• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget board for i5-3570K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boswbr25

Hi all,

I am new to the Overclockers forum and really the overclocking world in general. I will be putting together my new computer shortly after Xmas because I am getting the i5-3570K for Xmas. I am kind of on a budget so I am wondering if anyone can suggest a decent motherboard that won't break my bank.

I am getting the "K" series so I definitely want something that has the ability to overclock, preferably z75/z77 from what I have read but I would be open to z68 too if you guys think it isn't too big of a loss.

I am wondering if the performance gain of the boards in the $120 range (such as MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77) is worth it over those in the $80-90 range (i.e.- MSI Z77A-G41 LGA 1155 Intel Z77). Those were just a couple examples I saw on Newegg.

Thanks for any help,
Boz

:welcome: Welcome!
This one. Asrock Z77 Extreme 3

Also, to address your question, yes the boards in the $80 range will work, but overclocking on them might not work out so well in the long run. A lot of times they cut corners to get the prices so low which usually means no heatsinks on vital parts, etc. So it is worth it to spend a little extra, and get a board that can handle it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies. A couple of follow up questions that maybe you could answer.

I noticed that the Asrock Z77 Pro3 does not list the "Intel K-Series unlocked CPU" in the "Supported Technologies" section on Newegg as the Asrock Z77 Extreme 3 does.

Do you guys know if this really means anything? I thought all Z77 chipset motherboards supported overclocking so I do not understand what else K-series support could mean.

Also, this may be a noob/dumb question but do these boards have "Secure Boot"? Or is that only something that you find on boards of prebuilt computers with Windows 8 preinstalled?

I like to play around on Linux as well as game on Windows so I want to make sure I get a board that does not require a Microsoft key. I haven't ever been able to find anything in the Newegg descriptions telling me whether or not this "feature" is enabled on boards and I wasn't sure if that is because none of them have it or if I am missing something.

Thanks again,
Boz

Yeah, I think I will probably have to spend the few extra bucks then. I have the money but am trying to not overspend for things that I really don't need as an average level gamer just converting to PC games from console. I just enjoy tinkering too much to short myself out of features that I may want to use over $10-20.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I think I will probably have to spend the few extra bucks then. I have the money but am trying to not overspend for things that I really don't need as an average level gamer just converting to PC games from console. I just enjoy tinkering too much to short myself out of features that I may want to use over $10-20.

Thanks for the help!

You got the right PC gamer attitude. Don't skimp on mobos if you want an i5/i7 xxxK CPU. You buy the 'K' CPU because you want to overclock it to the max with the right mobo. If you don't care about overclocking than that $99 mobo will do just fine.:drool:

If your not going to extreme overclocking then you can use a $109 dollar rig like mine, I only overclocked to 5.0Ghz and ivy bridge uses less power than my sandy bridge.

I would get the ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Warranty 3 years.

Digi Power Design, 8 + 3 Power Phase Design

Last edited:
Back