• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build a gaming rig for ~$600!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jwwpua

A friend of mine is finally upgrading his computer and is looking to spend ~$600 for: CPU, m/b, ram, HD, video, case, psu

He doesn't need quad core or top of the line processor, but something that'll run games w/o a problem. I did however recommend he get 4GB ram b/c it's so cheap now (I just went from 2 to 4 and really notice a difference myself when multitasking while gaming).

From reading a little bit lately, I'm guessing the E8400 would be a good cpu to get, but I have no clue which motherboard to get. (other suggestions welcome)

As for HD, he doesn't need a huge one, maybe a 300gb or so.

Anyways, have at it, and thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh and 1 more thing, it'd be nice to get a m/b and ram that has the potential to OC just in case he wants to do that at some point.

Last edited:
E7200
gigabyte P35-DS3L
2 or 4 gigs of ram. w/e
hd4850
corsair 450vx or something good and relatively cheap.
some hdd. The new WD drives are faster than the seagate 7200.11 drives.

Upgrades you can do...
upgrade mobo to a P5Q pro or a gigabyte P45-DS3R or some people like the biostar I45?

7200 => 8200 etc.

Personally, i believe the 7200 would be the best choice for a budget of ~$600.

the is some good advice you just recived from White pawn . I almost picked up a e7200 yesterday to play with .

Back