XMP and CPU voltage on auto don't mix for some reason, causes boot looping and it stops posting until I reset the BIOS. I'm guessing we need some more TLC :p Have you tried swapping the RAM sticks around to see if any is borked ?

Out of the box Ryzen supports 2x 8GB sticks at 3200 MHz. Once you start adding sticks and capacity that level of support drops. Here's a chart from AMD

ryzen mem.JPG

The first thing I would try is upping the DRAM voltage a bit try 1.375 V- 1.4 V also look for a setting called DDR boot voltage or something similar and set it the same

I had ram problems on an older system (not Ryzen) where the ram voltage was less than what was set in the BIOS, it was set for 1.5V but was reading at 1.46V. You would think that small of a change would not make that much of a difference , but after I bumped the ram voltage by .05V to 1.51V, no more problems.
Go with what Johan45 said about bumping the voltage up a bit.

Back