• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget core upgrade build for father

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
So my father is still on a hand me down FX-8300 CPU, and its stability is questionable. He's finally on an NVMe drive thankfully, and 32GB of DDR3. Even my old Sandy Bridge is more rig than his, by a little bit.

I want to get him a new mainboard, CPU and DDR4 memory for a core upgrade. He doesn't need a ton of horsepower, but being an engineer he runs many professional programs and web tabs simultaneously. I'm thinking something like an AMD 3600 or 5600 based system. Or an Intel 6-8 core based CPU. He has a tendency to pick budget motherboards while expecting workstation reliability, so I'd like a midrange board. He also thinks $750 is too much. If I can get it closer to $500 he might be more easily persuaded.

I would choose the 5xxx over the 3xxx series, they seem to be quite a bit faster in blender type apps. They do need some cooling upgrade over the 3xxx series it seems to me. I have the R7 5700g APU and am pretty impressed by it

I'd hunt for better ram probably,
Why? Is Dad going to be able to notice the difference between a lower CL or faster RAM? Save your money and get sweetspot RAM for systems like this. :)

Not really, but it doesn't hurt to shop around for the best speed/timings for the buck. I'd probably lower it to 3200MHz and snug up the timings as well since that's that the AMD chips are spec'ed for.

You could definitely go slower and save some cash too. I wouldn't go below 3200 CL16. :)

Back