• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

driveon

Hi guys, I need your help on my first gaming build
I've been reading tons of reviews and stuff but I'm still wondering if these parts are compatible

CPU = i5 4440
MoBo = ASRock H87M / MSI H87-G43 Gaming
Memory = Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 4GBx2
GPU = MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti TF OC 2GB
PSU = Corsair CX500M
HDD = WD Caviar Blue 7200RPM 500GB
Case = Corsair Carbide 200R
CPU cooler = Cooler Master Hyper 212X
Thermal compound = Noctua NT-H1

I'm a lil' tight on budget, so I cannot afford an i7 4770k or SSD :(

Pros, cons, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated :D :salute:

If you are not overclocking, which with the CPU and board you are not, save money on the cooler and paste. Possibly upgrade the GPU a hair with the $30?

Looks solid to me.

What's the budget though?

In usd I think it's around $750-800

If you are not overclocking, which with the CPU and board you are not, save money on the cooler and paste. Possibly upgrade the GPU a hair with the $30?

Umm. I already bought the cooler and paste, though

Is it possible to just OC the gpu safely with these parts?

Is the MSI GTX 760 worth the upgrade? It's out of my budget, though

Last edited:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Rkcm

Here you go, that gets you to a 760. The GPU is much more important for gaming :thup:

The first officer concurs

1135459-trek2620.jpg

An AMD rig for an AMD budget. With a 760 you'll be a very happy gamer.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Rkcm

Here you go, that gets you to a 760. The GPU is much more important for gaming :thup:

Hmm. But I'm kind of intel biased. And I've read that Intel performed better and more power efficient. I can spend a bit for that. So I guess I better just play dota2 and LoL for now with intel graphics, and save up for the card later on. What do you think?

Is the msi h87 gaming worth it? Or should I save up and get the ASRock H87M?

Last edited:
Hmm. But I'm kind of intel biased. And I've read that Intel performed better and more power efficient. I can spend a bit for that. So I guess I better just play dota2 and LoL for now with intel graphics, and save up for the card later on. What do you think?

Is the msi h87 gaming worth it? Or should I save up and get the ASRock H87M?

You'll spend a bit for that and get worse gaming performance.
The majority of your budget should be spent on a GPU for a gaming computer.

You'll spend a bit for that and get worse gaming performance.
The majority of your budget should be spent on a GPU for a gaming computer.

I mean I will still get the gpu, but I need to save up a bit. 500W is enough right?

[Pro-tip] Skip the "H" Intel boards unless you don't care about any sort of OCing, and possibly SLI/crossfire.

That said, AMD will always be cheaper. Perfect for budget builds :thup:
And yes, 500W is the minimum Nvidia recommends.

[Pro-tip] Skip the "H" Intel boards unless you don't care about any sort of OCing, and possibly SLI/crossfire.

That said, AMD will always be cheaper. Perfect for budget builds :thup:
And yes, 500W is the minimum Nvidia recommends.

So, I can OC my GPU on any board?
What about using both HDD and SSD together, can I use it on any board?

I see. Thanks

So, I can OC my GPU on any board?
What about using both HDD and SSD together, can I use it on any board?

I see. Thanks

Any board will OC a GPU. Even those crappy H boards.

As for using the HDD and SSD together (in I presume a hybrid mode where the SSD is used as a caching drive of sorts) depends on the motherboard.

Like the mobo in my sig, I can't use an SSD for caching, bu on the HD3 model, I can as it comes with the mSATA port.

I think nearly all boards have Intel RST. It does not need an mSATA port. Just an SSD and a HDD. ;)

Any board will OC a GPU. Even those crappy H boards.

As for using the HDD and SSD together (in I presume a hybrid mode where the SSD is used as a caching drive of sorts) depends on the motherboard.

Like the mobo in my sig, I can't use an SSD for caching, bu on the HD3 model, I can as it comes with the mSATA port.

I think nearly all boards have Intel RST. It does not need an mSATA port. Just an SSD and a HDD. ;)

I see. Been learning a lot here :D
So which do you think is better? Asrock board or MSI's gaming board? It's like extra 45 bucks here, though for the msi board

"Gaming" boards tend to be midrange boards with a few added bells and whistles like a better NIC for a lot more money than they're worth.

I'd suggest you get either a Gigabyte 970AUD3P (I think that's right) and an FX 6300 or a Z97-A and a 4670K. In either case, the CPU will be overclockable.

Don't tie yourself down with a CPU and MOBO that won't overclock.

Honestly, with your budget, AMD is really the way to go. More money left over for GPU= more performance in gaming.

Back